Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowbane now free

DarkSign

Erudite
Seriously guys. If you like PvP and you arent sick of fantasy...Shadowbane is AMAZING.

Having played almost every MMO ever thought of, the experience of a 50 on 40 raid or trolling over the highlands for a good fight...its hard not to put it over UO on a purely pvp level.

Levelling up can be slow, but if you get in a good guild it goes from brain-numbing to merely plain boring.

Creating cities, merchanting...i really invite you all to try it.

spacemoose

Erudite
I'm actually waiting for the Planetside fodder '365 days free' program, but that was supposed to be out in february and its still not here. :x

Is there any other place to download the client for this thing, besides fileplanet?

Human Shield

Augur
Is the city siege stuff still broken? Like it takes weeks to build a city and it is destroyed in 1 hour at 2 AM?

Do the cities have resources or anything?

Do you drop anything when you die? And isn't there teleporting?

Human Shield

Augur
It is pretty neat that the free version includes the expansions and all the races.

What server is everyone on.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The client file says "US & Canada only", is it really so? I don't want to waste time downloading useless 900 MB.

wizard

Liturgist
Elwro said:
The client file says "US & Canada only", is it really so?
Nope. Atleast I can play it with the client and I'm in Finland

Okay, anyone who played the game what should I do now that I have promoted my lvl 10 rogue shade to assasin? Just continue to kill pathetic little creatures? Or should I already go to the mainland?

AZ

Liturgist
Is there any mmo where fighting is more than click "attack button", wait, click "potion button"? Anything that requires advanced strategy and thinking?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
AZ said:
Is there any mmo where fighting is more than click "attack button", wait, click "potion button"? Anything that requires advanced strategy and thinking?

Yes, Planetside. It's soon to be free for one year too, I'm pretty pumped. PUMPED I SAY.

Avé

Liturgist
Planetside sucks, the european servers have literally 30-40 people on them at night.

Selenti

Liturgist
AZ said:

WoW PVP at level 60 is far, far more complex than that. I wouldn't say it raises above the level of "lots and lots of buttons to click, and knowing when and where to click them", but it's still pretty decent.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah wow is decent, since potion is on timer, u can't keep spamming it every time. almost every item has timers...so those who wants to pvp and invested in some different range of consumables has an edge over regular players.

AZ

Liturgist
What I would love is like ToEE - turn based, lots of moves, very strategical - only with timer. Like giving 15-20 seconds per charter each turn. Even, for example the charter's dexterity could define the time you have.

DarkSign

Erudite
Listen, the PvP in Shadowbane is COMPLEX.

a) yes there are resources Human Shield. The mines can be taken over and fought over and offer a reason for PvP that affects your guild

b) Shadowbane has a decently complex attack system with stuns, evades, multiple resistances, multiple types of damage and so forth.

c) City seiging is designed to take a long time to build and hours to bring down. Unless you've been a part of a 50 vs 50 person raid in SB, you are missing one of the best events in ANY MMO.

If you arent losing something that took work to build then whats the point? It turns into capture the fucking flag Unreal bullshit.

There is a high amount of strategy that SB takes...alliances, positioning, stealth, ... I could go on and on.

People should be playing this more than GuildWars. GuildWars might have been free, but its the same bullshit mechanics as we've had for 9000 years.

Shadowbane rocks.

Ugrok

Novice
It sounds really interesting. But i downloaded the game, and began playing it... All im doing is pressing "F3" (mage bolt) to kill spiders until lvl 5, then i go to another place and i hit "F3" (mage bolt) to kill harpies, then ...

I didnt try the PvP, but the PvE really is one of the worst gaming experience i ever made... I can't see myself do 70 lvls of that one button monster bashing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Ok, listen, no matter how bad your sobstory is with a given MMO, be it SW:G or FF11, NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO THE HORROR THAT IS ANARCHY ONLINE.

DarkSign

Erudite
Ill be the first to say that the game sucks when you're playing vs mobs. Worse than sucks. Thats why a lot of people macro in set spots and getting in a good guild where people take you to raise your character is cruuuucial.

But the PvP vs real people is where it shines. Your template of skills (everyone's is totally different) and your crew have to be honed to extreme detail...

its truly a great game, but its a shame that it takes so much to get to the good part. :(

Human Shield

Augur
AZ said:
What I would love is like ToEE - turn based, lots of moves, very strategical - only with timer. Like giving 15-20 seconds per charter each turn. Even, for example the charter's dexterity could define the time you have.

Tactica Online. Not much more then combat thou.

DarkSign said:
Listen, the PvP in Shadowbane is COMPLEX.

a) yes there are resources Human Shield. The mines can be taken over and fought over and offer a reason for PvP that affects your guild

Shadowbane rocks.

I've seen that the only resource is gold.

I don't want to grind and I don't have any guild, so what to do besides uninstall?

Human Shield

Augur
I wish city groups were actually built into the game instead of being isolated 1337 guilds that probably have public channels turned off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom