Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the perfect RPG?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
But what shone about the writing?

Shiki

Learned
The only bright part about NWN2 is the trial and they botched it by giving it absolutely no significance whatsoever, forcing a useless duel down your throat no matter what you do. The only decent characters are Sand and Shandra, all the others are the most stereotypical fantasy drivel ever. It's like they were taken straight from the D&D player handbook with no effort in shaping them, the only thing that defines them is either their race, class or both at the same time. Stereotypical dwarf brawler, stereotypical tree-hugging druidic elf, stereotypical thief, stereotypical paladin, stereotypical FUCK. All their lines are driven by their stereotype and they never leave the cage that's binding them.

NWN2 is one of the worst RPG I've had to play. What a crappy experience, with absolutely no redeeming features, none. Shitty controls/camera, shitty graphics AND shitty performance combined, shitty setting, shitty characters, no c&c, TON of filler combat oh god the filler combat it's f'king neverending.. Lots of shitty games have at least one single redeeming feature. Or at least something decent. Even oblivion. I can see none for NWN2.

The filler alone makes that game absolutely dreadful and it's something that can kill a rpg for me. Dragon Age Origins for example was a game I could've replayed and enjoyed again, even with its faults.. but I just can't. I can't do the derp roads again. I can't do the circle of magi again. I can't deal with that level scaling that makes battles last so long even when you fight against crappy enemies later. I'd rather do something else with my time than experience that again. And a game I'm not willing to replay at least once even years later, is not the kind of game I'd put in any top 30 whatsoever.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
But what shone about the writing?

I liked some of the PC's lines during the Trial. One of the few times in an RPG where the PC felt like a real, intelligent person without being laconic, having ridiculous moral slanting or using an abstract dialogue option method like paraphrasing.

In fact I liked almost everything about the Trial and it's design, except the end of it because it doesn't fucking matter what happens. Fucking Obsidian, even BioWare didn't go full derp railroading with how it handled it's trial sequences (Landsmeet, KotOR fish planet).

You just couldn't make NWN 2 redeemable without MotB, could you?

:x

First, we must ask ourselves, what is a rpg?

Rum Pirate Game. You play as a pirate and you battle against other pirates over the rum trade. The rum is everything to a pirate. It is his life blood, his currency and a measure of power, so the fact that it's so many things at once means that it's a tricky balance between having the strength to win battles, pay your way and to climb the pirate ranks from scurvy dog to captain.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Fallout/Baldur's Gate

Yes, there were RPGs before them and after them. But the 1997 RPGs hit the sweet spot in the 'fun to hardcorism' ratio.Late 80's and early 90's rpg were more of a real nerd RPGs, they were aimed at the pnp people, those who would sit in their basement with 5 other nerds and do a pnp session.
The late 90's RPGs were aimed not at the pnp crowd but at the gaming crowd in general. They had the core rules, but were not as hardcore and unaccessible as the previous ones, technology has moved on and the thought of 'how an PC rpg should look like' has evolved.
Current 'rpgs' (bio/beth) are for 'everyone' that's why they are such a mess.They are not for the gaming crowd anymore, they are for the phone/console tards.

1996-2001 was the golden era for RPGs.

laclongquan

Arcane
The duel doesnt bother me as much. For one thing, it makes sure that no build got shaft by the trial:
Fighter with no dialog skills? Fight on~
Squishy diplomat with no fighting skill? You can most certainly rely on your NPC in the event your skills fail you, since without them meatshields you could have never reach this stage.
Imagine that there's no duel: fighting builds, the which there are plenty you battle-loving larper you, will sucks so much they cry in forums "it' not fair". The duel is a sop for them.

Generally, the complaint I have against NWN2OC is the lacks in NPC personal quest. They are not fully fleshed out.

MOTB is great in that aspect.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Fallout/Baldur's Gate

Yes, there were RPGs before them and after them. But the 1997 RPGs hit the sweet spot in the 'fun to hardcorism' ratio.Late 80's and early 90's rpg were more of a real nerd RPGs, they were aimed at the pnp people, those who would sit in their basement with 5 other nerds and do a pnp session.
The late 90's RPGs were aimed not at the pnp crowd but at the gaming crowd in general. They had the core rules, but were not as hardcore and unaccessible as the previous ones, technology has moved on and the thought of 'how an PC rpg should look like' has evolved.
Current 'rpgs' (bio/beth) are for 'everyone' that's why they are such a mess.They are not for the gaming crowd anymore, they are for the phone/console tards.

1996-2001 was the golden era for RPGs.

The late 00's RPGs were aimed not at the gaming crowd but at the crowd in general, the platinum era for RPGs, you fucking nerd.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
The late 00's RPGs were aimed not at the gaming crowd but at the crowd in general, the platinum era for RPGs, you fucking nerd.

:hmmm:

Reading problems? That's what I wrote.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
My personal perfect RPG? I don't know... there is no perfect RPG by definition, but if I had to choose one I'd pick Wizardry 7.

It has tons of skills, turn-based combat (although not really tactical, but who cares), a world that feels alive with wandering NPCs and stuff and it emulates a PnP game very well in my opinion.

So yes, this is my "perfect" RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom