Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Civilian activity showed up as Hidden Movement in XCOM Terror from the Deep. I'm 70% sure it happened in XCOM UFO Defense too. You couldn't reaction fire civilians, but their footsteps and door slamming was indistinguishable from the aliens's.

kyrub

Augur
Yes, you're right. But their movement occurs always after the aliens have moved. It's hard to mix a civilian with an alien on motion scanner in X-COM, I never encountered that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This looks pretty sweet to me. Of course it is a decline from the original, but hell, still looks impressive.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Uh... yeah, there is this great feature in the original... and then we try to figure out how to simplify it.

Yeah. Difficult tactical situations indeed.

Glam cam will sure be a lot of fun after a few hours.

Also, do note the tiny dropship that barely fits in four soldiers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The nice thing here is that it looks like you might get a visual indication of when you're moving too far to preserve the ability to shoot or do something else in the same turn. Sort of like the differently-colored movement trails in a Total War campaign map, which tell you that you aren't going to be able to complete a movement in one turn.

In the original game, you had to move in short steps, because if you clicked a bit too far, you might find that you couldn't follow your plan of firing afterwards. Although the fact that your character automatically stopped when spotting a new alien helped somewhat.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
cinematic approach because it was impossible before due to technical camera limitations

Hahahahaha

emotional engagement with the soldiers

Hahahahaha

This strikes all the 'right' tunes, alright! :thumbsup:

Eyeball

Arcane
-85% atmosphere, +300% AWSUMBADAZZOMGCAMSHOTCUMSHOT!

Meh. "Style" is clearly dead. Still, it looks like it might provide some braindead next-gen strategy fun (meaning "dumbed down as motherfuck"), so I guess I'll deign to yarr it.

Base building actually looks like a fairly neat gimmick. Of course, I wouldn't ever spend any time looking at it because a fucking grid would do just as well, but it's a nice idea IMO.

Gord

Arcane
There's a short preview of an "early version" on german site Golem.de.

They sadly don't explain why sectoids are now the offspring of a chimp that got raped by a Grey.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
WTF why are they changing things. I was hoping this would just be an HD remake, because my chink eyes are too squinty to play the regular pixellated version.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Art direction and especially animations looks pretty damn bad. Fuck, why every other game have to look comic booky. :decline:

Gondolin

Arcane
cinematic approach because it was impossible before due to technical camera limitations

Hahahahaha

emotional engagement with the soldiers

Hahahahaha

This strikes all the 'right' tunes, alright! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I stopped watching when that art guy started talking about leveraging 3D and shit. It seems that I went through the '90s completely unaware of the cinematic potential of games. Remember when you played XCom and felt that something was missing? That was your brain feeling sad because you could not rotate the camera to watch the headshot from the target's point of view.

hiver

To the game, something of a bit of relative cool factor i guess.
To strategy or tactics nothing. I dont see what it takes away from this though.

btw could someone shortly explain whats the difference between original "time units" and normal action points - and the new system in this new game?
-belay that-

Eyeball

Arcane
At least it happens fast, unlike fturd 3 fucking slow mo.
Wait until you see how long it'll take for each map to load and for the AI to take its turn. If the recent Civ games are anything to go by, the engine will be a poorly optimised piece of crap and you can finish whole battles in Enemy Unknown in the time of one kill cutscene in Firaxis' soon-to-come abortion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom