Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian got fucked by Bethesda

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Good! Some concrete information, which certainly strengthens the theory (would be even stronger if you had a link to all these allegations). If they are true, I can't argue against it, and I don't really have any interest in that either.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116360-Jeff-Gerstmann-Explains-His-Departure-From-Gamespot
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...veteran-reviewer-over-journalistic-ethics.htm
http://wire.ggl.com/news/kunochan-o...rnalists-are-not-journalists-there-i-said-it/

And also, threatening to pull ads on gaming sites for giving bad scores, is certainly on the border of shady business practice, but it is legit.

It's legit on the part of the publishers, but it's certainly not legit on the part of the gaming review sites. Reviews aren't supposed to be third party marketing for a company, they're supposed to tell you what the reviewer thinks of the game, both good and bad, so the consumer can make a semi-informed decision on the product. There's a reason why Consumer Reports magazine doesn't have advertising and only makes their money from subscriptions, and it's the same reason why they're the most trusted general product review magazine.

Now, you can argue that it's LEGAL, but legal and legitimate are two different things.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Just visit forums and stuff if you really want an honest review. People who paid for the game are actually more honest than those who needs to give glowing reviews to continue receiving free passes in the future. It's not rocket science. Which is why restaurant critiques went undercover, they want the real deal; not some set piece bullshit you saw on TV where the cook comes out with a violin and start serenading to the two food reviewers as they fake orgasm over a bowl of noodles.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just visit forums and stuff if you really want an honest review. People who paid for the game are actually more honest than those who needs to give glowing reviews to continue receiving free passes in the future. It's not rocket science. Which is why restaurant critiques went undercover, they want the real deal; not some set piece bullshit you saw on TV where the cook comes out with a violin and start serenading to the two food reviewers as they fake orgasm over a bowl of noodles.

Reviews? Fuck, this is the age of Youtube. You can just go watch a video of somebody playing the first N hours of the game. Doesn't get any better than that.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Reviews? Fuck, this is the age of Youtube. You can just go watch a video of somebody playing the first N hours of the game. Doesn't get any better than that.

Yeah, that too.

aris

Arcane
Thank you Menckenstein and saint_proverbius for good solid links, they do indeed show cold hard facts, and I can't deny them.

qft, I find myself mostly doing this these days.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some of the comments in the story are the usual hilarious stuff:
Exactly. That is completely what caused the lower score. It is an excellent game, but it was close to a year on some platforms before it was actually playable. That is not going to get you a good score. And for anyone bitching about the deal: Obsidian AGREED to it. Bethesda didn't force them at gunpoint into it. Their arrogance and inability to deliver a functioning product on time (or anywhere close to it), caused them to lose the bonus. Nothing else. Personally I hate to see them go. I loved KOTOR II, New Vegas, and Dungeon Siege III.

Like Fallout 3 didn't have bugs, but of course these people are incapable of thinking for themselves. The reviewers had to find problems to give sub-85 scores and they blamed Obsidian for Bethesda problems. Therefore, according to the fans, it's Obsidian's problem!

I bought Fallout 3. I also bought Fallout NV collectors' edition. I've put hundreds of hours in both of them. Fallout 3 did not come with a bug that overwrote recent saves right out the gate. The problem with NV wasn't that "it had bugs", it's that the bugs were noticeable, interfered with the game considerably, and in the case of the save killing one, inexcusable. This isn't the first time Obshitian pulled this either, I had my save ruined in NWN2 as well, and never ended up finishing the game as a result.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some of the comments in the story are the usual hilarious stuff:
Exactly. That is completely what caused the lower score. It is an excellent game, but it was close to a year on some platforms before it was actually playable. That is not going to get you a good score. And for anyone bitching about the deal: Obsidian AGREED to it. Bethesda didn't force them at gunpoint into it. Their arrogance and inability to deliver a functioning product on time (or anywhere close to it), caused them to lose the bonus. Nothing else. Personally I hate to see them go. I loved KOTOR II, New Vegas, and Dungeon Siege III.

Like Fallout 3 didn't have bugs, but of course these people are incapable of thinking for themselves. The reviewers had to find problems to give sub-85 scores and they blamed Obsidian for Bethesda problems. Therefore, according to the fans, it's Obsidian's problem!

I bought Fallout 3. I also bought Fallout NV collectors' edition. I've put hundreds of hours in both of them. Fallout 3 did not come with a bug that overwrote recent saves right out the gate. The problem with NV wasn't that "it had bugs", it's that the bugs were noticeable, interfered with the game considerably, and in the case of the save killing one, inexcusable. This isn't the first time Obshitian pulled this either, I had my save ruined in NWN2 as well, and never ended up finishing the game as a result.

Inexcusable for Bethesda's QA.

.Pixote.

Augur
Developers never want to release a game with bugs, but the publishers are willing to - if they think they can meet some mysterious date that will ensure they sell an extra 1/2 a million units before the crowd catches on. Obsidian were caught between a rock and a hard place, F:NV brought in the money and kept people employed, but the tight deadline and ambitious build meant things were guaranteed to get sticky - not that Bethesda have a fuck.

As for corruption in gaming, its a sure thing, as it is in the banking industry, construction industry, policing industry, retail industry, religious industry, shall I go on...where there's money, there's dirt.

Morkar Left

Thank you Menckenstein and saint_proverbius for good solid links, they do indeed show cold hard facts, and I can't deny them.

qft, I find myself mostly doing this these days.

Luibl - atari incident:
kotaku
german interview with him about publishers

The chat with the Joker-Verlag owner is gone, at least I couldn't find it. There is only a shortened excerpt of it available now.

thesoup

Arcane
I used to write for an ambitious and the most popular gaming site in the region (not in English, ofc). Our editor forbade us to give scores to hits that deviated too much from their metacritic ranking, else all the retarded 15 year olds would stop reading and no hits = no ad revenue = no free stuff from publishers. I'm pretty sure it's even worse at bigger sites with even more traffic.

Keep in mind that for every reviewer that comes out there are 100 others that have a mortgage to pay. Make too big of a stir and not only will you lose your job, no one else will hire you because both they and the publishers won't approve. Turns out that ex-game reviewers don't have many professional prospects outside of the fast food industry. Jeff Gerstmann was lucky enough that he got fired in such a flamboyantly media-covered fashion that he could use that short second of fame to jumpstart his own site.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Keep in mind that for every reviewer that comes out there are 100 others that have a mortgage to pay. Make too big of a stir and not only will you lose your job, no one else will hire you because both they and the publishers won't approve. Turns out that ex-game reviewers don't have many professional prospects outside of the fast food industry. Jeff Gerstmann was lucky enough that he got fired in such a flamboyantly media-covered fashion that he could use that short second of fame to jumpstart his own site.

Well, if you're good enough, I imagine Jeff Gerstmann could hire you.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Was Bethesda's QA involved with NWN2 as well? Obshitian is renowned for its technical incompetence and it would appear it is finally going to bury them once and for all, at which point the codex rabble will blame "consoletards", "Bethesduh", "gaming journalism" and just about everybody else except the people who actually fucked up, just like they did with Troika.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Was Bethesda's QA involved with NWN2 as well? Obshitian is renowned for its technical incompetence and it would appear it is finally going to bury them once and for all, at which point the codex rabble will blame "consoletards", "Bethesduh", "gaming journalism" and just about everybody else except the people who actually fucked up, just like they did with Troika.

2/10
:mca:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
PXpLk.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

But their last one was technically competent??? I also believe South Park's going to be solid bugwise, considering it's going to be a jrpg with factions on their own engine. Also "not being fun" is a far greater problem than bugs, no one gives a fuck about Bethesda's bugs, not even the one that literally makes them unplayable on the PS3 if you play for too long.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
But their last one was technically competent???

DS 3? I stopped playing that because of the shit camera. Running up a tree only being able to see a few feet in front of you and getting drilled from off screen is not my idea of fun. I don't remember if it had any technical problems, but I also haven't played it long enough to judge.

I also believe South Park's going to be solid bugwise, considering it's going to be a jrpg with factions on their own engine.

Maybe. Have no interest in the subject so I won't be playing it.

Also "not being fun" is a far greater problem than bugs, no one gives a fuck about Bethesda's bugs, not even the one that literally makes them unplayable on the PS3 if you play for too long.

The game was fun enough for an 85+ though, the bugs is what did them in, since they can ruin an otherwise good game.

Never had bugs with any Obsidian game other than AP's ability to remove enemies upon reloading a save (which is more of a shitty feature anyway). That said, never had much of a problem with Bethesda games either.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know, it's a memory thing. But it's ridiculous that you have things like
PlayStation LifeStyle
Oct 24, 2010
In spite of Fallout: New Vegas being plagued with bugs, it still manages to take what is familiar and make it work. Sadly, I'm still not sure if putting in the hours is worth the effort just yet because of the random crashing that occurs, and that can really break your patience if you forgot to make that last important save file.
PlayStation LifeStyle
Nov 17, 2011
The gamer in everyone will launch Skyrim in their PS3 and sit in awe at the masterpiece Bethesda Game Studios has created.
TotalPlayStation
Jan 6, 2011
It hurts to not score this higher, especially considering the incredible writing and epic amount of well-varied quests, but the rampant bugs and gameplay that is getting stale really drag this down.
TotalPlayStation
Dec 28, 2011
I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
Playstation Universe
Oct 25, 2010
Fallout: New Vegas needed more time in the oven to work out all the kinks and bugs, but it is still a terrific experience for anyone interested in re-experiencing one of the greatest action-RPG series of our time.
Playstation Universe
Nov 10, 2011
Skyrim is not perfect, but the flaws don't keep it from being an excellent game. If you measure enjoyment on sure obsession and addiction, Skyrim is easily one of the greatest games of the generation, perhaps of all time. Open-world RPG fans have every reason to be excited; Bethesda truly delivered an extraordinary game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom