Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

Xi

Arcane
Disable post-processing, it's annoying as hell anyway.

I tried this, but it did not work. I suppose I can just download the demo on my PS3. Sigh...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Disable post-processing, it's annoying as hell anyway.

I tried this, but it did not work. I suppose I can just download the demo on my PS3. Sigh...

Honestly if you have a Radeon card I wouldn't bother with the demo. Chances are you aren't going to want to buy it on release as it'll take months if not a year (...if ever) for them to optimize.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Not even worth the USD 59.99 pre order price tag. Can't stand the art design.
Maybe the tutorial was killing my drive, it's always the same mistake devs make with demos. You want people to experience the awesome game parts, not smashing crates for a pair of smelly old boots and pants for 15 minutes, hit level 3 out of 50 only to delete the game completely and lose all meaning of the progress.

What's the selling point? If your selling point is combat, then let them experience one of the class with wide repertoire of weapon choices and moves without being bogged down by dull, uninteresting tutorial or needless narrative.
Even a survival mode where you are given 5 potions and face 99 waves of generic mobs for a demo would've done better than this slow-slogging start.

Alternative to what? 'Combos?' As already mentioned: something like Gothic or Die By the Sword (granted it isn't an ARPG). A system based on timing, blocking, and dodging and not simply chaining attacks in Guitar Hero fashion.

Bro, combo-driven action games tend to be like that, just with combos on top. You still need to worry about timing, blocking, and dodging...it's just that the way you deliver pain to enemies is wrapped up in combo form. I can understand if you find that there tends to be a correlation between combo-emphasis and other elements of action game design (enemies, challenge, etc.) being weaker; I'd tend to agree. But Devil May Cry style games being like Guitar Hero? Lolwhat?

On topic, the game looks interesting, and it is great to see Western developers starting to try and make better action games by focusing more on mechanics that can make for more interesting gameplay rather than being wedded to a pseudo-simulationist style of gameplay that can be quite stifling, especially given how little talent most RPG developers seem to have in making entertaining combat ("Jumping attacks, air-juggles, and exotic weapons? What kind of fantasy do you think this is? Our game has you kill billions of orcs in a much more realistic manner. Hmph!"). I'll probably give this a try in a few months, when I have the ability to. But what will determine whether the game is Meh++ or GOOD SHIT BROS!!!!! is whether or not anything in the game pushes you to really use the combat system. DMC and Bayonetta have some difficult enemies but both rely mostly on scoring to push the player to use the system to the fullest (and, in practice, exploiting it is often more rewarding than playing more "naturally"). Doing combos for shits and giggles can be fun, but I tend to like a game that pushes you a bit. Here's hoping Schilling is involved in another miracle.

Kraszu

Prophet
I hope that some of this combat design goodness will influence FPS games as well, after you had aimed the shot, and clicked lmb the game should change into awesome cinematic QTE experience (combo) that you would continue by pressing the right combination of buttons fast, it would as great of an addition to FPS combat as it is now to melee combat. No more of this boring pseudo stimulatory bs, but fun, fun, fun, fun.

Devil May Cry style games being like Guitar Hero? Lolwhat?

The combos execution play like Guitar Hero, not rest of the game.

Bro, I need to get the Polish version of Guitar Hero then, because the Kwanzanian one demands that you press a set sequence of buttons in a predetermined order with no room for improvisation. I mean, if Polish Guitar Hero gives me some "moves" and allows me to mix them up in different strings, depending on the current situation in the "song", it would probably be worth playing. Maybe it wouldn't be as much fun as a drunken party game, but I'd definitely like to try it. Is it on GoG?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Bro, I need to get the Polish version of Guitar Hero then, because the Kwanzanian one demands that you press a set sequence of buttons in a predetermined order with no room for improvisation. I mean, if Polish Guitar Hero gives me some "moves" and allows me to mix them up in different strings, depending on the current situation in the "song", it would probably be worth playing. Maybe it wouldn't be as much fun as a drunken party game, but I'd definitely like to try it. Is it on GoG?

Nah, but I believe DMC is on Steam. :codexisfor:

Stinger

Arcane
Guitar Hero is RPG because you role play a guitar hero.

It's true, when I played Guitar Hero I imagined what kind of personality my character had. I thought that my character had grown up with a shoddy guitar and so he had a lot of difficulty with certain combinations so when I played I deliberately failed on those combinations- really added to my immersion.

It took a few weeks for my character to actually tell me his name- L'arper.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I hope that some of this combat design goodness will influence FPS games as well, after you had aimed the shot, and clicked lmb the game should change into awesome cinematic QTE experience (combo) that you would continue by pressing the right combination of buttons fast, it would as great of an addition to FPS combat as it is now to melee combat. No more of this boring pseudo stimulatory bs, but fun, fun, fun, fun.

Heh, Fair Codexia never fails to surprise me with the bullshit it spews. Keep up the good work.

Majestic47

Learned
The guitar hero system where they tell you WHAT EXACTLY YOU HAVE TO DO TO WIN is a combo system?
ON SCREEN POP OUT : Press Green Green Green Blue Blue Green =Combo execution ? Simon says is a combo execution?

wake the fuck up please. i had a hard day at the office but reading this is just painful. please. please please. please. please. fuck the pain away.

Kraszu

Prophet
With combos you just want to keep you opponent in stun lock, or in the air when he can't attack you but you can attack him, you can't seriously say that this is some creative decision making on what move to use, that part is pretty easy, pressing the buttons fast enough is the hard part. After you figure out the combo it is like guitar Hero but without hints on screen just with it being memorized.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

According to this, every game plays like Guitar Hero, since you have to push buttons in order to achieve something.

It's like Fable only with a better combat system. So.... it's not an RPG, not at all.

I must say that the multi-classing options in the game are interesting thought, but it's not a game I'd buy at launch. No, no, no, nooooooo... Perhaps the Steam summer sales will provide this year as well.

Kraszu

Prophet

According to this, every game plays like Guitar Hero, since you have to push buttons in order to achieve something.

No, there is a difference between pressing awsdawsdaws fast to execute a combo, and adopting to what is happening. The same combos work against the same enemies. Combo is nothing more then pressing a specific combination of buttons fast that can be played fully by memory.

Kraszu

Prophet
Kraszu FFS. You might as well have said "I have never played a good action game" and be done with it.

Like DMC3?

Some combos:
,—,,/,—,, - Damages not only the enemy in front of you, but also those who wish to blindside you.
++/++ - A powerful attack that launches an enemy skyward. By holding down /, you will follow the enemy up into the air.
++/++ Skewer an enemy at high speed with an attack sure to send them flying. Level 2 is a powered version that has even greater range.

You can mix combos use combo1,combo3,combo6 but the basic problem of difficulty coming mostly from pressing set combination of buttons fast stay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom