Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Codexian Wasteland 2 Location + Statue Fund-Raising Drive

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Is the Codex going for a location now too? Do we really want a game where there are 20 statues in the game dedicated to 20 websites/people irl? What about 20-30 locations dedicated to websites/people? Sure it doesn't sound bad when you only think it's 1 statue and 1 location, but there are 20-30 other websites going for the same stuff. This sounds pretty shitty for a game to me. Am I the only one that thinks so?

No, you aren't the only one. Never seen the Codex so riled up for something so banal.

Grimlorn

Arcane
This sounds pretty shitty for a game to me.

Really? Why?
Because he's going to have to design locations around the statues and bars or other locations in the game. He's effectively limiting his ability to design. I don't know maybe he'll put everything in one area for a super immersion breaking area, but it just sounds terrible to me if every location I go to I'm reminded of something irl that paid money to get into the game.

Stabwound

Arcane
I whined about the "get yourself in the game" thing too. I hope it's just very discrete and not really noticeable to people other than the person they're shouting out. I mean I'd rather see "you see a troll statue blah blah" or "John Smith's abandoned apartment" and not "WOW COOL STATUE THANKS, RPGCODEX SLOBBER SLOBBER." or "You see Notch, creator of Minecraft! Check out his game today!"

When he made those statue promises, he had no idea the project would be this successful, so I guess he'll come up with some other way. I don't think anyone would complain if they got included in the game as "The sign reads: Av. John Smith" rather than "John Smith - donator, thx bro"

Amazon payments requires a major credit card in order to donate, and my HUEHUEHUEHEUE card suits my needs fine for now. Any way for me to donate without having to ask for my dad's VISA / Mastercard? :?

hiver

Dont forget to put an * next to my nickname on the list.

As for number of shrines and statues and other stuff like it. I think its reasonable to assume they gave those amounts of "places" calculating on possibility that all those pledges will get taken.
Instead of "lets get people in and then we will think of something". I mean, those are guys with some serious experience in the field.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I suspect I'm in the minority here, but I believe the more batshit the better. After all, we don't actually know what a post apocalypse would be like. So, I'm willing to sacrifice some imaginary immersion bs for quality mechanics, and sophomoric laughs. I mean come on, we'd have to be pretty fucking arrogant to assume what this kind of setting would be like in the first place. Fuck that, I don't care how many Easter eggs there are as long as the game is fun, challenging, devoid of any ethical standard.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Because he's going to have to design locations around the statues and bars or other locations in the game. He's effectively limiting his ability to design. I don't know maybe he'll put everything in one area for a super immersion breaking area, but it just sounds terrible to me if every location I go to I'm reminded of something irl that paid money to get into the game.
We've been through this shit often enough.
If you don't trust inXile enough to include the stuff in a fitting manner why would you trust them enough to give them money for an unfinished product in the first place?

We have a suggestion thread: Simply suggest the way you want stuff to be implemented.

And the whole 20 statues thing might be as simple as some easter egg location you can only visit after you've finished the game and equipped the ring... filled with statues.
Or a graveyard... filled with statues.
Or a park filled... with statues.

Nearly every video-game cemetary I've encountered had in-jokes in it. Hasn't bothered me so far. Why is this such an issue with so many people?
"Ooh, my immersion is so broken. That never happened in the FPSs I usually play:rpgcodex:" :roll:

Even if every in-game location has it's own statue it can be done perfectly discrete and fitting.

skallagrim

Lurker since the beginning of time
This is awful. All those years of happy lurking are now over just because of a silly Codex-shrine. Brian Fargo, what have thy done? How can you live with the knowledge that you have lured innocent humans to a forum so vile that it is just one small step away from 4chan?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Should probably send DU a PM so it's easier to keep track of everyone opting out.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I've noted everyone who's said we can keep their copy in the thread to date. I've updated the tally on the front page.

I won't be able to go through and update the donor list details until tomorrow though. Just $700 to go!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I won't need one either. I have a digital and boxed copy coming from giving directly to Kickstarter.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Damnit! Read wrong, i thought DU said he closed it just today...and now its only 700 bucks until it closest but damnit...

I ALREADY PAID OF MY STUDENT LOAN FOR THIS QUARTER!

I'M NOT MADE OF JEW GOLD!

Grimlorn

Arcane
We've been through this shit often enough.
If you don't trust inXile enough to include the stuff in a fitting manner why would you trust them enough to give them money for an unfinished product in the first place?

We have a suggestion thread: Simply suggest the way you want stuff to be implemented.

And the whole 20 statues thing might be as simple as some easter egg location you can only visit after you've finished the game and equipped the ring... filled with statues.
Or a graveyard... filled with statues.
Or a park filled... with statues.

Nearly every video-game cemetary I've encountered had in-jokes in it. Hasn't bothered me so far. Why is this such an issue with so many people?
"Ooh, my immersion is so broken. That never happened in the FPSs I usually play:rpgcodex:" :roll:

Even if every in-game location has it's own statue it can be done perfectly discrete and fitting.
I want Wasteland 2 to be a good game. You're more optimistic about it than I am. It's a slippery slope for shit like this. It will only get worse in future kickstarters with people paying for more and more dumb shit that will ruin the games.

MCA
It's not like everyone will follow suit with high tier privileges. I think Fargo is only doing that kind of thing because he's a bro and in the end, he'll do it in a non-invasive way.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I will donate $1 just to get a $15 copy then :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom