Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Stanley Parable - Free Source Mod (Now a Full Game)

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
https://www.stanleyparable.com

The Stanley Parable is an (in my opinion) very brilliantly creative mod for Half Life 2 that you should check out if you have half an hour to spare. It's very short, and takes a lot of jabs at the current state of choice and consequence in gaming.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable

Even if you don't have HL2, you can use TF2 (Free) or the Source SDK kit (also free) to play the game, thus making it completely free.

There's a lot to be said about it, but I'd rather not ruin anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Satan

Educated
Indeed, this is amazing mod :D And has a great replayability.

You are Stanley. You clicked on the link Phage posted. Then you went for download of the mod. You installed it and after restarting Steam you gave it a try. You have enjoyed it.

Caim

Arcane
:necro:

The Stanley Parable sequel/remake/whatever will be released next week, the demo (20-25 minutes or so) can be enjoyed on Steam right now.

Game will be, like the first one, free.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a fun 'concept game' -- glad to see the new version is free. Not really worth anything.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
The demo reached new heights of meta-ness when my roommate started randomly listening The Beatles and Eight Days a Week played while I frantically pressed the 8 button.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Game will be, like the first one, free.
Will it? The demo seemed to imply otherwise.
Well, there's no price shown on Steam, so I'm fairly certain it's free.
I think that's just cause its not up for preorder or something. The narrator says many times in the demo something along the lines of "How can I show you this game is good enough to spend real money on?" Although it may just be meta-ness.

My thoughts exactly. I was given the link to the trailer earlier and people kept telling me "but it's just a joke, and I think it's brilliant". Do people actually fall for this anti-marketing stuff? "We're going to mislead you entirely without giving you any real info but we will pretend it's all a joke. It's nothing like those deceptive overhyped trailers that take themselves seriously. Aren't we brilliant?"

And if you say this out loud you get accused of being Drog Raphael, the (admittedly autistic as fuck) guy who sent the devs an email saying it was banalshitboring. Fanbase confirmed as hipster hugbox, nuke from orbit

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The demo actually harms the game, it turns what was a fun and thought-provoking mod into a "2deep4you" game, with appropriately retarded audience to couple with. Seriously, just read that thread on Steam, half the people there didn't even play the original mod yet claim they love it, and there's even this:

Arctura said:
I had never heard of this game before and downloaded the demo mostly based on the exploration description and the screenshots. Most of the demo was a long wtf for me, and although I guess I will buy it eventually it's more because of the Eurogamer approval than the demo. Probably more despite the demo than because of it.

These people deserve the shitty gaming industry they have.

Caim

Arcane
"I'll buy it because Eurogamer told me despite me being thorougly confused by it."

This is it. We have reached peak retard. We went 88 retards per retard and retardo'd to the future retard.

¤ βℓооđч ¤ Nico-Kun! said:
Felipepepe said:
Not only you're arguing about a game you never even played, but how can there be no player choice if there are 6 endings, all completly different, all based on the choices you make?
It seems you're the one that's not "getting" the original mod; sure, it did have six different endings, but tell me, how much freedom did you actually have? They were all pre-determined, and not in the sense that they, obviously, were developed that way, but in the sense that the Narrator was always in control of the situation. And yes, I did play the original mod, back when it was first released, and yes, I did enjoy this demo. It's not exactly as the mod, of course it's not, but the spirit is still there. The mocking of modern gaming, what's with all those new features and such. Also, you can't honestly claim that the devs have no idea what the game is about; they made it, after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom