Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Neeshka

Educated
lol nice one

SDeden

Novice
So Skyrim is worse because it doesn't completely segregate main plot and gameplay?

What? How would you segregate the game play from the main plot? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Skyrim weaves together the main plot and everything else a little too much. Like say, how you can open a book and start a quest to put together an artifact but it turns out one piece you need is in a dungeon that you can only get into by joining a guild. That's terrible design.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So Skyrim is worse because it doesn't completely segregate main plot and gameplay?

What? How would you segregate the game play from the main plot? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Skyrim weaves together the main plot and everything else a little too much. Like say, how you can open a book and start a quest to put together an artifact but it turns out one piece you need is in a dungeon that you can only get into by joining a guild. That's terrible design.

The terrible design is that any schmuck can be a member of the Mages Guild regardless of magical ability.

Now it is unlucky from the player's perspective that it requires someone in the Mage's Guild to complete the quest but there's no problem unless you're working under the assumption that the player should be able to access all of a game's content in a single playthrough and succeed at everything whether or not it makes sense from a lore or gameworld perspective.

The artifact quest is not plot essential, it's one of those "side plot that fleshes out the world and give you an excuse to kill zombies" type quests. So, I see no reason why you need it to be obtainable regardless of the kind of character you make, even if it's not "fair" as long as the reason(s) given are internally consistent within the universe. Which they more or less are.

It may be annoying for the player but there's no harm done IMO. Well, to your quest log maybe.

reaven

Educated
I finally went around trying skyrim. Sadly I paid for it, something I will regret all my life.
This is the most boring and shallow game I've ever played, even in Modern Warfare there is a sense of style and design as generic it may be. This just feels like a template, like the default models that come with an engine to test things out, its compeltelly lacking on any kind of personality.
The voice acting is terrible.
All the quests are fetching, kill X or a mix of the both.
The level scaling is worse than ever: If you level up too much forgetting about your combat skills you're done, enemies will 1 shot you and you can take 10 minutes to kill a strong one. The other way around applies, if you focus on combat you chop down everything in seconds, something really fun in the game's brilliant combat.
For every new feature they added they seem to have removed 3 old ones. Some of which are quite unnecessary for me, like crafting.
The world is smaller than ever, every new TES shrinks it more, the next one will be a couple of towns and 8 dungeons. Oh the dungeons, completely linear, I didn't think they could be worse than oblivion but the game is a box of surprises.
But alas, Im sure you've already read plenty posts like this one. I only hope I can get something out of my money when some good mods appear.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

The terrible design is that any schmuck can be a member of the Mages Guild regardless of magical ability.

Now it is unlucky from the player's perspective that it requires someone in the Mage's Guild to complete the quest but there's no problem unless you're working under the assumption that the player should be able to access all of a game's content in a single playthrough and succeed at everything whether or not it makes sense from a lore or gameworld perspective.

The artifact quest is not plot essential, it's one of those "side plot that fleshes out the world and give you an excuse to kill zombies" type quests. So, I see no reason why you need it to be obtainable regardless of the kind of character you make, even if it's not "fair" as long as the reason(s) given are internally consistent within the universe. Which they more or less are.

It may be annoying for the player but there's no harm done IMO. Well, to your quest log maybe.

Wrong I had to agree to Join the Magic guild to get access to College Library which was needed in Fucking main quest. :x
I think Rogue character could just pickpocket the damn key but this is fucking lazy design. Adding line using bribery and/or Legion/Stormcloak rank is too much to ask Beth? :roll:

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Wrong I had to agree to Join the Magic guild to get access to College Library which was needed in Fucking main quest. :x
I think Rogue character could just pickpocket the damn key but this is fucking lazy design. Adding line using bribery and/or Legion/Stormcloak rank is too much to ask Beth? :roll:
You can go to the hermit directly to get the Elder Scroll quest and completely avoid the College, IIRC

Why would the mages give a fuck about legion/stormcloak faggots anyway

As not wanting to upset teh Authorities? Look at AoD where the guilds relations are done right. Besides Hermit was not pointed in any way or form (by Esbern atleast) and was sitting right in the centre of fucking ice wasteland. Not a place my :obviously: Equitus Cirodelis would visit by random. By going your way I could just type the code and get teleported to Sovenguard.
But please continue to defend lazy design and Devs having no idea what is Role Playing.

DraQ

Arcane
I'm talking about oblivion where demonic hordes invaded to end the world but you could take your time doing sidequests and guild quests all over the place with no ill consequences.
I'm talking about oblivion where a demonic horde completely demolished a guarded, walled city only to be taken out almost single-handedly by possibly a level one n00b.

It's not limited to the MQ either. I'm talking about Oblivion where Thogg Smash, the mentally impaired barbarian could become an archmage without ever casting a spell.

I finally went around trying skyrim. Sadly I paid for it, something I will regret all my life.
This is the most boring and shallow game I've ever played, even in Modern Warfare there is a sense of style and design as generic it may be. This just feels like a template, like the default models that come with an engine to test things out, its compeltelly lacking on any kind of personality.
[Perception] You haven't played Oblivion.

Bought Skyrim awhile back and after putting in a large amount of time into the game I have to say that I've come to the conclusion that Bethesda is a mediocre developer.

Skyrim held my interest initially but after the "new car smell" wore off I began to see things that I felt were rather lacking.

Writing was just plain bad. A perfect example would be how the Dark Brotherhood quest line gets started. You begin by hearing of a boy in Windhelm who is performing a ritual to summon the Dark Brotherhood and have someone killed; everyone seemingly knows about this, including the city guards. My first thought was, "why doesn't anybody go into his house and apprehend him?" Apparently, this is a job only a hero such as yourself can do.

Animation is still not up to par with what other developers are putting out. Combat animations are one of them. In one encounter, I was fighting a skeletal dragon and was taking a lot of damage, so I decided to hide behind a large pillar where the dragon couldn't reach me. Turns out he could, my character slid to the side (about eight feet or so) out form behind the pillar so that the dragon could execute some sort of death move, lol.

Game logic is just terrible, unless your a mildly retarded adult or a child. After completing a handful of quests, it's decided that you're fit to be head of the guild by said guild's most senior ranking member because they're not up to it. What? Apparently it's always a good idea to hand over the keys to your establishment to someone who just showed up one day, and who won't be around to handle all the mundane day to day tasks that you'd think would be required of a guild leader. Oh yeah and the only requirement to join is that you have to be a warm body.

Voice work is grossly uneven, with a variety of different accents with some not really fitting the setting; and they still need to hire more voice actors!

The Elder Scrolls use to be an RPG franchise, now it looks as though Todd Howard has changed it into a combat adventure game set in a sandbox. Character development is extremely shallow with stats replaced by perks and dialog that's been reduced to either persuade or bribe. The NPC are completely uninspiring; with not a single one standing out in my mind.

Nitpicking: there are groups of wolves that you can encounter every fifty feet or so, but hardly any deer, at least not in the numbers to sustain such a large population wolves. The "cities" are in reality, small towns with very small populations. The economics of said cities aren't really fleshed out or how these people are able to sustain themselves; Whiterun has farms that are the size of someone's backyard garden.

With the time and the amount of money Bethesda had to spend on this game, I was really expecting something better. Why does their animation and writing departments suck so bad? Why the fuck can't they implement believable societies? This will be the last product I buy from them barring an out-sourced project ala Obsidian's New Vegas.

Oh yeah, Skyrim's combat = glorified rock/paper/scissors.

SDeden

Novice
I'm talking about oblivion where demonic hordes invaded to end the world but you could take your time doing sidequests and guild quests all over the place with no ill consequences.
I'm talking about oblivion where a demonic horde completely demolished a guarded, walled city only to be taken out almost single-handedly by possibly a level one n00b.

It's not limited to the MQ either. I'm talking about Oblivion where Thogg Smash, the mentally impaired barbarian could become an archmage without ever casting a spell.

Oh that, right. Well like I said I think Skyrim goes a bit too far in the other direction. The main quest kind of tricks a lot of people into joining guilds which isn't any better for roleplaying.

Personally I don't see why we always need a main quest in these TES games. Just once I'd like a sand box with lots of different storylines I can follow that doesn't have some grave end of the world scenario hanging over my head. I don't always want to roleplay a hero who is forced to save the world.

SDeden

Novice

...but you see, Skryim gives me the impression that it wants the player to do everything with one character.

Why can't I steal the key to access that dungeon, or just pick the lock? Why can't I buy my way inside, or talk my way in, or coerce my way in, or fight my way in?

Or why don't they just let me do the quest that involves that dungeon only in a different context?

If you are a warrior-type say then the mages agree to let you go on the expedition as extra protection. If you're a rogue-ish type then you are along to help bypass traps and other obstacles.

So you do the quest and afterwards the mages say, "Thanks for the help, but this is a College matter from here onward so you are dismissed."

The artifact quest isn't essential, but I loathe having my quest journal filled to the brim with quests I have no means or no desire to complete. At least let me cancel the quests.

Commissar Draco

Patron

...but you see, Skryim gives me the impression that it wants the player to do everything with one character.

Why can't I steal the key to access that dungeon, or just pick the lock? Why can't I buy my way inside, or talk my way in, or coerce my way in, or fight my way in?

Or why don't they just let me do the quest that involves that dungeon only in a different context?

If you are a warrior-type say then the mages agree to let you go on the expedition as extra protection. If you're a rogue-ish type then you are along to help bypass traps and other obstacles.

So you do the quest and afterwards the mages say, "Thanks for the help, but this is a College matter from here onward so you are dismissed."

The artifact quest isn't essential, but I loathe having my quest journal filled to the brim with quests I have no means or no desire to complete. At least let me cancel the quests.

Who has stolen Brofists? OK Found analog one:
:bro:

Gord

Arcane

Yeah, well sadly Todd decided that every player should be able to potentially do everything with every character.
Not the best design move, imho, but probably a concession to their target audience.

I still prefer to limit the shit I do with a certain character to what fits his "class", it keeps the game fresh longer.

The sad thing about Bethesda is that they might start out with a good vision of what their game should be, but end up making too many concessions (to their target audience, technological limitations, etc.) and fail too often due to a certain lack in their talent for executing those visions.
Skyrim is a much better game than Oblivion and I found it fun enough, but it could have been improved a lot in many aspects.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Which really is part of the problem, with Bethesda's "be anything, do anything" design. It makes the character matter less since you can basically do everything with anything.

That is actually better than what was in the game, so I won't argue the point. But what I was getting at was that there ought to be some things in the game that can only be done with certain kinds of characters. Now personally, I'd wish they left a non-MG way to get in - a particular spell, or taking alternate routes w/ traps and the like, so not much different to what you wanted.

I just got the impression that you were complaining not about the lack of options in regards to getting the artifact, but that everything in the game ought to be achievable by the player, regardless of character build. In the context of what's in the lore, it does make sense that only a Mage's Guild member could get in (one of the places you need to go is in a sealed tomb that only the MG can unseal). Although it's not ideal, the concept itself is fine. Sometimes there are things that only certain kinds of characters can do. While you want most situations to have open/multiple approaches, depending on the context, you can't just apply any kind of skill to every kind of problem. World cohesion/consistency and all that.

If that's not what you were talking about, then that's my mistake.

As I said, the bad design for me was that entrance into the Mage's Guild is something any moron can do. So the artifact is less about "something that only powerful Mages can do due to their access to the ruins" and more about "gotta join Mage's Guild to complete shitty quest".

This I agree with.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Has anybody ever played a 100 Luck character in previous Elder Scrolls games?

Was it easy to find good quality equipment with that statistic, or was there only a marginal benefit from having maximum Luck?

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
C&C is very average, combat is BSB 75% of the time, range of creatures + level scaling is BSB, exploration is pretty neat but it gets points taken off cuz of all the BSB. Dragons, the Voice and setting are okey.

5/10 would kill time again

Luzur

Good Sir
Has anybody ever played a 100 Luck character in previous Elder Scrolls games?

Was it easy to find good quality equipment with that statistic, or was there only a marginal benefit from having maximum Luck?
In Morrowind, 100 Luck practically made your character impossible to hit.

I think it only affected loot in Daggerfall.

it affected loot, shop shelves and something else i dont remember.

hit detection?

Luzur

Good Sir
also, i hope some add an option to wipe out the Dark brotherhood, i joined DB just so i could access their lairs and then present all their necks to my two-handed Daedric sword of Balefire +24, but they are unkillable and followed me across the provinces so i had to disable them using console and now i got an eternal, unfinishable quest of saying sorry to the DB.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
also, i hope some add an option to wipe out the Dark brotherhood
The option is already there in the game.

Just go to Gaius Maro, tell him you took out the Brotherhood leader, and he'll give you the password to the Brotherhood Sanctuary, so that you can eliminate them. Gaius Maro gives you a 5000 gold reward in return for your services. All the guards will also congratulate you for killing the Dark Brotherhood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom