Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jeff Vogel talks about Geneforge 4

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Geneforge 4; Spiderweb Software

Jeff Vogel, aka <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/>Spiderweb Software</a>, has shared his <a href=http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000941;p=>notes on Geneforge 4</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I've been spending a lot of time of late, when not debugging Avernum 4 for Windows, sketching out the plot and world for Geneforge 4 and designing some interface stuff. Here's a little advance info, for general interest.
<br>
<br>
All of this is subject to change. Of course.
<br>
<br>
I want the Mac version to be out this year. It will, like Avernum 4, run at 1024 x 768 resolution. The days of our 800 x 600 games are gone forever.
<br>
<br>
I am focusing heavily on improved animations and spell effects. There will be a greater variety of effects, and they will be prettier.
<br>
<br>
Since the end of Geneforge 3, the rebellion against the Shapers has begun. You will play rebels, not Shapers, though you will develop shaping abilities early in the game. Without shaping, it's not Geneforge.
<br>
<br>
At this point, your character can be a human or a servile. There will be three character classes that take the role of Shaper/Agent/Guardian. I really like how that set works.
<br>
<br>
The skill list will stay the same, most likely, as I think it works very well. There will probably be 3 new creations and 8 new spells.
<br>
<br>
There will be three overall factions/sets of endings, but one of them is more hidden than the others.
<br>
<br>
A number of characters from Geneforge 3 will return.
<br>
<br>
I want the game to have many more scripted events and big battles. It's a war, and I want you to be mixed up in it.
<br>
<br>
I've never been entirely happy with how mines and traps work, so I'm tinkering with that. I want to find a way for Tool Use heavy zones to be a more fun experience.
<br>
<br>
I want to rework stealth so it's clearer what's going on and when a creature can see you.
<br>
<br>
I want to implement weather. It won't affect play so much, but it'll be pretty.</blockquote>Can't say that I'm overly excited as Jeff seems to focus on what has never been the strength of his games, but we shall see.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>wizard</b>

Balor

Arcane
Well, I recall even you (unless I'm mistaken) noted that old engine is getting way TOO dated.
Looks like he is bent on improving it. Does not sound too bad.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No, I didn't have any problems with the engine. The point is, unless he would write a completely new one, any visual improvements would be a waste of time. I'd rather see a cool story, more role-playing opportunities, more dynamic world, than a weather system or new spell effects.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I think the graphics are fine and always have been. I wish he focused on improving combat. But, the biggest complaints, I'm sure, are about stupid shit like resolution, effects, pixels, and stupid superficial shit. Not something important like combat.

wizard

Liturgist
My only problem with the geneforge engine is that it has no elevation. If it would have elevation it would be a great engine.
btw it's great to have my name mentioned in the frontpage :P

Jason

chasing a bee
I would have never thought there were any problems with mines and traps, of all things. The stiff combat deserves a lot more attention than those.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I'm happy with a move to 1024x768 and I really wish he would improve that awful interface art but otherwise, I'd say combat needs the most work. It's hard for me to see how weather could be "pretty" with anything like the current engine.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I'm not attacking Jeff or what he does as I like all he games and respect what he does (as well as support him with my money). I also don't care about graphics.

I would like to see a better functioning UI as a minor point. But besides that, and I see this in a lot of new indy TB games, the combat is just sub-par. It becomes an event just to get through, instead of something enjoyable. PtD had okay combat, but it was also party based and would have been just as bad as the rest if it single character. Tuelgor is a perfect example of this also, great game minus the horrible combat.

I asked a question on rpgdot about Dhruin asking about the eschalon game's combat during his interview, and it just seemed like people didn't get it. Its not just being TB, its being good TB. Imagine ToEE's combat in Arcanum. Or Silent Storm's combat in Darklands (oh wait, that would be Hammer and Sickle, the most underrated game in history).

It seems the Indy devs get the story part, nail the great setting, give you plenty of choices, and just forget that combat is crucial. If you are going TB, but not putting anything into the combat (strategy and choices) might as well go RT to make it quicker.

Ashes look like they understand this (from what I've read) and AoD looks like it will have good combat (as single character TB just will never be truely great since you can't have the various layers of strategy, a fraction of the overall chardev and chargen choices, and overall goal of perfect synergy), but for the most part combat is ignored.

2, he also said he went music, sound, graphics light in an interview a while ago because he wanted his game to be more accessible, is this still a problem? Probably at least not nearly as much of one. But if he just sticks with this engine he can keep churning out games non-graphic whores will like and buy. Its not like the graphics were ever good. Why all the complaints now? Is it because he has some serious competition in the indy market? And should the indy market value graphics over such an important aspect of gameplay--combat? And if it does, that really will be the end of real rpgs.

I wish I could spell good without msword.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Great! Another overrated game in an overrated series. :roll:

And, yet, you Codexers will cum over it because it has (boring) turn based combat.

I'll stick to playing TOEE (even though I don't play it, lol) as it actually has a good turn base combat system.

R00fles!

JanC

Liturgist
If Spiderweb Software games are going to have graphics, they might as well be reasonable. Otherwise they could be roguelikes for all the difference it makes. I don't think there is any danger of the focus moving from gameplay to graphics.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Geneforge's character system is better than Avernums, but Avernum has always been more solid.

Those things he said all sound quite good for Geneforge 4 and if he improved the combat, it would be super.

I dont mind him reusing the engine, but doing the same things over and over for characters and plot has gotten boring, being in a rebellion with playable Serviles will be quite interseting.

Avernum 2 was my favorite Avernum because of the war, so Geneforge 4 will probably be pretty awesome too.

I just want better combat, thats it. Reusing the engine is fine if there is going to be improvements, many many a game has done that method.

Jason

chasing a bee
I'm digging Avernum 4 so far because it's the first Avernum where I can actually tell what's happening on the screen. The writing is pretty nice, too. All it needs is better combat and I'll be a happy camper.

PS
Yay! Patrick isn't dead!

LlamaGod

Cipher
I was really sick and also busy with schoolinz

any free time I wasnt laying in bed or writing in books was spent with Ultima 4

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Baby Arm you should really get on IRC or something so you're up to date and don't look like a total goober from last week.

Plus, you're a pretty cool dude and aside from me, pat, nico, and sometimes Spazmo there ain't much going on in IRCville.

Jason

chasing a bee
No, this is as close to actual human contact as I get. I'm afraid of someone stealing my powerful amazon juju. Now stop looking at me.

LCJr.

Erudite
I'd rather see him do something completely original and without so much damn combat. I really enjoyed Geneforge but G2 felt like more of the same and G3 less of the same only linear. He's selling himself short with his overuse of combat and doing the same things over and over. He's shown he can write a good story he just needs to do more of it. And he needs to do something original again. Not just the setting and story but the way he designs things. After you've played a couple of his games you know where the hidden loot and secret passages are going to be. In short it seems to me the man is in a rut. But apparently it's a profitable rut so what do I know.

I doubt being able to play a rebel or servile will end up being all that different. He's already said the classes will be about the same and you'll learn shaping early so it'll be the same thing with a different graphic for your character. I'm betting 2 of the 3 factions will "kill all shapers" and "negotiate a peace/equal rights with shapers" ala the Takers and Awakened in G1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom