Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best stories in RPG - Player's choice

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I judge based on how well you could make a movie about it

Delivery
Baldur's Gate

Pool of Radiance

KOTOR

All would make great movies though neither has an interesting plot

Plot

Gothic

Ultima IV

Mask of the Betrayer

All would make great plot driven movies.

PST had a lot of both but not worthy of the top three.

As a game I thought MotB's story was overrated. The lack of interaction with the main plot element was a real turnoff. As a movie MotB is as good as it gets.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Jaesun: I would define "Best Story" as what "main quest" (perhaps parts if you really liked the characters the story focused on) really had you enjoying the game(s).

Captain Shrek

What is the definition of "Best Story"?

Story for all intents and purposes, can simply be the written part of the narrative. Like the plot, the characters and the dialogue etc. Video games are special in the sense that they allow you to create a limited (very very limited narrative for Bioware) narrative through the game-play. Thus although gameplay is integrated with story in some way, for the need of discussion ot can be (Tragically) isolated.

Good story is where these elements, namely plot characters and dialogue are well written.

This is of course a simplification.

MMXI

Arcane
What is the definition of "Best Story"?
One that doesn't get in the way of the RPG. Therefore the best RPG stories are the ones in Wizardry, Might and Magic and, at a stretch, the Gold Box games.

oscar

Arcane
Who knew villain of the story was such a crying pussy? OMG SEXUAL FETISHIZATION OF ASIAN WOMEN CUSE THERE'S AN ASIAN WOMAN DRESSING IN THE SAME WAY ALL WOMEN IN RPG'S DRESS EXCEPT SHE'S ASIAN INSTEAD OF A BIG-TITTED BLONDE IN A CHAINMAIL BIKINI, WHEN WILL WHITE PEOPLE LEARN??????

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
as asian, i am offended by this forum. fuck you guys. i'm off to rpgwatch. or sleep.
Reported for using a variation of my "fuck this shit I'm going home" which got me banned.

Ban RK47.

I bet he's not even a real asian.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
RK47, let me assure you that I love katanas. Also, chinese food. For the spirit of international friendship, an image from ze Oktoberfest:

885275489-japaner-oktoberfest.9.jpg

Druschba.

Deleted Andy's report.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Man, the asians and the germs are keeping together. I see how it is. Nowhere to hide.

Not-Reported Ventilator for being a cocksucker.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I always hate when villains hold long monologues in a very smug tone, just to be crushed at the end.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I always hate when villains hold long monologues in a very smug tone, just to be crushed at the end.

Watchmen kind of ripped on this trope.

"I'm not a comic book villain. Do you seriously think I would explain my master stroke to you if there were even the slightest possibility you could affect the outcome? I triggered it 35 minutes ago."

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist

Watchmen kind of ripped on this trope.

"I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I would explain my master stroke to you if there were even the slightest possibility you could affect the outcome? I triggered it 35 minutes ago."
:x FIXED IT FOR YOU!

Gregz

Arcane
For me a cRPG story = writing, voice acting, scenery, locations, plot twists, events, and characters.

So the question is, which cRPG best uses those elements (anything but music and combat mechanics) to maximize immersion?

1) Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines (does just about everything I want a story to do in a cRPG, thick with atmosphere, highly immersive)
2) System Shock 2 (Creepy, smart writing, mystery, Shodan, betrayal, the hive mind :obviously:, etc., very immersive)
3) Deus Ex (Mystery, intrigue, conspiracy, moral dilemmas, memorable locations)
4) Borderlands (yeah, I said it...great writing, voice acting, and memorable characters...no interaction or C&C to speak of, but the rest is done so well it feels as if you are interacting, that's hard to pull off)
5) ??? (a fallout, a thief, PsT, blah blah blah)

Captain Shrek

You could have a good story without voice acting. When you read books for example.

DraQ

Arcane
PST, Witcher 2, to a lesser degree Witcher 1 (points decked for more overt villainy and some lore fails).
Morrowind if backstory counts as story.
Deus Ex might qualify because of attention to detail.

I'm leaving out Anachronox merely because it doesn't qualify as an RPG.

FONV is still on my "to be played" list.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
PST, Witcher 2, to a lesser degree Witcher 1 (points decked for more overt villainy and some lore fails).

Define "RPG".

MMXI

Arcane

Define "RPG".
Anachronox is as much an RPG as The Witcher 1 and 2. Perhaps even more so. DraQ is a very odd individual!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom