Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 has gone full popamole.

Yeesh

Magister
Most sane people refuse to accept the Retarded States way of saying one thing and meaning the opposite.
Polar opposite? If he'd said Blizzard is going to kick ass with Diablo, would anyone have misunderstood?

EDIT: And nobody asked you filthy foreigners to interact with us anyway. Just send us your goods and monies. There's not need to converse.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Only on the codex can base urban terminology be misread as a consolification of a game thats already consolized.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Most sane people refuse to accept the Retarded States way of saying one thing and meaning the opposite.
Polar opposite? If he'd said Blizzard is going to kick ass with Diablo, would anyone have misunderstood?
No, because it's globally accepted that "kicking ass" is a positive thing. So is "making a killing". Those two make sense. But to say you've had five awesome years at a company and saying that something (Diablo 3) is going to "kill it" doesn't make sense in a positive manner. He had to clarify it because it's a retarded expression that makes no sense in any context. End of argument.

EDIT: And nobody asked you filthy foreigners to interact with us anyway. Just send us your goods and monies. There's not need to converse.
Of course, it's not like the US was founded and built by Europeans and Asians and Africans and Native Americans or anything.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My favorite confusing slang example is with the word 'bomb'.
'The bomb' is good. 'To bomb' is bad.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Man, that shit is the bomb! VS. Man, that shit bombed!

So...
Negative-loaded word as adjective = good
Negative-loaded word as verb/used in context of a verb = bad

Maybe? I don't know. I'm not getting paid for this.

Seriously, I love the US, don't get me wrong, but you're driving me crazy.

ALSO AMERICAN FOOTBALL WHAT THE FUCK?!!!! IT'S PLAYED WITH YOUR HANDS GODDAMMIT!!!

Yeesh

Magister
No, because it's globally accepted that "kicking ass" is a positive thing. So is "making a killing". Those two make sense. But to say you've had five awesome years at a company and saying that something (Diablo 3) is going to "kill it" doesn't make sense in a positive manner. He had to clarify it because it's a retarded expression that makes no sense in any context. End of argument.
Listen, I can see where the confusion came from, truly I can. But you're saying an expression that you're familiar with is globally accepted so it makes sense, and that an only slightly different expression you're not as familiar with is retarded and shouldn't be used by anyone, when in fact the only difference between the two expressions is that you're familiar with the one and not the other.

People say I killed it and we murdered it, and performers in particular have been saying "we killed them out there" for a long, long time.

Also, this is Twitter. It's not like he prepared a fucking press release. You're allowed to use expressions.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Diablo is Hack & Slay, and has nothing to do with (A)RPGs at all.

Um, wrong. Stats = RPG elements. Combine with hack n slash and presto...aRPG. Sorry if you don't like it, but those are the facts.
RPG elements constitutes now a full RPG?

Hey guise, Starcraft 2 is an RPG now, 'cause I can put points into my Terran Mech.

Diablo is a very specific style of game, we used to call it Hack & Slash.

ARPG is something like Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Twitcher, whatever. Basically everything that plays like an action game but still contains RPG traits, like multiple-choice dialogs and C&C.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Listen, I can see where the confusion came from, truly I can. But you're saying an expression that you're familiar with is globally accepted so it makes sense, and that an only slightly different expression you're not as familiar with is retarded and shouldn't be used by anyone
You misunderstand. I have no problem with "Diablo 3 is going to kill!" That's also (semi-) easy to understand slang. I have a problem with the wording. Diablo 3 is apparently going to kill his amazing five years, everything he built at Blizzard. Hardly positive. I have a problem with his sloppy wording, and I can't see that it makes a difference if he replaces it. Maybe it goes from outright negative to confusing the fuck out of everyone. He's still saying Diablo 3 is somehow affecting his amazing 5 years at this company.

If he meant to write "I'm no longer working at this company but I've had 5 great years. Diablo 3 is coming and it's going to rock" he failed by writing "I've had 5 great years and Diablo 3 is going to kill it." It's poor English. I don't care if it's twitter. There's room for punctuation, anything to separate his 5 great years and Diablo 3's "awesomeness".

Yes, Twitter is serious business because it's fucking shit. As in shit shit, not as in the shit shit.

Yeesh

Magister
Hey Yeesh, you fucking idiot, the reason why Diablo 2 is supported for so long is because battle.net is actually profitable. Every time you end up in the lobby, you see an ad. And the fact battle.net is hugely profitable means Diablo 2 pays for itself, 10 years on. You also conveniently forget the millions of people who got banned for things as small as a maphack. Diablo 2 is a fucking drug, and Blizzard bans people who then go again and buy the $30 boxset. Not to mention many other games still have multiplayer available for years after their release. Personally I'm not buying another Blizzard game ever again. Their DNA has been the same and they just don't give a fuck about you.
I'm not an expert on this, but my google fu suggests that the ads showed up on battle.net after 8 or 9 years of Blizzard offering free Diablo II online play on their closed servers. I'm sorry that doesn't make the cut for you in terms of when constitutes good support for a game. I do have to wonder what exactly you people WOULD praise a company for in this context? Again not talking about the games themselves but as far as how they are taken care of after release. What is enough for you to say of a company, "they're a good one."

You're never buying another Blizzard product because they ban people for cheating on the closed realms.
You're never buying another Blizzard product because they use advertizing to support their free online play instead of charging a fee.
You're never buying another Blizzard product because their games are shit and not fun at all but are like drugs people are addicted to.
You're never buying another Blizzard product because they make games for money and not for love.

Okay, cool. Hey, why don't you let us know which companies do meet your high standards for game purchases?

DraQ

Arcane
Man, that shit is the bomb! VS. Man, that shit bombed!

So...
Negative-loaded word as adjective = good
Negative-loaded word as verb/used in context of a verb = bad
To kill it = verb.
:smug:

Maybe? I don't know. I'm not getting paid I never asked for this.
:incline:'d

ALSO AMERICAN FOOTBALL WHAT THE FUCK?!!!! IT'S PLAYED WITH YOUR HANDS GODDAMMIT!!!
:salute:

American football is american for "pussified rugby".

Also known as the new shit rugby. Now with armour DLC and celeb cameos. It'll be the bomb but I hope it doesn't bomb.

gromit

Arcane
I'm sure all Euro-slang makes complete and utter literal sense.
"I've had a great five years and they're going to kill it" is pretty poor phrasing to use in text, though.

Gregz

Arcane
facepalm.jpg

Guys, "kill it" is not a bad thing. It's a compliment.

This was my reaction too. You must remember many Codexers aren't hip to Americanisms.

I'm American and I didn't understand what he meant. I read 'kill it' as 'fuck it up' or 'ruin it'. Hell the guy might be trolling with a net, said what was on his mind about the direction the company is taking (we don't know the circumstances of how or why he left), but said it in such a way that he could claim he was using slang.

I've heard of 'crush it', or 'nail it' as meaning 'perfect job' but not 'kill it'...but I'm not in college anymore and don't watch a lot of TV these days so who knows...

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Diablo 3 has gone full derp. auction house remember, Blizzard is just trying to milk money out of every game now that they have seen their god, World of Warcraft.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's slang but it's awful slang like how people say 'drop' instead of release. Yo yo yo when's D3 gonna drop?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haha. Look at all these butthurt faggots who are too proud to admit they are wrong and instead start anti-American, ethnocentric circle-jerk.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Then it's not "slang," it's "saying stuff."
Slang is usually spoken.
It's a twitter post, not a press release or treatise - nothing wrong with conversational grammar and tone. If you get that butt-hurt over casual wording, you should probably just not read foreigners' twitter feeds.
But you don't forget your commas (for example) in a conversation.

Also: calling someone butthurt is a rather lazy way out of a discussion, isn't it? Was it by any chance invented by the Americans?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom