Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Beta

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
People who were fooled into buying the abysmal War of Magic can now beta test Fallen Enchantress.

Why bother? Because it actually seems to be quite an improvement over the shitty original.

Post your impressions here! I'll have mine up later tonight.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Now this is what I call a useful post, thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Bah, only those who pre-ordered War of Magic get to play the beta now, those of us who bought it at release must wait until next week :decline:

Ashery

Prophet
Is it worth the effort to unwrap my foolishly pre-ordered copy?

Yeesh

Magister
I may be a sucker, but I'm excited about this one. I avoided the original but I know they've been working hard to make FE a much better game. Would love to see some impressions from anyone in beta.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Alright I played until the game crashed (heh). I did some adventuring, researching, combat vs. wilds, looting and building. I created my own faction and hero. Barely any interaction with an enemy faction besides a friendly hello.
But it was fun. War of Magic wasn't fun - this is.

The biggest improvement, from what I experienced, was combat. I have to be honest and say I didn't really understand city growth, shards, and all that jazz. Can't really comment on A.I. either, but I had monsters and stuff chasing and doing pretty logical things. My city didn't spawn next to auto-win tile of winning nor did there seem to be any exceptional advantages from character traits.

Mortmal

Arcane
Played it all the afternoon, so i can at least say its fun. I' ve no found blatant imblances like in elemental,for example fireball type spells take two turns to cast, you can no longer eradicate the whole battlefield from start, units been rebalanced no invincible units after a few tunrs, all good so far. The IA was quite decent at attacking and conquering , in overall fights are more strategic with units getting more traits and specific abiltiies,. A few crashes ,a few glitches but its in better shape than many released games.I think a bit more polishing is required, eventualy some more diplomatic options, as indeed you can say hello to the other faction and thats about all, no more marriages and dynasty. This game will probably redeem stardock and i salute the effort, first time they offer a new game as payback of a bad release.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Started playing today. Definitely feels more fun than the first installment, fucking wolf packs goddamit. World is more alive, full of stuff to kill or explore. Still a low-level hero can get easily defeated (I mean really easily - a single shitty darkling warrior didn't have any problems with my second level guy), which doesn't kill him (popamole) but can give him traits (some negative, some just for flavour, like missing ear - "what?" :M). Still very early in the game, so can't tell much about economy, town management and high-level stuffies. What I would like to see are more diverse factions, right now two traits (half of which are "you start with one technology") are far from enough.
in terms of technical stuff, experienced one CtD while trying to start a new game (nothing serious), but no option to define hotkeys and the fact that you have to hold LMB to scroll the map is rage-inducing.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yeah map scrolling is retarded. accidentally clicked my hero to move several times. I don't like the auto-turn either but there's probably an option to turn that off.

Misconnected

Savant
Stable like a house of cards, as expected. Massive GUI improvements, but the actual game mechanics are still super-sekret. Or not mentioned anywhere, at least. Yes, this is a pet hate of mine.

Other than that, I haven't really had enough time to say much. I strongly suspect the Perky Traits & Things don't eliminate the power curve problem E:WoM had, but I can't be sure yet. If I'm right, though, that's kind of a big bad. Especially since it seems battlefields are exactly the same as in E:WoM. The combination will make tactical combat really brainless and really boring really fast.

I would have thought by this late stage those would be much rarer.

They've made it abundantly clear that people should expect the current beta to be bug paradise. So... I think you think it's further along than Stardock thinks.

Yeah, crashed on like turn 8 for me. Tactical combat is definitely improved, but still really fucking boring, and your hero doesn't seem like an absolute god right from the get go. Like the tech tree better, still don't love it though.

Meh, maybe I'm just not a fan of turn based strategy anymore.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Meh, maybe I'm just not a fan of turn based strategy anymore.
Try Eien no Aselia. While it's somehow easy, as long as you don't attack these dragons, it's fairly detailed and nice.
Elven legacy was also nice turn based strategy. Roleplaying wargame. Gadget Trial.

Even aurora2.pentarch.org is nice.

Then there are WWII games.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Victoria 2 was beautiful, when fully patched. HOI2 Armageddon allowed to play as the better China. (when you send them some resources.) On the other hand Roleplaying wargame was kick ass, (princess and sir... were deadly and that caste building was quite nice, and overall it worked well together) The other mentioned are also better stuff.

HOI3 was rather step in more railroaded direction, while it improved armies and had more detailed map, it has less consistency and basically kills smaller countries.

Yeesh

Magister
They've made it abundantly clear that people should expect the current beta to be bug paradise. So... I think you think it's further along than Stardock thinks.
Surely I'm untutored in the ways of software development. It just seem to me that while bugs in an early beta are to be expected, every single person who reports on the beta mentioning CTDs is a little ominous. We've all been in betas before, and we know that "not-quite finished" doesn't mean "crash crash crash." And this is the same engine that was released more than a year ago.

But of course I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Who knows what the future holds?

Misconnected

Savant
Grand Strategy and 4X games are different genres for a reason: they're not meant to scratch the same itch.

E:FE is along the lines of Civilization, just with magic and tactical battles thrown in, and some seriously beefed up barbarians and goodie huts. I've not yet had time to really get into it, but maybe 4 hours in it looks full of all kinds of promise.

We've all been in betas before, and we know that "not-quite finished" doesn't mean "crash crash crash." And this is the same engine that was released more than a year ago.

Your past experiences with public game betas are not necessarily relevant to future public game betas, and indeed aren't in this case. Stardock has been abundantly clear that the object of the beta at this stage, is to squish bugs and to decide whether E:FE is feature complete.

As for why it's so damn buggy, there's three reasons:
Firstly, E:FE has been re-written to be much more massively multithreaded. This is a good thing because it has made the game both less CPU intensive and faster. But it's also extremely hard create, and that most of it is re-jiggering of a kind does not make it any less hard to fuck up.
Secondly, most of the graphics have been fiddled with in some way since W:WoM, and a fair chunk of new assets added. Unfortunately, from an ease-of-fuckup perspective, there's very little difference between new and modified. New assets have a couple of additional steps you can fuck up, while modified has the existing code-salad to fuck up.
Thirdly, while you might want to think Stardock is some massive transnational in the same league as EA, the fact is they're in the low end of middle-ware and do their own funding. That means they're not capable of bug testing privately to the extent you know from AA and AAA titles. They're ambitious enough to release massively complex games built on entirely new technology anyway, because they're cool little nerds. But they're cool little nerds who needs to do public bug testing to get their shit working reasonably well.

Yeesh

Magister
Oh so I'M saying "My that's ominous that every single person is experiencing crashes, but I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed."

And YOU'RE saying "Yeesh if you were smart you'd know that there's absolutely nothing to worry about at all, so I wish you wouldn't waste our time on such irrelevant observations when clearly the final game will be crash-free."

Misconnected

Savant
Oh so I'M saying "My that's ominous that every single person is experiencing crashes, but I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed."

And YOU'RE saying "Yeesh if you were smart you'd know that there's absolutely nothing to worry about at all, so I wish you wouldn't waste our time on such irrelevant observations when clearly the final game will be crash-free."

I'm saying that when the developer has warned testers in advance that the current build is full of both critical and not-so-critical bugs, and asked us to please submit as many bug reports as we can, the fact that the current version of the beta really is full of critical and not-so-critical bugs is nothing to be surprised or worried about.

If it's still a broken mess of bugs in a month, it will be time to start worrying. By then it should be reasonably bug free and testing should only be about game balance. But for now, it is too early to worry. At least based on the state of the current beta build. If you're worried based on Demigod and E:WoM, all I can say is: me too.

But in that case, you might be interested to know that the first public beta build seems to have been rock solid (and the current is much, much better) compared to the release build of E:WoM, and E:FE has no multiplayer. So... There is some reason to be optimistic. Cautiously optimistic.

Deakul

Augur
So, instead of continuing to fix the original game... they up and work on a brand new one instead?

Fuck this shit.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
So, instead of continuing to fix the original game... they up and work on a brand new one instead?

Fuck this shit.

It's free to anyone that bought the first within the first few months. Fallen Enchantress is somewhere between a standalone expansion and a sequel. I'd rather have them working on this than polishing their original turd any further.

Deakul

Augur
Oh, I bought that shit like a week after it came out without even looking at any reviews or anything.

Was just psyched for a new Master of Magic-esque game.

Sorry, not drinking the cautious optimism after the first time. The game is still kind of shitty. Fuck stardock, stop making games.

Satan

Educated
fuck this, im not going to give it a try again. i have learnt my lesson after oblivion. i wasted $70 on a turd and i want to forget it, not to smell it again.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was deep in the hype so i bought it and yeah it was not good, but hey free update.
I will check it out when i have time and report back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom