Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TFTD extender

kyrub

Augur
I have cooked a conversion for Terror from the Deep game, from the famous UFO_extender by Seb76.

TFTD extender
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/TFTD-extender-t9560.html

The extender automatically fixes the majority of bugs present in the X-COM games, like proximity mines bugs, vertical shooting bug, disjoint base etc. It implements Range Based Accuracy in the game. On top of that it adds a few TFTD specific features:

- Hallucinoids can use their ranged attack correctly
- Bio-drones are able to hit with melee
- underwater weapons cannot reaction fire on land
- a couple of annoying features, popping messages, ugly sound on land etc. were removed
- the underwater terrain is used randomly for full combat variety
- after 60 turns, you can automatically "spot the last hidden alien"
- you may set all liner ship mission as 1-stage only and reduce their frequency
- you may double the speed of new alien races appearance throughout the game
- you may sidestep "the live Deep-one research trap"

TFTD extender is in alpha stage, so it will be probably somewhat unstable or not working, so beware (and report any problems).

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Kyrub how can I be as awesome as you?

:lol:

Fucking good job Kyrub.

Tasothfist !

x-com-terror-from-4e26685669093.jpg

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I'm afraid just thinking about these:
-Range Based Accuracy
-Hallucinoids can use their ranged attack correctly
-Bio-drones are able to hit with melee
- you may set all liner ship mission as 1-stage only and reduce their frequency
- you may double the speed of new alien races appearance throughout the game

Are you, by chance, looking into the melee AI routines? It's kind of weird to watch Calcinites and Tentaculats second guess themselves after moving 40 feet towards you.

kyrub

Augur
Are you, by chance, looking into the melee AI routines? It's kind of weird to watch Calcinites and Tentaculats second guess themselves after moving 40 feet towards you.
Hmm, decisive Tentaculats... Be careful what you wish for, I'd say.
- Yes, I intend to externalize the simple AI changes in the extender. It's not even hard work, I think.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kyrub you need a dedicated site for your awesome fixes. Like oldgamesrebornanew.com

Keep up the good work.

kyrub

Augur
Errm, thanks guys. But this is really undeserved, since my contribution was basically rewriting some addresses in Seb76' source for Ufo extender. And adding a few entries, recompiling...

I am pretty surprised there are people who still like/play TFTD. I thought I was pretty much alone in having a secret inclination towards the sinister world, so different from the polished farms of Enemy Unknown. Illogical, frustrating, buggy, you name it.

Anyway, I have a few initial reports. Improved starting base, not working. Corrupted land sound, crashes the game. Avoid those until repair. And if you have some other suggestions (not like the hoverdog's one), I am prepared to listen.

kyrub

Augur
Try setting:

- MORE SMOKE to 0
- CORRUPT SOUND etc. to 0

in the ini file, it is reported to crash the game.

- Sorry, my bad. It's really hard to force another guy's program to work with my own changes / style.

I have got several crash reports already. I'll have tomorrow night for fixing it after some crazy merry-go-round in work.
Could you please post your pre-crash save with the ini file, in case More smoke fix does not work?
Thanks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's so cool of you to even bother with this, dude. TFTD is often treated as the ugly step-daughter but its heart is in the right place and its fans just love the gloomy atmosphere and the, frankly, brutal difficulty spike.

I'll take TFTD over UFO any fucking day.

Well done kyrub!

EDIT: You don't have the modifications I made to add extra options to Range Based Accuracy. The ones that let you edit the rate of dropoff for each shot type as well as letting you nerf Aimed Shot-type (no more 100% accurate rocket Torpedo launcher snipers by the 2nd mission!). I can try and hunt down the source for the changes I made if you are interested.

1eyedking

Erudite
Try setting:

- MORE SMOKE to 0
- CORRUPT SOUND etc. to 0

in the ini file, it is reported to crash the game.

- Sorry, my bad. It's really hard to force another guy's program to work with my own changes / style.

I have got several crash reports already. I'll have tomorrow night for fixing it after some crazy merry-go-round in work.
Could you please post your pre-crash save with the ini file, in case More smoke fix does not work?
Thanks.
Still crashes.

Here's the save:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/z7gl2u

Heresiarch

Prophet
:bravo:

I love TFTD despite how people saying bad things about it. UFO was nice, but after playing TFTD, I really love its gloomy, creepy atmosphere and more serious art design. Now looking back I find it a little hard to stomach UFO's cartoonish and sometimes even silly settings.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Errr, how do you actually run this? I've dl-ed the X-Com collector's edition (the one which TFTD is over 60mb big), unzipped to the directory with Terror From the Deep.exe in it, but the loader gives me Patch overlap error (0x00467382 patched twice). I have another version (I think it's the floppy disk version) but it's of no use too.

Tycho525

Educated
For everyone that has been looking for an update to this. I was helping Kyrub convert it but his job became very demanding and now it looks like I am the main person doing it. All the previously mentioned crashes have been resolved since version 1.01.

The current version is 1.03 and you can find it here: TFTD Extender 1.x

Changes in 1.03:
  • Underwater weapons will not fire on land due to reaction fire or units going beserk.
  • Technical research impasses have been removed: Sub construction and MC reader can now be researched as soon as they are found.
  • More fixes for some video issues: scale mouse, screen ratio, etc.
  • Hallucinoid ranged stun attack fixed.
  • Single-stage ship missions should now apply ONLY to ships.
  • P.W.T. launcher production requirements now correct in database.
  • Auto sell feature fixed and the descriptors on the manufacture main screen fixed.
  • Coelacanth/Gauss ammo issues fixed. Its prerequisites are now similar to tank/laser in EU.
  • Three levels of changes available for the research path. Level 1 is now equal to the previous "Live Deep One Research unlock": removes the need to research a live Deep One for Ion Armor. Level 2 allows the vibroblade to be researched when found. Level 3 changes the prerequisites for Aqua Plastic and Ion armor. Aqua plastics can be researched when found. Each level stacks upon or replaces the previous set of changes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom