Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torque 2D for TBS RPG engine

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Any Codexers with experiences on Torque 2D?

I know AoD is built on T3D (or whatever the old edition is called) it, though not sure how much it has in common with T2D.

Basically I am looking to build a 2.5D RPG with real-time map movement with turn-based combat toggle.
- Separate "travel mode" for traversing between locations
- Dialogue trees, branching conversations
- No fancy graphical requirements, though simple lighting/particle effects would be nice
- Basic AI scripting available would be a nice bonus

Has anyone tried something similar with it? The closest example I could find (from complete products) was Styrateg.

DakaSha

Arcane
Any decent/known 2D engine is going to give you 95% freedom to do as you want in a logical sense.
Frozen synapse was done in torque2D and meets the graphical requirements and the AI requirements although I dont know what you mean with basic AI scripting

Nothing but a dedicated engine is going to handle something like separate travel modes.. thats your job

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I'm not quite sure what you are asking for Haba. Do you ask for the things you mentioned to be included in a "what you see is what you get" format where you "click a game together"? Then T2D is not what you are looking for.
If, on the other hand, you are willing to put some coding work into it, everything you mentioned can be achieved with T2D.

Coding a travel mode (I suspect you mean a 2d image of a map where you click on a specific point and the game then plays a little walking animation to it, loads a new map and places the player on it) is no problem to implement.

There is no dialogue (tree) editor, but again you can implement dialogue (trees) by hand and script templates that make the work easier.

There's a nice particle editor included and lighting effects can be implemented through some coding, a couple of different people have put tutorials/scripts up on the message boards for free use.

For AI related things there's already a ton of good solutions, for example a* for pathfinding can be very easily implemented.

But once again I have to warn you: T2D does not produce a working game without major work input from you. On the other hand, because T2D has been around for quite a while now, many different things have already been achieved by other hobby devs and there's a ton of good tutorials and scripts out there that can be used and learned from for free.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yep, the main point was if there were any barriers to achieving any of those. A lot of Torque users seem to have very little love for it, after all.

DakaSha

Arcane
I have never used it but judging by peoples reactions (as you state) I would stay away form it.

but like i said popular commercial games have been finished with it

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Looks like T2D won't be the chosen engine to bear Haba's brainchild then.
If everything else fails, you could always Mod Jagged Alliance :lol:

But let's ask the other way around first: Is there an engine that you would recommend for Haba's ambitious project, DakaSha?

chewie

Educated
How about FOonline engine?

Everything already in place, you just have to do some scripting & mapping.

It's windows only, but should cover all the needed features.

DakaSha

Arcane
Looks like T2D won't be the chosen engine to bear Haba's brainchild then.
If everything else fails, you could always Mod Jagged Alliance :lol:

But let's ask the other way around first: Is there an engine that you would recommend for Haba's ambitious project, DakaSha?

Dunno depends on what he wants exactly and his personal preference. Even gamemaker can be fine.
I cant speak for T2D. Like I said im going by what ive heard

Engines Ive used and was happy with (they all have limitations):

Unity3D. Amazing for 3d. Prob not what he wants to do (also not free) As if i had to mention it.

Gamemaker. It is a fine program and there is nothing wrong with using it if it can do what you want (and you like GML.. I dont personally)

FlatRedBall. Prob the best engine on the list for 2.5D stuff. Prob the best engine period (if you dont care about 3D). However its cross platform support is still lacking

Flash. Contrary to what most people seem to think the flash language is free to use and you dont need Flash developer (the 700$ program). The flash API is AMAZING for indie game development.
Of course it doesnt have any cross platform compatibility but then you enter HaXe/NME which allows you to compile to anything.

I currently use NME. I'd probably use flatRedBall for serious PC development under different circumstances.

Keep in mind i dont speak or have any interest in C++ so i know nothing about all the c++ engines

Flatlander

Liturgist
FlatRedBall seems to have a lot of stuff that really isn't needed in a turn based RPG while not offering that much actual graphics functionality over other 2d libraries (like SFML, Love and what ever there is).

Personally I'm not that fond of Flash, but the 2d API is probably the best there currently is. At least I'm not aware of any (free) graphics libraries that would have all the functionality it offers, like easy to use filters and vector graphics and fairly fast basic 2d operations. All the native 2d libs I have seen seem to just use old school OpenGL without much support for anything besides blitting quads on the screen.

While HaXe is great I'd be wary of trusting the cross platform features of NME too much. Trying to duplicate any of the more complex Flash features in GL is likely to be very hard and error prone. I'd personally go with some higher level of abstraction myself if I were to develop a crossplatform HaXe game.

DakaSha

Arcane
FlatRedBall seems to have a lot of stuff that really isn't needed in a turn based RPG while not offering that much actual graphics functionality over other 2d libraries (like SFML, Love and what ever there is).

Lol somebody without a clue. It's based on XNA. Even if it werent a fullblown engine it would have more functionality then Loeve.. and it is a fullblown engine capable of shitloads.

http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2010/...-winner-of-dream-build-play-2010-for-a-r-e-s/

Sure is lacking on graphics functionality (Alll of that is possible with the high level features of FRB.. easily btw).
And how does an engine (that does not force you into some regime) "have lots of stuff not needed for a turn based RPG". I honestly do not understand how that statement makes any sense. It's a free form engine.

It has issues (every single engine out there does) but claiming it's issues lie with its graphical abilities or in it's lack of TBRPG.. features(?) is retarded and flat out wrong

While HaXe is great I'd be wary of trusting the cross platform features of NME too much. Trying to duplicate any of the more complex Flash features in GL is likely to be very hard and error prone. I'd personally go with some higher level of abstraction myself if I were to develop a crossplatform HaXe game.

What

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
How about FOonline engine?

Everything already in place, you just have to do some scripting & mapping.

It's windows only, but should cover all the needed features.

Yup, but not the entire engine is "open source", still lots of core mechanics to be made public, its getting constantly tweaked etc. Also, lots of documentations are still in russian, that's something I have to "fight" with aswell. :/

Btw - it now has a native opengl client so it should soon work under Linux much better.

Flatlander

Liturgist

Lol somebody without a clue. It's based on XNA. Even if it werent a fullblown engine it would have more functionality then Loeve.. and it is a fullblown engine capable of shitloads.

http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2010/...-winner-of-dream-build-play-2010-for-a-r-e-s/

Sure is lacking on graphics functionality (Alll of that is possible with the high level features of FRB.. easily btw).
And how does an engine (that does not force you into some regime) "have lots of stuff not needed for a turn based RPG". I honestly do not understand how that statement makes any sense. It's a free form engine.

It has issues (every single engine out there does) but claiming it's issues lie with its graphical abilities or in it's lack of TBRPG.. features(?) is retarded and flat out wrong
Defensive much? I'm just not much a fan of libraries that have useless cruft in them, like sprite or particle systems, which have limited use and can be easily implemented by yourself. So, no, I don't want any TBRPG features either.

What
I'm just wary of how well it works across different platforms. Flash, OpenGL ES and OpenGL all have their own quirks and different performance profile. Hell, even something as simple as drawing antialiased lines can be tricky (deprecated, buggy and slow in regular GL, doesn't exists in ES, trivial in Flash). That said I might give it a try.

DakaSha

Arcane
Defensive much? I'm just not much a fan of libraries that have useless cruft in them, like sprite or particle systems, which have limited use and can be easily implemented by yourself. So, no, I don't want any TBRPG features either.

Of course im defensive. You basically said im wrong while obviously not knowing what you are talking about. And I seriously do not get you at this point. First you complain about the lack of graphical abilities and now you say that you don't like "useless cruft" like sprite or particle systems.. exactly the things that make the difference between a lower level language and a higher level engine.

And it may be easy to implement a sprite or particle system but it is not easy to implement a full blown 2.5D camera system. thousands of hours work gave gone into that engine.

I'm just wary of how well it works across different platforms. Flash, OpenGL ES and OpenGL all have their own quirks and different performance profile. Hell, even something as simple as drawing antialiased lines can be tricky (deprecated, buggy and slow in regular GL, doesn't exists in ES, trivial in Flash). That said I might give it a try.

It works, albeit admittingly with quirks. That being said its maintained by people who actually use it and there are popular (cross platform) games made with it.
There are non flash methods of handling graphic and you can use NME's clones flash API and it works but it CAN be slow depending on the platform. It just depends what you have planned. The system does work but I wouldn't disagree with you about being wary and looking into it first.

Personally I use it for flash (so have no problems) with the advantage of being able to easily port to other platforms. Even with its quirks its much less painful then full out switching languages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom