Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA facing massive loss

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I read somewhere that one of the TOR devs stated that, when the game had 1.7mil subs, only about a half of those were actually paying. So right now even IF they have 1.3 mil, which seems inflated, they wont have more than 400-500k paying subs. Dont know their running costs but it doesnt bode well.

Gord

Arcane
Everyone knows history of Hollywood? Especially that time in the late 40, when a big movie companies must face a competition from new Television media? Today, "new" indie wave is rising (meaning: growing awareness of it is rising) , history repeats itself, maybe.

And yet the big studios are still around (some of them anyway) and their movies are more crappy than ever (on average, for every good one there are a dozen uninspired sequels milking existing franchises and following the same worn-out formula).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Everyone knows history of Hollywood? Especially that time in the late 40, when a big movie companies must face a competition from new Television media? Today, "new" indie wave is rising (meaning: growing awareness of it is rising) , history repeats itself, maybe.

And yet the big studios are still around (some of them anyway) and their movies are more crappy than ever (on average, for every good one there are a dozen uninspired sequels milking existing franchises and following the same worn-out formula).

And the movie studios too blame piracy for their shitty products not making them their massive profits. Still pretty massive, but just not quite as high as they like. Guess history does repeat itself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-mmo-pulling-talent-away-from-dragon-age-team

"Dragon Age III appears to have slipped to FY:14. We had previously expected the next Dragon Age to be released in Q4:13, two years after its predecessor. However, we believe that a significant portion of the BioWare team responsible for the game was reassigned to Star Wars in order to create content and fix bugs to keep the game's audience engaged," Pachter commented.

LOL, Ultima IX/Online much? History repeats itself indeed.

CorpseZeb

Learned

Of course, they are. But the conscious was changed, also. Nobody except something "great and new" from the "old, big movie concerns", anymore. New age of directors, new themes, new stories goes to TV, to the smaller studios. Ethos was changed. Today, ever "console-teen-MW-COD-lovers" don't except originality from EA/AAA. Indie was acknowledge as originality bringers. Ethos is changing.

Ps. And, of course, the "young and angry" directors like Lucas and Spielberg, grow, get old, get bored and new, fresh people comes. Art is in neverstopping movement, yesterday vanguard becomes todays retro.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

And the movie studios too blame piracy for their shitty products not making them their massive profits. Still pretty massive, but just not quite as high as they like. Guess history does repeat itself.

As long as they keep making movies that glorify theft, like "Gone in 60 seconds", they have no reason to whine about people stealing their movies.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-mmo-pulling-talent-away-from-dragon-age-team

"Dragon Age III appears to have slipped to FY:14. We had previously expected the next Dragon Age to be released in Q4:13, two years after its predecessor. However, we believe that a significant portion of the BioWare team responsible for the game was reassigned to Star Wars in order to create content and fix bugs to keep the game's audience engaged," Pachter commented.

I know. It's the EXACT thing they did to Ultima IX. Oh well. Dragon turd is shit anyways. wont miss it when it is gone.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
"My name is EA, king of game publishers:
Look on my works ye Game Devs and despair!"

:obviously:

Angthoron

Arcane

Hey, at least Ultima Online was a good game.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
But how can this be when Dragon Age 2 was released just before this financial year and Volly said that sold 4503 million copies all the way until now and there's also the success of ME3 since then and Battlefield 3?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I know. It's the EXACT thing they did to Ultima IX. Oh well. Dragon turd is shit anyways. wont miss it when it is gone.

Not only that, but the story of DA2 is very similar to Ultima VIII's (half-baked action-focused sequel to a beloved RPG that was remarkably deep for its time)

first+as+tragedy+then+as+farce.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Jesus, Brian Cox does video games? He's one of the best actors out there. I guess money is money.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Uhhh hate to spoil the party buuuuuuut:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-07-ea-digital-revenue-grows-to-USD1-2-billion-in-fiscal-2012-as-company-sees-profits-grow

Fourth quarter net income grew from $151 million to $400 million while revenues grew from $1.09 billion to $1.368 billion. EA ended the quarter with $1.3 billion in cash, which is down from $1.6 billion a year ago. On a trailing twelve month basis, revenues grew from $3.589 billion to $4.143 billon and net income climbed from a loss of $276 million to a profit of $76 million.

Financial meltdown indeed...

Angthoron

Arcane
Uhh. That's Q4 of last year, they pushed out a lot of titles at Q4, not to mention their "WoW-killer". What'd you expect, that they'd be making losses in the most profitable quarter of the financial year? (Winter holidays lol)

Gord

Arcane
Yeah, the second link in my OP states that they made profit last year.
The loss is estimated for this year.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ah, okay my mistake. Still, they've had an even bigger loss the year before so I doubt that will really impact them that much. Hell such behemoths can hemorrhage cash for a LONG time before running into trouble.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yes, they can... it's a part of problem with such a big entities. But they lose reputation much faster, than money...

Cassidy

Arcane
Actually, they have an EA Partners program which picks up independent games and sells them wholesale, which is good for the independent developers that get picked up. It's nothing new, though. Encore and several other studios have done that kind of thing in the past.

Might as well be a trap to check if there is any independent developer worth absorbing and destroying, except they found none worth buying... yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom