Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Studio & Moebius Closed Down

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
She just passed 50% of the initial goal, I hope it reaches 300k!

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
I'm sure they will do as it has been going up at a consistent rate and is halfway funded 10 days in with 35 days to go. What will be interesting is to see if they make it to 600k and we potentially get 2 games out of it and also what effect if any the vote results coming on Monday to determine the 1st game will have on the pledge rate as I'm sure some people haven't backed yet due to not knowing what they'll get for their pledge.

trustno1code

Prophet
Just a heads up, the voting is live, as well as a 10 page pdf with more info and concepts about the three games (backers only).

Alex

Arcane
Sorry, Stabwound, but Ms. Jensen specifically asked the backers to not do it, which I can't help but see as really lopsided think. The pdf is pretty good, and releasing it could help bring more people into the project.

Stabwound

Arcane
Withholding information, especially a 10-page document, about the project from non-backers while the kickstarter is still running is an incredibly stupid idea.

trustno1code

Prophet
This is her rationale:
Jane Jensen said:
Also, I wanted to demonstrate with the pdf that our CSG members will get insight into games early on that players normally do not have.

I agree at this point it's not the best move, but I guess You can always just jump in with the 16$ or whatever and back out later if needed (not recommended!).

kaizoku

Arcane
It's true that it's a double edged sword. But I find it to be fair.
The fact is her kickstarter page already has more information about the game and the gameplay than most kickstarters have.
And it's also true that you could have backed with $16 and cancel (or raise!!!) that pledge at anytime.
Put that together with the list of her previous games and you should know if you want to back it or not.
And with kickstarter you always have to have a little faith no matter what.

In a certain way, this approach was a try it before you buy it. Come on in, have a glass of wine free of charge... and because you like it so much you decide to stay and pay for dinner after all.
You pledge, then get the right to vote and access more info, then if you're not happy with it you can cancel your pledge.
The problem with it is that I think a lot people still don't know that they can cancel their pledge at any time and also that if the project fails to meet its goals no one is charged.

Pledges and backers numbers by day: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg/

For curiosity sake check these too:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure/
You kind of get the same pattern.

At an average of 10,000$ a day, with 34 days to go we get 340000, add the current 160000, and you get 500k$
The last days tend to be more intense, but in this kickstarter there is also the issue of the 600$k goal to get two games so some of the $50 backers may chicken out.
The good news is that JJ also told that there is also the possibility of some outside funding, so maybe it can cover the remaining and that acts as a catalyzer which then makes the need of outside funding no longer necessary :smug:

Redlands

Arcane
Anyone feel like sharing the PDF with non-backers? :smug:

Sure, just send at least $16 to Jane Jensen. :smug:

Anyway, I'm kind of torn of what to vote for: I Can't Believe It's Not Gabriel or Terrible Sequel (the other one sounds a bit too romantic period piece, even though I do love old English village as a setting). On the one hand more pseudo-Gabriel would be good, on the other hand it might not be a good idea to tap into too much Knightness if she can get her hands on the rights to that.

Palikka

Arcane
http://af.gog.com/en/news/ask_a_developer_a_question_gabriel_knight?as=1649904300
Ask a developer a question: Gabriel Knight

It’s been a while since we’ve had a special interviewee on GOG.com, but whenever opportunity arises, we love to sit down with people behind classic PC games and ask them some of your questions. Today, you have a chance to delve into the process of creating an amazing adventure game like the gripping, captivating, supernatural detective series Gabriel Knight because we have Jane Jansen, series designer and writer, ready to answer 6 questions from the GOG.com community.
Whatever questions you want to ask, now is the time to do so! We’ll select 6 questions to send to Jane along with a few of our own, and the authors of the selected questions will be rewarded with any free classic $5.99 or $9.99 GOG game of their choice. You can submit as many questions as you want until Wednesday, April 18 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.

trustno1code

Prophet
hell with the game, at which pledge-tier do I get to meet their daughter
"Pledge $10,000 or more

1 Backer • Limited Reward (9 of 10 remaining)
"STUDIO GOLD MEMBER": Lunch with Jane and Robert at the studio in PA or at a game conference they're attending. A private farm/studio tour (in Lancaster County PA) including a hands-on sneak peek of our gaming morsels in production. Your character design (from previous tier) will be a character in one of our games (name and likeness). All previous reward tiers' incredible goodies!"

:kfc:

Heads up for any horny bastard without 10k:

Pledge $4,999 or more

0 Backers
New reward for the $5K and up levels -- the Scarlet Furies will fly anywhere in the U.S. and perform a private concert at your event. (everything else at the $5K tier still applies as well)

Stabwound

Arcane
I listened to some of their music and it's surprisingly not bad. She's a pretty good singer. She even does a Nirvana cover which is a lot better than you'd expect, being a woman doing a Nirvana cover.

Monolith

Prophet
There goes another 51 bucks (wanted the GK novels). I've spent more on gaming in the last two days than during the last two years thanks to Kickstarter (and a new job). A pity it won't be a new GK game, but the premise looks interesting and if everything works out, the next game might be GK 4...

Monolith

Prophet
Well, he's still doing VO for games, and one of the last was for Brütal Legend, which doesn't look like a title with a huge budget.

trustno1code

Prophet
Well, he's still doing VO for games, and one of the last was for Brütal Legend, which doesn't look like a title with a huge budget.
Well, it was a bit more that Janes 300k:
Tim Schafer said:
Around 20 million. More than that in marketing. I don't have all the numbers for the licencing, but I know the normal songs were like $4-5 thousand a song, and some of the big songs were closer to $40,000.

Alex

Arcane
I really wished Mrs. Jensen kickstarter would pick up steam. If we can get to $600,000 (which I don't think is too outlandish, given where Larry's kickstarter is), everyone will get 2 major game instead of one.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
People have been asking for a pledge tier between the $250 and $1000 but it took a while to find something special enough for that. Fortunately, the predicament was solved when Matt Salzberg, owner of some really amazing original GK art, tossed me an email.

Here's the story of these gems -- Salzberg bought them from someone who had rescued them from a DUMPSTER as the old Sierra building in Oakhurst was being cleared out. That's right, a dumpster. Talk about pearls among swine! Anyway, he generously offered me the use of these lovelies for my campaign. What a guy.

What they are:

Original, black and white sketches from GK1, created by the GK1 team artists (mostly John Shroades, the art director). These are not copies, but the original sketches. These are one-of-a-kind.

There are 160 sketches in all. Some are of room scenes, some are characters, some are insets, some are storyboards, some are from cut scenes. All of them are terrific and very evocative of GK1. We will assign these out as backers pledge this tier so pledge early!

These will be signed by Robert and Jane and they would look quite nice framed, I think. John Shroades has even offered to sign these.

This reward is at a new $500 tier -- that tier also gets everything below it. Backers at the $1K and up levels also get one. Once they're gone, I'll close the tier.

I hope these help bring in some higher pledges. :salute:

If only I could win the lotto.... :/ Those sketches are pretty damn sweet.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I listened to some of their music and it's surprisingly not bad. She's a pretty good singer. She even does a Nirvana cover which is a lot better than you'd expect, being a woman doing a Nirvana cover.

Yup it's very good. Not the best vocals I've heard, but definitely a very pleasant voice. If her singing in Grey Matter's anything to go by, then I really hope we hear more of her in Jane Jensen's new game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.gamer.no/artikler/109389/gabriel-knight-far-innflytelse-pa-moebius/

Scroll towards the bottom. Jane is answering some questions from the public (in English).

If your new studio becomes successful (I'm a backer by the way), do you have any plans to negotiate with Activision for the Gabriel Knight license? I would love to see you make another GK game!

Yes, there is a good possibility that Pinkerton Road will be able to do something with the GK games down the road. We need to get a successful kickstarter campaign under our belt and Moebius underway first. Stay tuned!

Still reading through some of this...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom