Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Civ V Expansion Announced: Call Everyone Else Heretics and Fill Their Cities With Spies

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The AI is sophisticated (and nasty) enough to plan a betrayal 15 turns in advance. And you can use your spies to find this out.
And that's why playing with people is way more fun. Also, how will that work in multiplayer? Pops a quiz on the enemy screen, asking him when he is gonna betray me?

circ

Arcane
Oh man. Civ V is still (most likely) one of the buggiest games ever released, crashing 9 times out of 10, and now there's an expansion instead of an obvious patch?

Yeah ok Shitaxis. This is a sophisticated AI? The AI that was a paranoid schizophrenic in the original V and kept fucking backstabbing you when you built a city too close to its lands? Or even when its script made it build one too close to yours. Ohoho. How is this any different?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck the crashes, fix the gameplay and I'm on board. I sincerely doubt they'll be able to though.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I thought they dropped the expansion based model for dlcs? Doesnt matter anyway, I dont know if Ill even bother pirating as civ 5 vanilla was shit.

ChristofferC

Magister
I doubt this expansion will fix Civ V. Also, civfanatics is overloaded. :(

Edit: Omg the Kotaku comments. -.-

oscar

Arcane
Civ IV eventually became pretty solid, but this one seems pretty irredeemable.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Civ 4 sadly lacked zones of control. It was a very important mechanic.

Skyway's right on this one guys, Civ 3 is the best.

attackfighter

Magister
What everybody in this topic wants to say:

Nobody cares about Civ V, where's Alpha Centauri 2, you faggots?
I don't care about civ V anymore, but no. Just no.

YOu don't like SMAC?

If SMAC was remade it would have clean, cartoony 3D graphics, Yang would be changed to some white dude in order to not get banned in China, there would be no altitude, terraforming would be replaced with Civ 4's take on tile improvement (building cottages all day - truly an exciting experience) and the new AI would be slower and dumber than the original 12~ year old AI. Also they'd probably remove all of the negative effects from the social engineering options - wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings after all:p

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Just what they did with Civ V. "It's unfair to penalize players for their choices, all choices should be rewarding, just in different ways" -some asshole game designer.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Civ4 was way worse at launch than Civ5, IMO. They got a new lead designer for the expansion pack so that's a good start.

ChristofferC

Magister
Civ4 was buggy and slow at release. Civ5 is a mess of bad game mechanics. They will have to make massive changes to fix the bad game design.​

attackfighter

Magister
Civ 4 is also full of bad game mechanics. Religion, espionage, tile improvements, single stat units, promotions, etc.

attackfighter

Magister
Promotions added micromanagement to a series that was already overloaded with micromanagement.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Promotions added micromanagement to a series that was already overloaded with micromanagement.

My main issue with promotions was that they added almost nothing to the game. They were simply way too weak to matter usually and also a no brainer choice so no real way to specialize...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
attackfighter, lol what micromanagement? Civ IV has very little micro thanks to production/research queues, worker automation and automated exploration.

Malakal, yeah, the first tier was pretty weak but second already gave you significant advantages like Shock and City Raider. And there was a point for specializing, though I admit that usually it was simple to just spam the fuck out of the AI. They were a bit more important in MP.

attackfighter

Magister
If you want to optimize tile production you have to manage your workers and civilians yourself. As for queues: filling them up is micromanagement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom