Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Swords and Sorcery - Underworld: Definitive Edition

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Installed this at work ;)

Are buildings supposed to have no corners?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
They don't display for me. I just see the walls -- buildings are sets of walls with transparent corners. (Win7 64, unfortunately I should really go back to work so can't investigate more.)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
My buildings have corners..:MWin 7 32 bit....

Like the elf crotch shot loading screen, almost fap worthy.

Poor Peregrine...we hardly knew thee...got killed in the first fight with a Ranger. Healed her, got smacked down again, then butchered while down.

Combat is great fun, lot more tactical options and class skills than I remember in M&M, more like Wizardry. Getting the thief to hide than assassinate was neat, took away half the fucker's HP.

Interface is great, love that every control scheme is piss easy to use, highlighted key short cuts are better than in any crawler(yes, even those old ones didn't have everything displayed and accessible so easily).

Graphics are great. Crisp and easy on the eye.

First few things I've noticed that may or may not be bugs:

Despite being dead, Peregrine actually took the loot from the fallen enemy ranger.

Clicking on Skills or Magic just gets a 'character has not learned anything yet'. Is it meant to do this when I've used skills and magic in combat or is it just for non-combat skills and magic?

Apostrophes are missing in the text pop ups. Don't know if it's all the way through, but at the fortune teller definitely along with weird spaces between some letters.

The pause while searching is a bit strange. Is it supposed to be that noticeable?

EDIT: Just had a cool second encounter with a Drake. My 5 survivors of the first fight barely hung on, was looking hopeless as two fell dead quickly. Then an assassination attack ripped the Drake in half and I thought my spellcaster would finish it off before realising that I was out of range for burning hands. Shit, had to move forward and pray that the Drake would target someone else and it did, knocking out my rogue. This gave my spellcaster the chance to fry the fucker! YEEAHH!!!! I haven't whooped with joy from a TB encounter since ancient times!

Fuck I missed this genre!

I apologise for being such a graphics fag and not giving your game a chance before Charles but you have to admit, a good look certainly helps.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Thanks commie, especially for the fapping :)

First few things I've noticed that may or may not be bugs:

Despite being dead, Peregrine actually took the loot from the fallen enemy ranger.

That's not a bug. I didn't think much of making that part realistic. It's just a pain in the ass when inv is full and you have space on a disabilitated character.

Clicking on Skills or Magic just gets a 'character has not learned anything yet'. Is it meant to do this when I've used skills and magic in combat or is it just for non-combat skills and magic?

Bingo. The skills part is OK (the first learned skill isn't until level 3). But the Magic one is a bug. It'll work fine if you use 'M' but clicking triggers the skill script. Same hotzone.

EDIT: Just had a cool second encounter with a Drake. My 5 survivors of the first fight barely hung on, was looking hopeless as two fell dead quickly. Then an assassination attack ripped the Drake in half and I thought my spellcaster would finish it off before realising that I was out of range for burning hands. Shit, had to move forward and pray that the Drake would target someone else and it did, knocking out my rogue. This gave my spellcaster the chance to fry the fucker! YEEAHH!!!! I haven't whooped with joy from a TB encounter since ancient times!

Fuck I missed this genre!

I apologise for being such a graphics fag and not giving your game a chance before Charles but you have to admit, a good look certainly helps.

Great to hear about the first combat chills. In all fairness, lots of it wasn't there before (All tactical except awaken, run and wait are new). I'm glad I sweated through it though. Some combat situations do put you on your toes with the distance management to consider.

I don't remember holding it against anyone to require aesthetics, I just didn't think I could pull it off.

Now to find a 64 bit machine to see what the hell is up with those corners. Gotta love developping for the PC :p

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Apostrophes are missing in the text pop ups. Don't know if it's all the way through, but at the fortune teller definitely along with weird spaces between some letters.

The pause while searching is a bit strange. Is it supposed to be that noticeable?

Hey how'd those get in there? :D

I kind of gave up on the apostrophes a long time ago because they caused bugs. Then that problem was solved but I had way too many, then I plain just forgot about them. I really should finally tackle that before the final release though. That'll be... Horrendous. There's a lot of text and a LOT of missing apostrophes.

Hit space or click to end the search wait. Text waiting times were quite the balancing act, which is why I added game speed to the options and combat log during fights. I can still shorten it... Or maybe just have a shorter timer when nothing is found.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Yeah the tactical options requiring deciding whether to risk your spellcaster in the frontlines due to the extra damage he/she seems to do compared to low level melee fighters is cool. Can't wait to see how to use the other options.

Better combat than AoD and probably LoG(can't see how a RT crawler could be much more than a click fest regarding combat).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm assuming we're talking about a write-up, a preview I guess, based on demo impressions?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I'm assuming we're talking about a write-up, a preview I guess, based on demo impressions?

Well I'm just letting Charles know of the odd things I've seen and things I'm enthusiastic about. A mix of personal impressions and bug reports...

@ Charles

Regarding the search, I think just make the pause shorter when nothing is found. I'd actually be happy with nothing showing up and only finding something giving a popup, but I know others might like the feedback that actually clicking search did something.

As for the formatting, don't worry too much about it. I'd volunteer to help out if it was something simple like a bunch of files that needed editing and proofing, but I suppose it's probably more complicated than that.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Yes unfortunately a bit more complicated. The details are that the apostrophe is used to draw text.

draw_text(x,y,'this text to draw');

If I use the apostrophe in the text, it means the string ends there and it becomes a mess. What I didn't know is that I could replace it with " (for some reason the manual doesn't say this). Then I can put in my apostrophes.

Thanks for the offer but I'll go faster on my own by running a search for all s with a space before and after. I just had a look and if I only correct the texts that actually require it it isn't too bad.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Hey, this is looking great! Have you thought about trying to get it in to Steam or Desura? I think it would fit perfectly in the latter.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Distribution options are still a toss-up, but I will apply to both Steam and Desura and see how it goes. You're probably right about the latter in the sense that they won't require a price maul but still Steam could be tempting for the exposure... It'll always be available on the site as well for those inconvenienced by one or the other, or both.

I was turned down by Gog yesterday though. They didn't have time to try it.

Stabwound

Arcane
The one thing that bothers me is that it seems like the text isn't centered properly in any of the menus. Here's the most egregious example, the names and column header are overflowing from the menu.

Another example is how the bottom button "(X) Back" isn't really in the center. This is a terrible photoshopped example and not even quite center, but I just wanted to show how much better it would look if it were centered:

xqS9x.jpg

I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything, just giving some constructive criticism. The way everything is off center from the menu gives the game a very amateurish look; centering up the menus would make it look so much better and more in line with the rest of the graphics.

3jYCS.jpg

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Thanks, Stabwound. You're right I need to do that. It's like the apostrophes. Necessary but a real pain in the arse that I've shamefully procrastinated.

Flatlander

Liturgist
While we are nitpicking on the details: I think the font is too big for the buttons, it makes them feel a bit cramped. Or maybe make the buttons a bit taller?

I don't know if you already have some plans for it but the minimap doesn't really fit in with the rest of the graphics. Just changing the dull gray background to something other would help a lot. Black would seem like an obvious choice but some nice texture might work too as long as it stays readable.

Edit: Too bad with the GOG thing :(

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
While I do see the centering as a necessity, text size not so much. There's always a workload (delay)/ benefit to consider and for that I don't see it.

I'll give Gog another shot with the sequel. I had the impression their answer wasn't set in stone. More a question of workload than anything else. I could be wrong though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Distribution options are still a toss-up, but I will apply to both Steam and Desura and see how it goes. You're probably right about the latter in the sense that they won't require a price maul but still Steam could be tempting for the exposure... It'll always be available on the site as well for those inconvenienced by one or the other, or both.

I was turned down by Gog yesterday though. They didn't have time to try it.

Fucking GoG. Time to add them to the shitlist. Maybe later though...you can never be on enough sites I guess even though of course I'll buy direct from the source.

I don't know if you already have some plans for it but the minimap doesn't really fit in with the rest of the graphics. Just changing the dull gray background to something other would help a lot. Black would seem like an obvious choice but some nice texture might work too as long as it stays readable.

What's the problem with the minimap? It's how it should be, simple, functional, non distracting. The whole unexplored region is black so making the actual filled in parts black too is a bit much.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Legend of Grimrock shows that you should just make your game prettier to get on GOG. Don't improve gameplay, focus on graphics and interface instead. :P

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Legend of Grimrock shows that you should just make your game prettier to get on GOG. Don't improve gameplay, focus on graphics and interface instead. :p

Charles and co did enough already. They reached my minimum threshold for graphic whorism and actually exceeded it several times over. Who really needs more?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was kidding.

Well, half-kidding, at least. It does seem to me that the prettier your game is, the more services like GOG and Steam are going to like it. But I may be wrong.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I was kidding.

Well, half-kidding, at least. It does seem to me that the prettier your game is, the more services like GOG and Steam are going to like it. But I may be wrong.

No, unfortunately I think you are right, although given the graphical and gameplay quality of some of the games on those sites, I can't see how Underworld cannot be considered. I think it must be the whole package of graphics AND being a old school TB RPG because there are a lot of dubious pixel art 'retro'(the modern byword for cheap arse ripped off, repetitive arcade shit) games on such sites.

Oh by the way, how long is this game? Taking into consideration marketing exaggeration and so forth, being a player that enjoys a bit of grindan to max out stats and map every spot, how does it compare to the early M&M's?

empi

Augur
Haven't had time to play in detail yet, but seems like a really fun dungeon crawl, graphics are looking nice, combat is fun. Can't wait to play a bit more

(Best indie RPG demo i've played for a long time harhar)

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
It's hard to say at this stage. They were swamped and had a deadline (as today's events showed). Had they tried it and said no it would be different. I'll just give it a few months and try again.

By then people will have finished Grimrock and some may ask for more. I already pointed out to Gog that a good deal of comments on forums here and there proved a part of the audience would have preferred turn-based. All I need now is a few dozen people lamenting that such games require 18 months dev time and can be finished in a week. :D

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I was kidding.

Not at all, I think you might be on to something there Bee. I smell conspiracy!

Kinda reminds me of my last job interview. I had all the necessary skills, still they decided to hire that skinny chick with big "charisma" that had no experience whatsoever entertaining people... I just realized this conspiracy has to be bigger than the games industry alone - it already spread to the entertainment business! That's the sole reason they didn't hire me at the Love You Long Time men's entertainment lounge!!!
Time for a good old fashioned discrimination lawsuit.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Works for me on Win 7 64-bit, corners included. Didn't play it much yet, but since this isn't exactly my genre, you probably shouldn't listen to me anyway.
It did look rather pretty, though, and the tactical options in combat seem nice. The interface will take some getting used to for me, probably due to the fact that you're trying to make it viable for a keyboard-only approach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom