Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 Launch Date Trailer

Gregz

Arcane
September 18th in the US and September 21st Internationally

Gregz

Arcane
First one seemed okay, I guess. Never got far into it though.

I felt the same way at first, shelved it, tried it again a few weeks later and fell in love with it.

Great gameplay, writing, voice acting, etc. The only thing I didn't like was the interface (wanted to murder the guy who designed it), but luckily there were workarounds.

The gameplay bored me and most if not all of the guns were all boring old hit scan. It is a game in dire need of many more projectile weapons, or just anything which isn't a simple point and shoot. Team Fortress 2 (soldiers rocket launcher, demomans sticky bombs, pyros compression blast) and even Mass Effect 2s gameplay (black hole gun, arc projector, biotic powers) were more creative and entertaining than boring old point and click. Does the Borderlands DLC do anything to make the weapon variety more diverse and fun?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Great gameplay, writing, voice acting, etc..

:what:

Yeah... $10 purchase for me. So far it just looks like Borderlands with new characters and enemies. I doubt they fixed the boring/pointless skill trees, excessive amounts of undifferentiated loot, and repetitive MMO style questing.

Does the Borderlands DLC do anything to make the weapon variety more diverse and fun?

No.

Gregz

Arcane
The gameplay bored me and most if not all of the guns were all boring old hit scan. It is a game in dire need of many more projectile weapons, or just anything which isn't a simple point and shoot. Team Fortress 2 (soldiers rocket launcher, demomans sticky bombs, pyros compression blast) and even Mass Effect 2s gameplay (black hole gun, arc projector, biotic powers) were more creative and entertaining than boring old point and click. Does the Borderlands DLC do anything to make the weapon variety more diverse and fun?

The DLCs don't change any of the core stuff you're complaining about no. I really enjoyed the weapon variety myself. Also, I like my bullets hitting what I aim at.

Of course there are 'lob' projectiles like the Leviathan RPG, and AOE round effects like shock, fire, explosive, corrosive rounds etc.

@ Metro

Why the look? Borderlands is laugh out loud hilarious. Maybe you thought I was referring to deep RPG story arcs. Not so much obviously, the game doesn't take itself seriously, which is part of its charm.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No, I wasn't expecting deep RPG story arcs but what there was was super generic and... I never found myself laughing out loud... or even chuckling for that matter. I think the premise/background universe was okay but that's about it.

Multi-headed Cow

Shamefully enough I loved the shit out of Borderlands 1. I'd be inclined to agree with Metro about the writing and voice acting and even partially the gameplay. But for some odd reason I played the bajesus out of it. Something about the feel of the combat and the loot whoring and dicking with randomly generated guns really grabbed me. I put probably pushing 100 hours into it (Steam says 76, but I did almost one full playthrough on a pirated copy before I bought it) before my mania ended.

So yeah. Looking forward to it. Hoping they improve on the original since that had a lot wrong with it despite me playing like crazy.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
First one is mediocre, though it pushed the right buttons with me. I only hope the sequel will improve the formula, because there were some genuinely good ideas in the first game but some issues got in the way.

Edit: Dear Lord, Steam tells me I spent 122 hours with it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I thought the combat was fine it's just that the characters all played pretty much the same since they only had one skill each. Yes, some did more damage with certain guns but all of them could use whatever gun effectively. And, as someone else mentioned, all the gun play pretty much felt the same. There was so much loot that upgrades came nearly every fifteen minutes or so and I never really felt excited since I knew something better would come along in another fifteen minutes.

The sequel could use more challenging bosses that are more engaging then simply pewpewpew and characters that had abilities which compliment each other making co-op more interesting.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you played Borderlands solo you were playing it wrong. As a single player game it was rather boring due the mmo type of quests and world design but as a co-op game those faults were easily overlooked. I plan to buy but only If I manage to convince one or more of my friends to buy it also.

Or they just hire better writers? Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue was just as bad as Borderlands, but Ron Gilberts sense of humor and the voice of Deathspank make it worth my while

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you played Borderlands solo you were playing it wrong. As a single player game it was rather boring due the mmo type of quests and world design but as a co-op game those faults were easily overlooked. I plan to buy but only If I manage to convince one or more of my friends to buy it also.

I played both. Co-op wasn't that amazing, either. And, yes, everything is better with co-op. It's also the biggest cop out argument I've ever seen in defending shoddy game design.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I played both. Co-op wasn't that amazing, either. And, yes, everything is better with co-op. It's also the biggest cop out argument I've ever seen in defending shoddy game design.

I would disagree, I found co-op to be rather fun since each class had team related skill and it was fun sharing the hordes of guns. The world is designed for a multiplayer so when playing with friends it doesnt feel as empty like when playing solo. I agree that there is many ways they can make the second part a better game both in world design, character skills and combat encounters but i still believe that Borderlands 1 is a solid multiplayer game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I played DAYS of Borderlands 1 on split-screen with my brother, fun as hell, the idea of a diablo-like lootfest FPS is great, but there were some major issues, like the interface, weapons scalling and how boring new game+ was. Also lame final boss.

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MORDECAI?!?!
Same question. He is right at the start of the trailer...not sure if the old characters will be playable, unlockable or future DLC....

Hellraiser

Arcane
I played DAYS of Borderlands 1 on split-screen with my brother, fun as hell, the idea of a diablo-like lootfest FPS is great, but there were some major issues, like the interface, weapons scalling and how boring new game+ was. Also lame final boss.

The bosses and combat overall could have used more work. The game is still good for what it is - a mindless shooter where you keep getting more awesome guns but the gunplay gets stale after a while. It could use more enemy variety and more challenging enemies.

Yeesh

Magister
I played the first one a lot, and my biggest complaint was that your best bet for obtaining gear upgrades was shopping from vending machine to vending machine.

Also Mordecai's voice actor was so, so miscast. Here's this skeezy little bearded stealthy weasel fucker who kills enemies from a klick away and let's his bird fight for him, and they gave him the voice of some tough guy with at least fifty more pounds of muscle.

Gee I'd thought the sequel was coming out sooner than that. Guess they won't get a chance to capitalize on D3's delays... or will they?

Steve

Augur
Borderlands is probably the most boring piece of shit that I have ever played, sad attempts at trying to be funny and MMO style everything didn't help either.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I would disagree, I found co-op to be rather fun since each class had team related skill and it was fun sharing the hordes of guns. The world is designed for a multiplayer so when playing with friends it doesnt feel as empty like when playing solo. I agree that there is many ways they can make the second part a better game both in world design, character skills and combat encounters but i still believe that Borderlands 1 is a solid multiplayer game.

The team related skills were extremely shallow and ultimately superfluous given the cover shooter nature of the game -- if you were injured you just had to duck behind cover for your shields and health to regen (assuming you had a shield with health regen which were the only worthwhile ones). The buffs/debuffs were overkill. Four people walking around an empty world is still an empty world. Hell, the only npcs that moved were the claptraps.

It's not terrible, but I'm certainly not going to buy this for the sure to be $50+ release price.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The first one didn't interest me with its loads-and-loads of trash loot/treadmilling and Divinity 2:Ego Draconis-style damage scaling where being several levels above something would make you invincible and enemies several levels above you would be nigh-invincible. I hope they address those issues (going by the trailer the first issue is still there) or I won't be interested in this one either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom