Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG II better than NWN

Fodel

Novice
Relien said:
I loved Fallouts, Arcanum and Torment, but I really didn't enjoy BG1 after I left Candlekeep (or what was the name of that citadel you begin in). After that moment I started to dislike it more and more and I didn't find anything good about it (or very little). Is there a chance I will like BG2?

No, even as adventure game BG1 is better BG2

Tris McCall

Novice
WouldBeCreator said:
Elsydeon said:
It seems like the people who holds PS:T in such high regard never played longer than Sigil.

That's just silly.

I will agree that Curst and Carceri are much less interesting than Sigil, but I assume you that PS:T's fans didn't quit midway through. (Unless by "seems" you mean, "given how they ignore the limitations. . . .") That said, even the post-Sigil parts are brilliantly written, even if the writing is limited (compared to the rest of the game).

I remember Curst and the Outlands as a slight lull, but Baator and the conclusion in the Fortress were as engrossing and emotionally intense as anything that happened in Sigil.

Some of the best writing in the game comes at the very end.

aboyd

Liturgist
Tris McCall said:
Baator and the conclusion in the Fortress were as engrossing and emotionally intense as anything that happened in Sigil.

Some of the best writing in the game comes at the very end.
I was about to respond to Elsydeon's silly comment by writing what you just wrote. Thanks for saying it for me, in probably more polite terms.

I would have to say that the Fortress is probably some of the best stuff I've read/played in a long time. I loved the mystery of it the first time through, and the subsequent playthoughs revealed some great depth and variance in the dialogues, depending upon your stats. I remember being deeply and genuinely moved by it.

-Tony

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Yes, PS:T dungeons and other ''combat-only'' areas were really tiny and those where few. I spent 80% of time reading and roleplaying. Uness you played with dumb NO or just skipped the dialogue and got down to bashing as soon as someone appeared in the vicinity. I really don't understand how did you come up with such viewpoint.
Compared to hundreds of hours of pure dungeon crawling in BG saga Torment is a joke. And combat was relatively easy too(maybe too easy). Not so annoyingly hard or tedious battles as in the number of other games.

As for areas being weak compared to Sigil. Well, encounter with the big pile of skulls and Fjull were one of my favourites.
Anyway, Sigil probably takes 3/4 of the game time and when you get out of it the end is already near. There's only Curst and Carceri and then there's Fortress of Regrets which is brilliant once again.

Micmu

Magister
God damnit, I really hated those many and utterly predictable "haha you can't kill me - *teleports away*" moments in BG2.

Atrokkus

Erudite
BG2 is quite linear in the main plot, but there are still some attempts to hide that linearity, and they are quite successful for the most part. The slayer, for instance, is a very solid concept, which allows to actually express your character's identity. I think it should have been explored more extensively.

But the real beauty is in side-quests, which, for the most part, are quite non-linear.

So, yeah, major RP elements are quite underdeveloped. However, coupled with great story and characters, these weak RPG elements are kind of obfuscated, making you feel like you are really playing a full-fledged RPG. That's what happened to me, and, frankly, I still consider it RPG. Perhaps, it's just that stereotype that Ive developed back when I first played it (it was a while ago), or an internal conflict of opinions on what a real RPG should be like? I don't know...

Irenicus has the best voiceactor ever. <3
I agree, though there's nothing much special in David Warner's voice, just the standart pompous RP. But damn it sounds great. Fits Jon perfectly.

Torment is a marvellous RPG (there is no internal conflict on this), one of the best ive ever played. However, I can't see the point in comparing it to other games, particularily BG2. Completely different games, albeit sharing both RPG and adventure elements.

kris

Arcane
Rat Keeng said:
Fanboy mentality would probably dictate that I obviously hate the entire game, because of what I said above, but despite it's flaws, I enjoyed playing both BG 1 and 2, the first one in particular, mostly because of the lower character levels.

This is a interesting point and something I agree on. Except I liked BG2 better than BG1 in most ways. But the thing about low levels being more interesting than later. One thing may be that the only interesting fights for a high level is often more stupid or against opponents that you won't otherwise have much interaction with. Or because you feel so unattached from the world when you slay gods. Or because late fights is more about seeing special effects than anything else (at least we don't have FF magic in all games :D).

I liked the interaction and the quests in BG2, especially in the first half. I felt that freedom of being able to do what I wanted more than in other Bioware games.

Baley

Liturgist
As an amateur masochist, I have long searched for a game as insidiously monotonous, fueled by a combat-system so pubescently awkward and a story so utterly moronic that made me, at times, faintly wonder if it's not all a farce, a gargantuan masquerade, orchestrated by individuals of the greatest of malevolence. I needed to discover the names of my torturers, their inherent powers made me shiver with hidden glee, then I saw it, a cold Monday morning, the source of my pain, Canada, it all made perfect sense.

Tormenting experiences, I've had a few, none matched the continuous assault on the feeble notion of fun that Neverwinter Nights unleashed.

-My genitals, bitten by a Malaysian shemale, delicious compared to the glory of NWN.
-Ganbanged by 200 frenzied Mexicans, pleasureful and never daunting.
-Shaking hands with the pope, bloody uneventful.
-Finishing Morrowind, mildly gratifying.
-Residing in Romania for over 16 years, rejuvenating.

So, you sadistic clowns, enjoy my pain, taste my bloodstained fingers, smell my dying corpus, you too will get your just reward. Time kills all wounds.

DemonKing

Arcane
metallix said:
Irenicus has the best voiceactor ever. <3
I agree, though there's nothing much special in David Warner's voice, just the standart pompous RP. But damn it sounds great. Fits Jon perfectly.

I dunno - I liked the voice but it seemed a bit mismatched with that pitiful little bald avatar of Irenicus.

Also, it lacked the sort of qualities that I would associate with an elf (which is what Irenicus was, if I remember rightly).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN > ALL

Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid, immature, and a poopyhead!!!

Atrokkus

Erudite
I dunno - I liked the voice but it seemed a bit mismatched with that pitiful little bald avatar of Irenicus.

Also, it lacked the sort of qualities that I would associate with an elf (which is what Irenicus was, if I remember rightly).
First off, he's elf no longer, as he was exiled from the elven society for his crimes. It is not known what his voice was back then before he was exiled. Though I don't really see how this voice could be "un-elven".. well, yeah, most of elves have those oily, hushed voices, but that's mostly an accent, not the biological trait... whatever.
Plus, he seems to lack positive emotions, ignoring pleasures, even those that would really arouse any other "villain". In one of his diaries he is amazed at Bodhi's vigour and liveliness, how she laughs and has fun -- something that Irenicus is unable to experience. HIs voice reflects that perfectly.

DorrieB

Liturgist
You know, I thought BG2 was not a bad wee time killer, and sure I don't hate it with a burning passion or anything like that, but I agree with pretty much everything a Ms. Lisa Jonte wrote here:

http://www.sequentialtart.com/archive/o ... 1002.shtml

Plus a few other sticking points I could add that she didn't bother with. And Planescape: Torment is a precious gift of heart-melting art for all humanity, and a joy to all, so no comparison. And NWN is, well, no comparison either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom