Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Doom and gloom is nice, and there is even a profitable market for those who can take advantage of it, but it's still irrational.
Notice that I do not postulate anything requiring grand conspiracy, exceptional selfless malice nor deriving sexual pleasure from raping kittens and young children while strangulating them with a piano wire (although, to be honest Kotick does look the part).

No, I'm merely stating the obvious - if you bend over and allow them to profit by raping you in the ass and eroding your customer rights, they will respond by making profit by raping you in the ass and eroding your customer rights.
Someone is a little overly concerned with rapings of the ass, hrmmm?
Are you trying to tell us something?

DraQ

Arcane
Doom and gloom is nice, and there is even a profitable market for those who can take advantage of it, but it's still irrational.
Notice that I do not postulate anything requiring grand conspiracy, exceptional selfless malice nor deriving sexual pleasure from raping kittens and young children while strangulating them with a piano wire (although, to be honest Kotick does look the part).

No, I'm merely stating the obvious - if you bend over and allow them to profit by raping you in the ass and eroding your customer rights, they will respond by making profit by raping you in the ass and eroding your customer rights.
Someone is a little overly concerned with rapings of the ass, hrmmm?
Are you trying to tell us something?
Yes - that I fully conform to the lofty standards of Codexian discourse.
:obviously:

More codexers ignorant of basic computing security. Now I need to defend Blizzard...

Accounts getting stolen, 95% of the time, has nothing to do with the servers themselves being hacked. It is either people who choose "password", "12345", "MyAccountNameHere" as their password, or they have some keylogger that stole their password from them. If someone had gotten in to Blizzard's servers they would not be swiping game items of imaginary worth, they would be swiping credit card information. It's also highly unlikely that Blizzard's online authentication spontaneously developed a new vulnerability since its the same shit they have been using for WoW.

My bet is that a shit ton of people are looking for hacks and most of what they are finding also happen to have a keylogger in them.

damicore

Augur
Do you think they planted that many keyloggers average manatee?
The hacking was probably not server-side but it was not through keyloggers.
They probably exploited something client-side.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

There are hundreds of thousands of people with keyloggers (and DDOS attackers) running on their systems due to their general ignorance of the progress that virii writers made since 2005. Selling these hundreds of thousands of zombie machines is a commercial business in countries like Russia. They are also used to run DDOS attacks by groups like Anonymous and whatnot.

There's gotta be a percentage of those machines that run Diablo3. Therefore... OMG HACKED.

Plant, or put up maphack.exe, which works and gets 1000s of downloads, then nicely uploads the passwords a week later? It's even verified clean at first by "smart" people since it's time activated and does nothing special until the clock gets pushed forward enough. Even better, check for commonly-used software for monitoring and detecting the keylogger's presence, then don't activate the key logger for those systems. The 1% of people equipped to detect it never see it, the 99% of people unequipped have their credentials logged and uploaded.

The other big possibility is a MitM attack, where someone simply sniffs your traffic. That would either require someone logging you at the ISP/Network level, or someone sniffing your traffic over a wireless connection. The former is certainly improbable (again, if they could do it they would be robbing bank accounts), and the second would require them personally sitting nearby listening in, so there would be far less reports than a keylogger that can infect an unlimited number of people. Certainly don't use an unsecured wireless though, that's just stupid.

Fact of the matter is that 99% of people are absolutely clueless about security. I wouldn't believe Blizzard being at fault unless there was a lot more evidence than a few whiney idiots.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well the only possible way you could hack an account with an authenticator is a MitM attack. The codes change every 30 seconds or so.

A trojan could do the same. Though I doubt anyone would care to put in that much effort when you could get 1000s more people without any authenticators at all.

I don't dig the auction house at all. What's the point of crafting random crap when you can just buy much better stuff cheaper? In addition to that, what's the point of trying to find good stuff, only money is important. Bah.

Speaking of ass rape, I just died like 8 times in a row on normal (Act IV). Exactly what is the defence against massed stunlock, knockback and freezing elites? Because all I can do is blow every single cooldown I have and either wait 2m or almost certainly die to the next encounter :roll:

The counter to dying is paying Blizzard more jewgold. Haven't you been paying attention?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I am growing bored of this game again. The combat is now reduced to hitting keys: 1 (Frost nova), 4 (Explosion), 2 (Meteor), left mouse (Arcane Ball) - rince and repeat. When I try to use something else I generally get my arse handed to me... Meh.

The story is getting worse and worse. I started to regret protagonist has the voice now. Hearing my wizard spit bullshit like "We shall defeat evil no matter the cost" or "There's still hope left as long as we believe" or something along those lines makes me want't to delete him outright. Only the thought that the rest of the characters aren't any better prevents that,

The same applies to demons. When you see Azmodan's head reappering with each quest proclaiming each time how weak, foolish you are, gloating how he shall vanquish all that oppose him you can do nothing but facepalm. Truly, prime evils at least had the class (and mystery and charm). Those faggots we have now can just rot.

Speaking of demons, I fought with Belial today and later Azmodan's lackey. Frankly - I had tougher time with their mooks then with thos huge arse demons themselves. Yep, now bossfights started sucking hard. Go figure.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I guess asking for specific examples of some of the fanboy-level posts and explanations what's so fanboyish about them is too much to ask for.
Well you said it yourself, this is the game of Codex. And honestly I'm not invested enough as a D3 hater to go fish for specific examples, and I really don't want to derail this thread into "Black is a Bilzzard fanboy stone him!" ad hominem. And maybe if I went back and looked I'd find that in fact your posts aren't fanboyish, you're just responding more aggressively to the haters and I'm only seeing them as such because of that image of you that got stuck in my head from before I even registered. If it makes you feel better let's just say "it's weird to see Black liking a game so much and defending it so vehemently". But then maybe even that's not true, because after I registered I did notice you were much less skywayish than I remember, and I honestly enjoyed a lot of your posts and...

Oh fuck this, can we just make up and hug like all good Codexers do after a plan tickets bitch an argument?

To be fair the builds do exists in Diablo 3. The thing is every characters of the same class and on the same level has the access to all the skill, he can easily swap in character screen. However, such swap involves a cooldown, so you really can't do it mid-battle.
Yeah I know, and while I've seen the builds/nobuilds fight go over several pages, the way it seems do work is still too much like "free convenient respec". Even if you can't do it mid-combat it's still not permanent enough for my taste. Though you do make an interesting point about complementary selections when being in MP and I'll have to keep this in mind if I do get the game. (highly unlikely until it drops in price... and if it's still being played then)

This addresses one of the issues I had with D2 - how often was it the case that the build which was good and immensely fun to play on levels 15-30 sucked arse past that? Or a build which started to work only on level 40, and before that was drab and boring, and you had to slog through 12 hours to achieve desired effect?
TBH this never bothered me because I never liked playing past Nightmare anyway. That's when the game starts becoming less about having fun and more about powergaming, and there was no way in hell you'd ever catch me farming bosses or any such shit to get the right items and have enough XP for the right build or whatnot. It's why I had so much fun with D2 I think. I mean, racing past Normal and Nightmare within minutes? never did that. Never saw the point. Speedruns are things that I enjoy watching videos of, are fun to have, indicate a certain flexibility in the system if they're possible-but-not-easy, but you'd never catch me doing them.

Regarding the atmosphere - I lament that as well. Fuck it, I played Diablo 1 just before starting Diablo 3 - just to delve in terrific ambience. Diablo 3 has nothing of that. What is worse, Diablo 3 breaks the previously establised lore and characters in so many places it almost makes me throw the monitor out of the window. Adria, what they have done to youuuuu?!!
I never cared much for Diablo lore, as it was clearly there just so they could say it's there, but that they've done this AGAIN with D3 is indicative of an obession with lore rape and retcons that Blizzard has had for almost an entire decade now and that is almost on the level of what Bethesda did with Oblivion. And I don't understand it.

A bit sad knowing he's stuck in hell, though.
:lol:

I am growing bored of this game again. The combat is now reduced to hitting keys: 1 (Frost nova), 4 (Explosion), 2 (Meteor), left mouse (Arcane Ball) - rince and repeat. When I try to use something else I generally get my arse handed to me... Meh.
See, D2 had exactly the same gameplay. So did D1 for that matter. Would you say it took much longer to get bored of either, and if yes... why? I'm honestly curious about this unquantifiable factor that seems to have made you grow bored so much quicker with this one, and that makes my excitement for it so much lower than for the previous games. You should be having tons of fun and I should be rushing to the store to buy it - why aren't we?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
See, D2 had exactly the same gameplay. So did D1 for that matter. Would you say it took much longer to get bored of either, and if yes... why? I'm honestly curious about this unquantifiable factor that seems to have made you grow bored so much quicker with this one, and that makes my excitement for it so much lower than for the previous games. You should be having tons of fun and I should be rushing to the store to buy it - why aren't we?

Don't get me wrong brah - I am not here to convince you it's awesome masterpiece. In fact I bought it with very low expectations which improved as I played and now plumetted. I purchased it to see if it's really as good as all my RL friends keep telling me about so that I can bitch about it with arguments. You knew you and DraQ - who like me actually appreciated what little story there was in Diablo 1 - wouldn't fall so low... but someone had to do this. Someone has to warn the others. :rpgcodex:

There are definitely good bits in here... but the game doesn't feel to be worth $60 dollars I spent on it. It's simplistic, it's streamlined and ultimately it's empty. If it cost $20 like Torchlight 2 and didn't have the DRM, maybe I could recommend it to you

Who knows, maybe blizz will surprise me with something and I'll once again I will see it in favourable light. Now, it's just meh.

bussinrounds

Augur
Can I play any of these ARPGs with a damn gamepad and move my character around with the analog stick ? (Dark Alliance style)

I don't mind the point and click for slower paced more tactical rpgs, but for more actiony ones like these, it just seems fuckin retarded.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Can I play any of these ARPGs with a damn gamepad and move my character around with the analog stick ? (Dark Alliance style)

I don't mind the point and click for slower paced more tactical rpgs, but for more actiony ones like these, it just seems fuckin retarded.

Irony.

Stabwound

Arcane

Dungeon Siege 3 is basically a modern Dark Alliance, and it's primarily a console game so it works better with a gamepad than a mouse. I couldn't stand even playing the demo, though, so your mileage may vary.

Diablo 3 won't let you use a gamepad at all.

Black

Arcane
I guess asking for specific examples of some of the fanboy-level posts and explanations what's so fanboyish about them is too much to ask for.
Well you said it yourself, this is the game of Codex. And honestly I'm not invested enough as a D3 hater to go fish for specific examples, and I really don't want to derail this thread into "Black is a Bilzzard fanboy stone him!" ad hominem. And maybe if I went back and looked I'd find that in fact your posts aren't fanboyish, you're just responding more aggressively to the haters and I'm only seeing them as such because of that image of you that got stuck in my head from before I even registered. If it makes you feel better let's just say "it's weird to see Black liking a game so much and defending it so vehemently". But then maybe even that's not true, because after I registered I did notice you were much less skywayish than I remember, and I honestly enjoyed a lot of your posts and...

Oh fuck this, can we just make up and hug like all good Codexers do after a plan tickets bitch an argument?
I guess we can, but it's such a shame, I always enjoy Codex drama.
Let me just start a kickstarter so I can get enough gold to buy plane tickets.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If that's true then I retract my previous posts. In my defense I imagines Blizzard being at least mildly competent thanks to 7 years of running an MMO. Is there no stupidity that Blizzard won't sink to? Even the guys at Sony are laughing now.

Good thing you can still play single player though, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom