Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:lol: That's gotta be a troll (from 4chan or RPGCodex no doubt).

Yeah, it's quite an old copypasta (back from 2001), originally written in russian. It's not clear if original poster was a troll though.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
And for the utmost awful suggestion we could ever get out of the Obsidian-Kickstarter discussion:

First off - sorry if my English isn't the best. But I think it's at least so much as understandable, that you'll understand where I'm coming from and what I want to express with what I'm writing. (mother language is German)

I registered myself here only for the tiny chance of telling Obsidian my personal opinion about this topic and because I think alot of the stuff certain people here suggested so far is big bull****

Seriously a sequel to Planescape?? Another additional game to an odd boring ugly as hell (sheesh, this game has graphics, like stoneage for a Game, that got release in the year 2000)

If Obsidian should use the money from such a kickstarter project, then at all for a new Console Game on PS3 and X360 and not for a ****ty sequel of an ancient PC game that nearly no ass knows compared to other console Games Obsidian made.

Obsidian hasn't made yet really much own games yet. Most games from them were yet orders from other companies, like Square Enix, bioWare or Bethesda Softworks for whom they made Games for them and none of them were basically real classical RPG's mostly likely all only either Hack & Slash's or Action Adventures with a tiny bit of RPG elements inside them.
The only true own Game of Obsidian so far is ALPHA PROTOCOL and if there is anything of which obsidian should make from the kickstarter project's money a sequel for, then I think it would be best for Obsidian to make Alpha Protocol 2

Yes, Alpha Protocol surely wasn't the best seller of a game but it was a new game, a start of a new own Obsidian franchise and total new franchises often have the problem that their starts don't create instantly sales miracles and hit on the market like bombs, especially if the games receive not much of marketing money for trailers, tv spots ect. pp
You also can't expect from complete new franchises, that they sell themself instantly like well known successful game series' like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Super Mario ect. pp but I definetely think Alpha Protocol was by far a good enough game to have it earned to receive a better sequel which optimizes some of the gameplay mechanics from the prequel, adds a few more mechanics and improvements to the gameplay systems and here and there some more typical eye candy via rendered sequences in the style of classical RPG's ala Final Fantasy and Alpha Protocol 2 would go for a really good sequel that would let part 1 stand into the shades. including also some kind of Online Gameplay Mode to Alpha Protocol 2 would just make it perfect...

However, thats so far only my stand point in regard of a possible AP2, when Obsidian should make a sequel game.
I personally rather would love it, if Obsidian would make with the help of that money a complete new game for X360, PS3 and PC adding some kind of possible stallion to their game's list that will work in future as another kind of trademark for Obsidian. A real RPG-Game, thats not just a super boring ugly as hell Game like Planescape with ancient old gameplay a la turnbased Battles with an isometric angle of camera view.
These kind of games are absolutely OUT and surely not something, that will guarantee Obsidian a huge throw of sales to make a big profit.
Obsidian is also just only a company, that wants to make profit and therefore, they have to make games, which have a really high potential to sell very well and that not only in like 1 or 2 countries.. no ...worldwide to earn in for Obsidian as much as possible profit with as less as possible given out money to produce the game. To reach this goal, obsidian has to make a good choice about what games they should consider to make and which possible games would be just only a waste of time and money.
Planescape is absolutely such a game.. a sequel to that game would mostly likely absolutely FLOP and earn in no profit for Obsidian.

A real RPG of AAA-Class with the help of kickstarter would have there a much better chance to sell very well, if the game hits the taste of the masses, has very good graphics and gameplay systems and last but not least a gorgeous story that keeps u playing this game for hours over hours over hours and after like 100-200+ hours your realize that you still haven't seen everything and done everything in that game, what the game has to offer to you.

Best example for such kind of sandbox RPG's are games like Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim and Star Ocean 4: Last Hope as both games offer to the gamer content, that really stands for 1 very important terminus - long term motivation & replayability

No one wants today to pay for games like 60-70 Euro and like for all you Amaricans out there even more in Dollars to get a game, that you play through in like 2-3 days and then the game offers to you even nothing, that will make you replay the game multiple times to give you some kind of long term motivation...
No, when I play a AAA- real RPG game, then I expect a game, that offers mee even afte playing the main story through enough long term motivation and replayability options, that I'll have to play the game for like 100-200 hours, before I have finally seen and done everything in that game, because only when a RPG offers THIS, then the game was absolutely really worth its money!!

I'd love to see from Obsidian a new classical RPG with a really good and long fantasy story.
A game which will have from begin to its end the goal by the developers to be a rival to RPG's like FF, Skyrim, Star Ocean, Infinite Undiscovery, Dragon Age, the newly Kingdoms of Amalur or upcoming Action RPG's like the Witcher 2, which are all RPG's of a type of quality, which are all far beyond all of Obsidians "Wannabe-RPG's"

I especially love classiclal hybrid story RPG's which are a mixture of Medieval Fantasy and Science Fiction. Games like Final Fantasy 7, 8, 10, 12 13/13-2 or especialy my most beloved RPG series - Star Ocean comes there into my mind which is a RPG series, which has so far a little similar system of conversation system, like BioWare and Obsidian experienced it in their games Dragon Age 1+2 as also Alpha Protocol where you have in conversations multiple answer options.
In Star Ocean these special conversation options are called "Private Actions" and this system so far sadly lacks of this conversation feature of having multiple answering options.

For me personally it would be a great improvement to the Star Ocean series, if this gameplay feature could find either into a complete selfmade new game of Obsidian that is set into a medieval sci-fi world ala Star Ocean/ Phantasy Star, or if Obsidian would work together again with Square Enix to make Star Ocean 5 come true!!

Star Ocean 5 as another sequel of the Star Ocean franchise would be definetely a game which has absolutely the potential to be a top seller game, as its a game series with a huge fan base, its an already well known and successful game, otherwise it wouldnt have already 4 parts...
A game franchise, which isnt really good, wouldn't get even a single sequel game at all....
Star Ocean 4 alone hitted in the first few weeks in Japan the market like a bomb and sold there like like few weeks over 350000 copies after release

A poor sequel for a game like Planescape I guess wouldn't even reach these sales after like multiple months!!!

Tri Ace made already last year a Tech Demo, that showed a possible Star Ocean 5 and if its just only a question again of a producer or publisher to jump into the boat, then I think could obsidian do this job surely wioth a little self investitation and together with this kickstarter project here.
Due to the point that Obsidian already worked together with Square Enix and made for them Dungeon Siege 3, why not work this time together with another great RPG Maker, that has also worked together with SE already - Tri Ace ??? SE ist at the moment working on alot of other games and has surely not the time to work on SO5, so why shouldn't Obsidian jump in and make together with Tri ace this great game alot of people are waiting for, since Tri Ace announced this tech demo...
Thats at least what I personally mostly hoped for, once I've had read this article.

For all of you, that don't know the Star Ocean series and want to know about what i'm talking of, here's the last years Tech Demo from Star Ocean that sets the hopes high for a someday maybe announced SO5:

Seriously, this isn't toppable.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
At first I thought it was a troll... But you can never really know what goes on in the mind of a true consoletard

Stinger

Arcane
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13291909370A42269700&page=1

"What does the Western Market Want?"

Oh boy...

I feel like there's a point I didn't touch, seem to have forgotten.

As you may recall, ever since the beginnings of the previous decade, with the advent of the internet making its way into the general public, there was a large amount of people rooting for "retro" gaming (before that term was appropriated by Hipsters and now no one says "I'm a retro gamer" anymore), basically, there was a huge surge in web culture for old school gaming, moreso than ever before. As the years progressed, with more and more video Review shows a la The Angry Video Game Nerd or The Spoony Experiment, this became massively popular (again, even more than ever before), of course Nintendo was capitalizing on this ever since the GameCube started including ports of old games as bonuses, but with games like 3D Dot Game Heroes or the adaptation of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, not counting countless remakes nowadays, the "retro" thing has gathered strenght in the industry. There's a problem.

I have a PlayStation 3. By release standards, it was a fucking behemoth of a console. I don't want to see a game that runs on 2D sprites unless they are incredibly detailed and animated. I don't want to hear music that sounds like someone ran a MIDI through GXSCC, and I certainly don't want this to be an excuse for developers to drop less money on a project just because it's "retro".

Thing is, the western market eats this crap and shits out awards. "Scott pilgrim feels like an arcade hit from the 80s!" and all that crap.

See, I have no problem with a game drawing inspiration from old school development techniques, but I want some fucking innovation into my games.

Technology moves forwards for a reason. Games shouldn't just go and aim for the Nostalgia Goggles and try to emulate something you could run on a portable handheld from 2000. Am I against sprite based 2D games? Hell no, what I'm against is shameless copying of older crap to make a quick buck without giving it much thought.

I believe I speak for everyone when I say, If I wanted to play a direct copy of Super Mario Bros. 3, I'd got play Super Mario Bros. 3, or a ROM hack of it. I don't want to see a million re-releases of the game with zero innovation. Say whatever you want about companies changing old games too much, at least they have the balls to not shit out some carbon copy of a game.

Yes, the new X-COM game is a bit more streamlined than the original. And the fanbase cried "Ruined FOREVER!" because it was different. What do you know? Maybe it can be good. Maybe they'll add more customization features. Maybe they'll make the game feel more alive. The industry will smarten up like the movie business and will begin to throw at us the same old crap and we'll start enjoying it unless we stop this madness and move on with gaming for once and for all.

Every paragraph gives a new reason to rage.

At some point the topic inexplicably changes to Fallout...and this gem appears:

Games mechanics that made sense in a D and D environment, with dice rolls controlling everything, not just your TH Ac O, and which the classic Black Isle/Interplay Dungeons and Dragons games were built on, and not just your PC but your party members relied on, and all the class combinations and alignments they could end up as, when put into a game using SPECIAL stats and automatic weapons, stopped making sense. The setting was intriguing, the games concepts were appealing. Who doesn't want to wander a wasteland surviving stuff that would kill you in seconds if it was for real? I just couldn't get past the next point.

I knew from late adolescence that modern projectile weaponry such as automatic and semi-automatic rifles, light machine guns, sub machine guns and (spit, Browning pistols) had a much longer effective and lethal range than what was being portrayed in the games. Why?

Seemples!

I learned how to do pretty much everything with them apart from being a proficient shot. Live firing, dry firing, weapons drill (which I hate. Having big heavy lumps of metal and wood or metal and plastic with sharp metal bits stuck to them flying by your ears and nose as you change weapons to the other shoulder is not fun. At all.), skill at arms training and so on. I know to my bones how heavy the bastards are. How they affect balance.

Not being able to shoot things at more than a spitting distance away with heavy calibre weaponry in the first two Fallout games didn't just break immersion, it kicked it in the groin, stomped on its head and crushed its throat. I gave up at this point. Even though I knew my character in the game wasn't probably a good shot and the game explained why, I could not reconcile what I knew to be true with what the game was telling me.

I know games mechanics have to sometimes play fast and loose with the laws of ballistics, but seeing them being kicked right out of the window was a conceptual leap I could not make. I tried. Frick's sake, I paid money for them brand new so you can bet that that is true. I am a mean Scot.

Conversely, I have never used a bow or arrow apart from ones me and my papa built when I was a very young wean. I have never held a sword or a shield or cast a magic spell. So when a games mechanic says I do such and such a thing with them because of its existence, I have no frame of reference to say "that does not make sense". I just get on with killing things.

Then I heard about Fallout 3. The things that annoy a lot of you folks that changed the way the game works made it sound interesting, but I listened to the reviews and decided to skip it, literally for years. I think I read NMA before I knew what it was. I was then persuaded to at least give it a try (don't ask me who as I do not remember) and I loved it. Guns made sense. You aimed at someone and you either hit them or missed them due to your skill, or the range you took the shot at, or the weapon type used, not seemingly by hidden dice rolls. You weren't limited by the old system of metered action points. You just got on with slaughtering or getting slaughtered by bastards with rocket launchers or scoped rifles until you ended up with them as well and did damage of your own with them.

And the first person view of the Capitol Wasteland for the first time was, well, I cannot describe how beautiful I felt it was. Regardless of all the destruction, dead animals, smashed buildings, booby trapped prams, skeletons and nasty huge insect buggers that were around it was gorgeous. I spent hours just looking round the place when I was playing the game. I got emotionally attached to the game, for really the first time since I completed Final Fantasy Tactics. That is why when folks slag it off my critical faculties go out the window and I want to rip their hearts out and eat it in front of them while it is still beating XD And I only just noticed that just now. Looking back. Hindsight is a bitch.

Does anyone know what the fuck this person is even saying. I seriously have no idea. There's just a whole bunch of words and retarded purple prose.

Flatlander

Liturgist
http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/pptxx/i_feel_that_most_turn_based_rpgs_fail_on_a_basic/ , or How the Japs Have Killed the Turn Based Genre.

I enjoy some turn based RPGs, because they are basic. Sometimes I just don't want to take the time to learn a complicated attacking system for a game. I like to be able to jump in and play with the classic Fight, Magic, and Item choices. I also grew up playing on the NES & SNES so it's a nostalgia thing.

Listing a few of my turn-based gripes while I wait for my build to compile...
  • Most of them games had a dexterity value that meant shit-all. You hit your enemy 99% of the time, when it wasn't 99.9% of the time. Spells and special skills always hit no matter what. DEX was practically meaningless.
  • Most also had painfully slow combat animations. There were times when it took a full hour to do a floor of dungeon because you spent so much time waiting for your player characters to simply finish swinging their swords.
  • Preparation was simplified to its most basic level. In many cases, rather than having actual backpack management and journey preparation, you are allowed to transport 99 copies of an item and simply down a stack of potions once you believe you're getting close to a boss.
  • As I go through my 16-bit era games, I realize most of them did not really attempt to innovate. The formula was medieval fantasy world, somebody's been kidnapped or a demon is on the rise, your protagonist is a swordsman with blue hair, go kill all the things. It was such that Phantasy Star was considered groundbreaking simply for placing its setting in the future.

BSN are much more cuddlesome, offering so much brain-damaging material. :love:
Tropers are inane in a more boring, "retards gonna tard" way. Wouldn't cuddle.

Stinger

Arcane
The funny thing is Tropers apparently look down on BSN and think they're a bunch of creepy fucks.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yydmv.png

hoopy

Savant
Doing it Right – Playstation: The Official Magazine Handles Transphobic Hate Speech

(Trigger Warning- Transphobic slurs)
Gallaway didn’t like what he saw- unchecked transphobia in a major publication.
Hate speech? In my video game journalism? Just what kind shemale holocaust were these crazed Nazis trying to stir up?

Hardbodied she-male(?).
Ol' Jag-Head and Ninj-Face have no qualms about putting their collective boots into their maybe-lady opponent.
Absolutely disgusting, and if these brave warriors for social justice hadn't stepped in the next issue would have probably agitated readers to take to the streets and go on a shemale mass murder spree. Fortunately the chief editor of the magazine repented and begged for forgiveness from his progressive overlords.

Being accused of discrimination is a hefty charge, and all parties involved might not know how identify and resolve the problematic behavior.
It's almost like they're assuming people are guilty until proven otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom