Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence February Update

Johannes

Arcane
About the UI, I assume you've added hotkeys for everything, which IIRC was missing in the combat demo?

curry

Arcane
I'll curb my enthusiasm until I can get curry's opinion but looking forward to it and the textures look much better than ever, more atmospheric.

I'll probably finish ME3 first, even if it's a disappointment, because I don't like playing different games at the same time. So it's gonna take a while until I'll try the demo.

I would also like to point out that just because they release a demo, it doesn't mean they are ever going to finish the actual game. It still could (and probably will) end up being vapourware.

Lumpy

Arcane
I'll curb my enthusiasm until I can get curry's opinion but looking forward to it and the textures look much better than ever, more atmospheric.

I'll probably finish ME3 first, even if it's a disappointment, because I don't like playing different games at the same time. So it's gonna take a while until I'll try the demo.

I would also like to point out that just because they release a demo, it doesn't mean they are ever going to finish the actual game. It still could (and probably will) end up being vapourware.
If anything it makes it even more likely that they won't.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Why all these comments about the UI?

The UI looks so nice that only now I notice, by comparison how rough the one in the combat demo is - and the progress this game made.

The game is... well... it looks SO GOOD. It's aesthetically pleasing. And with the combat/quest depth, the graphics CAN be a nice addition.
I can only ask myself: is that how turnbased iso PC exclusive RPGs would all look today if they hadn't died at the turn of the century?
I cry. This is beautiful. I know this game will surely have rough edges, but, fuck, I'll acknowledge them only once I finish the demo with
at least 5 radically different builds.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't suppose you can make the source available? (without the assets).

I'm thinking of the inevitable bugs and tweaks - i don't think we need another prelude to darkness fiasco; good game, buggy as fuck.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, it definitely looks better than NWN1. I think that's more than good enough for me.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I agree, the graphics whore in me is just astonished how they managed to make this game look that good.

Stinger

Arcane
First town with 2 satellite locations, over 30 quests. More than enough to form an opinion and have some fun wit the demo.

That sounds great! If you don't mind me asking, are all those quests given in a single build or will there be some that are locked out based on your build/background/choices?

Basically I'm asking, will we be able to see some of the branching in action in the demo?

Captain Shrek

I am glad the UI has been altered. Just as an observation, I loved the way the spellcasting UI was reshaped in NWN2 as a separate block. This allowed handling spells beautifully. I think there is something to be said about utility there. What I would love to see is how the UI looks after being expanded.

Captain Shrek

No. It was necessary before to generate some interest and tell people what we're doing and hoping to accomplish.

This is definitely NOT a good idea. We have some game journalists frequenting this site. THEY HAVE TO HELP. Publicity is of essence whether you like it or not. Hype is necessary. I would definitely declare a state of urgency in enforcing this. I want this game to be successful commercially (and YOU DO TOO OF COURSE). How is that going to happen without marketing it?????

At this stage we'll let the demo speak for itself. I mean, why talk about it when you can show it and let people play it?

Arrgh. I hope this is NOT serious and you are just talking casually.

Captain Shrek

Fuck.

Ok. This is what I can do. I am going to use /v/ to publicize this game a bit. /v/ has a big enough audience of the kind that will play the demo. Most of them are anti-popamole indoctrination victims so they might actually like it.

FUDU

Arcane
Mass publicity for the demo; bad idea. Rough edges, technical problems, bugs, people get frustrated and won't even consider buying the game.

Mass publicity for full release of the game, as polished as they can get it after the feed back from the demo, good idea.

Besides, Vince works in marketing, he knows how to handle it.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
No. It was necessary before to generate some interest and tell people what we're doing and hoping to accomplish.

This is definitely NOT a good idea. We have some game journalists frequenting this site. THEY HAVE TO HELP. Publicity is of essence whether you like it or not. Hype is necessary. I would definitely declare a state of urgency in enforcing this. I want this game to be successful commercially (and YOU DO TOO OF COURSE). How is that going to happen without marketing it?????

At this stage we'll let the demo speak for itself. I mean, why talk about it when you can show it and let people play it?

Arrgh. I hope this is NOT serious and you are just talking casually.

VD has always pulled a "no bullshit" marketing approach, if you can call it marketing at all, but the intention is that content over form will be enough to sell those who are potentially interested. Those who require hype to enjoy the product will ultimately be dissapointed and will perhaps create bad press for the game - of which there is already plenty when it's advertised on more mainstream sites. And VD has pulled a lot of strings to give the game publicity, it's just that it's been a while by now. I'm sure he'll be able to pull those strings again when the time is needed. Isn't he working in marketing in the first place? The guy knows what he's doing, every word is calculated, even his honesty is dishonest, so don't worry about it

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Ok. This is what I can do. I am going to use /v/ to publicize this game a bit. /v/ has a big enough audience of the kind that will play the demo. Most of them are anti-popamole indoctrination victims so they might actually like it.
It's okay, leave the marketing to the vice president of marketing in the real world. You just focus on your absurd post rate here and on 4chan.

^Someone is upset about /v/. Show me on this doll where you were trolled hard.

How far does the demo cover? First town hub?
First town with 2 satellite locations, over 30 quests. More than enough to form an opinion and have some fun wit the demo.

That's a lot of quests for a small town, a raider camp and a mine. Intriguing.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sure codexers will do their bit when the demo is released and spread the word (actually they wont because AoD will be terrible and we all will have to go back to DA2).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom