Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Ashes: Two Worlds Collide, Ultima-Inspired Party Based RPG, Seeks Crowd Funding

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Ashes: Two Worlds Collide; Indiegogo

Ashes: Two Worlds Collide is another indie turn- and party-based role-playing game in need of your support. Apparently, the game was under development until 2008, with "almost 300,000 lines of code" written and "hundreds of original low poly models and textures" designed. But then various real life factors struck. Now, however, the two-man team behind the game seeks to continue working on it if they manage to collect enough funds. How much is enough, you ask? $100,000, per the goal stated at Indiegogo. (Please note that Indiegogo seems to work differently from Kickstarter; this, in particular, is a "Flexible Funding campaign," meaning it "will receive all of the funds contributed by Thu May 17 at 11:59PM PT.")

Ashes: Two Worlds Collide is a single player role-playing game built on the philosophy of old school RPGs and is strongly inspired by three milestones of RPG history: Ultima VII, Drakkhen and Demon's Winter. We're trying to replicate the exploration, atmosphere and compelling plots of these classics while adding some other features.

eYUsE.jpg
SD0wZ.jpg

Features:
  • Open Seamless World: The world of Ashes is open and seamless. You are free to travel where ever you like within the natural constraints of the game - gaining access to the Supreme Sacred Solar Bishop Radagast may be beyond any mortal.
  • Deep Story: Ashes: Two Worlds Collide represents one of many stories forged in the minds of a group of pen and paper rpg players over a period of 10 years.
  • Tactical Turnbased Combat: We're not talking Jagged Alliance but we are hoping to implement tactical elements into the turnbased combat system. Anyone who has enjoyed turnbased combat will be relieved to know that Ashes is certainly not a hack and slash game.
  • Characterised Party: In Ashes you get to create your own party of four characters but they won't just be a bunch of names and stats. For each member you'll also have to choose a personality (valiant leader, cynical wrangler, shy intellectual and eccentric weirdo) which will play a very important role in the game.
  • Party Dialogue: Ashes is all about role playing a party rather than an individual with followers. As such the dialogue system lets you speak using the voice of any party member and use their individual skills as you see fit.
  • Reputation: Ashes will use a simple but effective reputation system. Kill innocents or steal and your reputation will follow you. Guards will begin chasing you as you enter a town, merchants will refuse to trade with you, and if you really get too far - be prepared for bounty hunters seeking your head.
  • Living NPC's: NPCs don't just stand in one place all day. They live their lives, work in their shops, walk around, eat at lunchtime, sleep at night and so on.
If we manage to get funding it will allow us to hire the people we need to help build this world and for you to come and experience it. Also, think of the children! All those growing up today that may never experience a proper role playing game! They need to be saved!​

If you feel like supporting Ashes, be sure to visit the game's Indiegogo page. You can also find more information about the game there as well as on the official website.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Characterised Party: In Ashes You get to create your own party of four characters but they won't just be a bunch of names and stats. For each member you'll also have to choose a personality (valiant leader, cynical wrangler, shy intellectual and eccentric weirdo) which will play a very important role in the game.

Somebody tell the poor lost souls on the Wasteland 2 forums about this game.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Characterised Party: In Ashes You get to create your own party of four characters but they won't just be a bunch of names and stats. For each member you'll also have to choose a personality (valiant leader, cynical wrangler, shy intellectual and eccentric weirdo) which will play a very important role in the game.

Somebody tell the poor lost souls on the Wasteland 2 forums about this game.

To be fair, that isn't the same thing as Bioware-style party banter.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Ashes is being built using WegGL[sic], HTML5 and Javascript which means the game will run in a browser. At the moment Chrome, Firefox and Safari support these technologies.
:hmmm:

Is there any info about the original game besides this ?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The tech: Ashes is being built using WegGL, HTML5 and Javascript which means the game will run in a browser. At the moment Chrome, Firefox and Safari support these technologies.
:what:

EDIT: Ninja'ed. :oops:

Anyway, weird project, why make all that "Maniac Mansion" presentation, but not show a single video of your game working? And why the hell make it on browsers?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
How much is enough, you ask? $100,000, per the goal stated at Indiegogo (which is, from what I've gathered, the same thing as Kickstarter except for non-US citizens; somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
That is correct. Which is funny cuz they call it a Kickstarter initiative in the video.

Here's what I could interpret from the video:

"now shut your ears if you're not a true geek at heart. Ashes will be the first full crpg to run inside a browser with no plugins. powered by html5, javascript and webGL"
"kickstart us and give us a year and a half."
"we have to employ a fulltime 3d artist, a couple of coders, some equipment and rent a tiny office space. that's all we need."

I think I'll pass on this one.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
I tried to give 'em a tiny bit but the transaction was refused.

Oh wait... I know why...

That video hints at lot of work but walking around like that would probably drive me crazy.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
How much is enough, you ask? $100,000, per the goal stated at Indiegogo (which is, from what I've gathered, the same thing as Kickstarter except for non-US citizens; somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
That is correct. Which is funny cuz they call it a Kickstarter initiative in the video.

Looks like they found out about the KS US-only clause after finishing the video.

Also, I really don't think that 3D is the way to go for indie cRPGs.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Also, I really don't think that 3D is the way to go for indie cRPGs.
Agreed, unless you are going to really do it well, like Grimrock. Even AoD would probably look better isometric or something like that...still, this game do look okay/good.

Making it look good is one thing. Although aged 3D is far worse for me than aged 2D / pixel art, that's just the surface. Pathfinding, camera management looks like it'll be a nightmare for them, and possibly for players. LoG and AoD worked around those issues by basically avoiding them. Ashes is taking them head on, and that affects gameplay if they do it wrong (which is what the above video suggests imho).

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
And with W2 collecting today, and Indiegogo charging from the get-go... How does that work anyway? If target isn't met they issue refunds? Do they realize that there's a cost for international transactions? If that is the case they don't end up with zero, but a boatload of bank costs. I suppose they have a way around this but then again they (indiegogo) may well be the amateurs they kind of look like.

Monolith

Prophet
I used to follow the development back when they were still dropping a newsitem every now and then. It certainly looked better in 2008, but it's inspired by Ultima VII + TB combat and although the latter is getting increasing amounts of love lately, the former should pop up way more often. I hope they'll get the necessary amount, and while that isn't very likely, I'll make sure to drop some coin once I receive an overdue pay.

Lonerville

Educated
For each member you'll also have to choose a personality (valiant leader, cynical wrangler, shy intellectual and eccentric weirdo) which will play a very important role in the game.

Hrm. Where's the "cynical pseudo-intellectual" option for your average Codexer?

:troll:

MCA
I'm disappoint, Crooked Bee. Not only is this a very old project but Codex even hosted their official forums for a while. Treating them like total strangers is sad. We're no strangers to it.

(How the fuck do you tag someone so they get a notification?)

Crooked Bee

Patron
I'm disappoint, Crooked Bee. Not only is this a very old project but Codex even hosted their official forums for a while. Treating them like total strangers is sad. We're no strangers to it.

Sorry villain, I should've done my homework better, I know, but there are many various fan/indie projects around so it didn't occur to me I should research this one better. Also, the PM I received from the devs didn't mention that.

(And you can tag people by adding a @ before their username, villain of the story)

Stabwound

Arcane
In what universe do people want to play an RPG in a browser window? Holy fuck what a terrible idea.

The problem with indiegogo that some people might not have noticed is that most of the campaigns are "flexible" campaigns. It means that they get all of the money pledged regardless of whether or not they meet their goal. Even if they get like 20% they still get the money and you'll probably get nothing. :smug:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In what universe do people want to play an RPG in a browser window? Holy fuck what a terrible idea.
If it was an online RPG (think Ultima Online, maybe), this would actually be a pretty nice idea and some online games already work that way, though they usually use Java applets instead of WebGL (as that is simply too new for serious 3D game development).
But a single player RPG in the browser? Wtf, indeed. Impossible to get immersed in any way, if you ask me...

The problem with indiegogo that some people might not have noticed is that most of the campaigns are "flexible" campaigns. It means that they get all of the money pledged regardless of whether or not they meet their goal. Even if they get like 20% they still get the money and you'll probably get nothing. :smug:
If that is true, this would indeed be a problem for many people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom