Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview DW Bradley keeps hyping Dungeon Lords CE

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Lords; DW Bradley; Heuristic Park Inc.

<a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com>GameBanshee</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/dungeonlordsce.php>interview</a> with <b>DW Bradley</b>, the famous creator of infamous <a href=http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com/>Dungeon Lords</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>The announcement of a Dungeon Lords Collector's Edition caught a lot of fans by surprise. Is this something you've wanted to do since the game's original release?</b>
<br>
<br>
Yes, the Collector's Edition represents my original design and intentions for the game...</blockquote>Same old bullshit...
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What exactly are "character customizations"? What options are available during character creation that were not available in the original version?</b>
<br>
<br>
The Human, Elf, and Dwarf races now have options for choosing skin color, hair style, and hair color, the Demigoth Races, Wylvan, Urgoth, Zaur, and Thrall can choose fur color, and any character can choose to be either left-handed or right-handed. </blockquote>The depth is astonishing.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Do you have any plans for Dungeon Lords beyond the Collector's Edition? Any chance we might see an expansion pack or even a sequel?</b>
<br>
<br>
I have the storyline for the next adventure already planned!</blockquote>The storyline?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Mike</b>
<br>

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
D.W. Bradley said:
Obviously it would be ideal for existing owners to be able to upgrade in some fashion though.
Yeah, but then again, it would be unfair to show bias towards those people who bought the game in the first place. True fans will appreciate the irony of having to pay another 40 bucks to fix their game.

Human Shield

Augur
D.W. Bradley said:
Obviously it would be ideal for existing owners to be able to upgrade in some fashion though.

Like how Space Empires has patches to upgrade not only to Gold but then to Deluxe? But of course left-handed weapons is far too complex to patch in.

LlamaGod

Cipher
His Wizardrys sucked, especially 6

I think its funny how fools were tricked into thinking Bradley is some RPG god or something, despite only making 2 crappy wizardrys, the awful wizards and warriors and then this.

O WIAT, he is the CREATOR of Wizardry and Might and Magic (and yes, I have a magazine saying this). riet

Ellester

Liturgist
The sad thing is the game must have sold pretty well if he’s talking about an expansion. I couldn’t imagine this game getting an expansion, but then again I’m shocked they are releasing a collector’s edition.

Rendelius

Liturgist
They call it Collector's Edition because it will collect dust on the shelves.

LlamaGod

Cipher
no, 6 was retarded. There was a bunch of classes and races that didnt do much different from each other and the game was never very clear on things, such as why the dogman is better than the catman or whatever.

And then on top of that, you have to have a very specific party design to finish the game. I prefer just making whatever and playing, not filling in what the developer intended for you to do.

bryce777

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
no, 6 was retarded. There was a bunch of classes and races that didnt do much different from each other and the game was never very clear on things, such as why the dogman is better than the catman or whatever.

And then on top of that, you have to have a very specific party design to finish the game. I prefer just making whatever and playing, not filling in what the developer intended for you to do.

All of this is patently untrue.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Wizardry 6 and 7 were both good (though I admit I haven't played 6 to much depth)

And Wizards and Warriors is one of the top SGLF games.
It's a shit game that ends up quite enjoyable if you're in the right frame of mind. It pisses all over all that Might and Magic crap. Honest.

bryce777

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Wizardry 6 and 7 were both good (though I admit I haven't played 6 to much depth)

It's a shit game that ends up quite enjoyable if you're in the right frame of mind. It pisses all over all that Might and Magic crap. Honest.

It definitely slaughters any might and magic out there. I don't know why people piss on wizards and warriors because it was fantastic once patched.

My only complaint is the fucker won't run on 2000.

I think its problem was it sort of fell in the middle of things - too complicated to make a party and such for the braindead crowd, and too simple of a story and such for the rest.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Shagnak said:

Unfortunately, in regard to Might & Magic that's not hard to do. MM 6 & 7 were practically Doom clones when you turned on real time combat and flounced around the world firing your crossbows.

I hate to admit it, but my curiosity it piqued about DL. I long for a good single player RPG that I haven't played before (which rules out playing Fallout, PS:T et al). I understand though, DL is still likely a piece of shit. Maybe when it hits $19.99.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I enjoyed Might and Magic 6 a bit, but none of these games have shit on Ultima

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Ultima 6/7 of course are better than any games mentioned in this thread(or any game ever if you really think about it), but i thought Wiz 6/7 were pretty top notch as well. Sir Tech breaking up was one of those rare times i was actively upset about a developer closing shop. Almost brings a tear to my eye that they'll never be a real sequel to Jagged Alliance or Wizardry :(

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
You can't really compare Might&Magic and Wizardry to Ultima. Even though they're usually lumped together as the Big Three of early RPGing, they're completely different. Ultima is focused more on interaction with the world, along with plot and actual roleplaying. Wizardries and the Might and Magics are glorified dungeon crawlers. Now, not to say they're bad games (MM6 and Wizardry 8 are top-notch shit, mang) but they are in a totally different league.

Damn, talking about all these games is getting me all nostalgic-like.I think a MM6/Wizardry 8 replay marathon is in order.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Naked_Lunch said:
You can't really compare Might&Magic and Wizardry to Ultima. Even though they're usually lumped together as the Big Three of early RPGing, they're completely different. Ultima is focused more on interaction with the world, along with plot and actual roleplaying. Wizardries and the Might and Magics are glorified dungeon crawlers. Now, not to say they're bad games (MM6 and Wizardry 8 are top-notch shit, mang) but they are in a totally different league.

Damn, talking about all these games is getting me all nostalgic-like.I think a MM6/Wizardry 8 replay marathon is in order.

I agree with Naked_Lunch completely.
I am going to search for www.dungeoncrawlercodex.com.

bryce777

Erudite
Well, the might and magics started off a lot like the old ultimas, but they never really progressed anywhere, whereas the ultimas because pretty amazing int heir world interaction and exploration.

The stories of the later ultimas are great and of course the production values were second to none for the time, but as far as hardcore fighting and looting and puzzle solving goes, nothing beats wizardry 6. It also has a fantastic story I feel is on par with ultima 6 and 7, but it is told in a much different way and isn't as dialog heavy. It is also very clever and had a lot of interesting surprises - for what it was it couldn't possibly be better, though the graphics and such are dated for today of course. Wiz 7 started to get a little weird but was still very cool, but I really disliked wiz 8 but I think now it is probably because I was powergaming too much so that I was having to face level 20 crabs with really crap weapons and it was just tedious as fucking hell. Yet another reason I hate monsters that level up with the party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom