Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Risen 2 Thread

Keep those impressions flowing, particularly on what similarities and changes to Risen 1 you have observed. If everything works out well, I will send a few Zogbucks to the developer and sail the seven seas.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Just read an interesting post on the Risen Steam forum:

" For people that don't know yet, there's apparently 3 "Day-1 DLCs" in this game:

1) Treasure Island - Which people would get for Pre-Ordering and which costs ~10€ after, an entire island with extra quests and stuff
2) Pirate Costume - A special armor, boots, hat, gun and ring with giving special stats and XP-Boni etc. (it's included in the Collector's Edition, but can also be bought later)
3) The Temple of Air - Which is apparently exclusive to the "Stahlbarts Schatz" Edition of the game that costs 90€ and people not ordering it that way can apparently only buy "a few weeks later", it's also an entire island with extra quests etc.

Not only that, but according to a german review site most of the stuff seems to have been blatantly cut out of the game:

http://www.pcgames.de/Risen-2-Dark-W...n-Bugs-879112/

Kind of roughly translated:
Quote:
[...]As negative one could assess the way, in which the game puts your nose towards missing already released and future DLC. Missing entries in the list of NPC-companions, that are marked with a question mark indicate further upcoming Mini-Add-Ons. The empty space for the missing legendary item from The Treasure Island-DLC is also shown in the main game and the player finds a letter in a bottle, which presumably has something to do with the upcoming Expansion around The Temple of Air. These loose ends make players feel uncomfortable about missing out on content, without buying the additional DLCs. Annoying! "

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671865

No thanks.

Antagonist

Liturgist
Yeah, first time since Gothic 1 that I don't buy a Piranha Bytes game on release. :( I have yet to buy a DLC for any game and I will continue this tradition by waiting for a complete edition or skip this title altogether if PB decides to withhold one. This reminds me to order Fallout: New Vegas...

Angthoron

Arcane
Is there an option to disable shadows completely?

Yeah. The settings selection isn't too bad at all, though it seems that it's the Speedtree or whatever they're using to show leaves that's bugging - observed it at close distance and it seems that the leaves can keep "morphing" on their own, which looks like a kaleidoscope for a second or so. It's not too bad, but if you're looking at an island from the sea, you might see some "tearing" like shadows and 2D planes were glitching out. No setting seemed to affect it - even forcing settings in NVidia control panel. So yeah, I'm guessing it's either something specific to my system, or a bug that will probably be fixed soon. Either way, still totally playable despite that.

Captain Shrek

Yeah, first time since Gothic 1 that I don't buy a Piranha Bytes game on release. :( I have yet to buy a DLC for any game and I will continue this tradition by waiting for a complete edition or skip this title altogether if PB decides to withhold one.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So yeah, posted a bug report on their forums, and provided some images. If you guys have any idea what this could be, let me know, I can try fiddling with settings.

http://i.imgur.com/pJC9T.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WXpju.jpg
Well known bug in ATI GPUs, mainly due to lack of optimization for them (devs made the game for Nvidia, it seems). You could try installing proper drivers for your video card, if you are one of these people who always update them, instead of keeping the most optimized for your GPU. If you actually have old drivers, you could install new ones. To be honest I never got rid of it in Gothic games (Gothic, Gothic 2) on some of the ATI cards, it wasn't very annoying though.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm running on Nvidia beta drivers, so, nope - and they're "recommended" at the moment.

Before that I was running on "current" drivers - same thing.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well then, I'm confused. Sorry, I can't help you. I've never encountered this thing on Nvidia GPUs.

Kraszu

Prophet
The combat is more or less like Risen 1 so far, accidentally messed up and got myself half a health bar drained by sand devils. No health regen, eating restores health fairly slowly. Haven't levelled so far, so it's been down to basic attacks + block, despite being armed with a saber it's more or less like staring out in R1 with whatever you manage to scrounge up.

THis is why we can't have nice things. The combat can't be judge just by just the number of strikes that you can do, in R1 your position, and timing was important in R2 you just bash the attack key untill the animal opponent or you drops dead.

Angthoron

Arcane
The combat is more or less like Risen 1 so far, accidentally messed up and got myself half a health bar drained by sand devils. No health regen, eating restores health fairly slowly. Haven't levelled so far, so it's been down to basic attacks + block, despite being armed with a saber it's more or less like staring out in R1 with whatever you manage to scrounge up.

THis is why we can't have nice things. The combat can't be judge just by just the number of strikes that you can do, in R1 your position, and timing was important in R2 you just bash the attack key untill the animal opponent or you drops dead.
...Which is why I got totally demolished by the combat trainer NPC who kept spamming counter-attacks, dirty tricks and parries against my feeble blows, and even occasionally cutting through my block.

Admittedly, on the first island so far, I've demolished two piglets and some sand devils with Patty's help, but that doesn't remove the fact that human fights are much harder and the AI actually makes use of skills.

I do hope for wolfpack type of things from Risen 1 though, where the effing things would try to flank/attack from behind, but I've not seen enough to form the opinion, haven't launched the game today yet. (except to take screens for bug report)

Kraszu

Prophet

...Which is why I got totally demolished by the combat trainer NPC who kept spamming counter-attacks, dirty tricks and parries against my feeble blows, and even occasionally cutting through my block.

Admittedly, on the first island so far, I've demolished two piglets and some sand devils with Patty's help, but that doesn't remove the fact that human fights are much harder and the AI actually makes use of skills.

I do hope for wolfpack type of things from Risen 1 though, where the effing things would try to flank/attack from behind, but I've not seen enough to form the opinion, haven't launched the game today yet. (except to take screens for bug report)

Hence I was refering to fights against animals, but I do have a big problem with free camera, it makes movment completly awkard you can't strafe at usable speed.

Jashiin

Arcane
All I care about is whether or not that "PB" vibe is present. Combat has always been shit their games

Anything ought to feel like shit when you are a shithead. Gothic and Gothic 2 have one of the best combat models in real time RPGs.

yeah getting ready for another playthrough of g2. been a while. So which should i use for g2. g2 or g1 control style ?

Angthoron

Arcane
Haven't had problems with camera myself yet, but I'll keep an eye on how it behaves once I'm back to playing.

Captain Shrek

I consider Dark Messiah an RPG and then Compared to Gothic it had a billion times better combat.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Combat in Dark Messiah was kind of a clusterfuck. Pretty gimmicky also. At least in my opinion.
Combat in Gothic 1 and 2 worked because of its simplicity. Not to say that it wasn't difficult to master.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wouldn't say combat in Gothic 1 + 2 was particularly difficult to master. Maybe a bit more so in G2 where you had to time your blocks. It had more to do with your character's skill level and equipment than player skill, really.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Maybe I had more difficulty with it than most others. It was mostly the dodging of attacks and the blocking I had greater trouble with. I've never been good at timing shit in games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom