Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assload of new OB-screens + videos courtesy of the Germans

thomase

Novice
What exactly is the problem with the LOD?

sanibonani

Novice
Being a newb here, i don't fully understand the vehemence directed at this game. I do appreciate, and even share, some of the concerns about the latter day Elderscrolls games. Is the general feeling that this game does meet the criteria for a proper RPG, and so should not be discussed here, or is it just an overdose of hype? If so, further hype is certainly not my intention, but it does seem odd to me that there would not be a fair amount of excitement and speculation about a major RPG release.

I have posted my mixed feelings about Oblivion in another thread, in fact i joined this forum because the general tone seems to be more sceptical and informed, but I don't quite see why it should be construed as foolish to point out the weaknesses in the german 'review' (inherent german wickedness not withstanding).

Venom

Scholar
sanibonani said:
Being a newb here, i don't fully understand the vehemence directed at this game. I do appreciate, and even share, some of the concerns about the latter day Elderscrolls games. Is the general feeling that this game does meet the criteria for a proper RPG, and so should not be discussed here, or is it just an overdose of hype? If so, further hype is certainly not my intention, but it does seem odd to me that there would not be a fair amount of excitement and speculation about a major RPG release.

I have posted my mixed feelings about Oblivion in another thread, in fact i joined this forum because the general tone seems to be more sceptical and informed, but I don't quite see why it should be construed as foolish to point out the weaknesses in the german 'review' (inherent german wickedness not withstanding).
The Codex is separated in two camps:

Those who admit the game has alot of shortcomings as an RPG and isn't really isn't one but is going to be an amazing adventure game.

Those who think Oblivion is not a game and that people who enjoy it should be shot.

ANDS!

Novice
Those who think Oblivion is not a game and that people who enjoy it should be shot.

And thats if they like you. . .

As for the screenshots - I think its hilarious this "See/Hear/Speak No Evil" attitude going on. . .someone says the screens were taken on a low-end machine on the highest settings they could possibly play it at, and also reference the ingame videos taken on a higher-end machine - and folks STILL say "no no - the German video is what the game REALLY looks like".

That LOD is so nasty it deserves it's own name.

LOL. This "critique" especially deserves its own recognition. . .anyone who can honest to god complain about the maximum graphically ability of this game - seriously needs their head fucking checked. Criticism is one thing. Bitching for the sake of bitching is a WHOLE nother world entirely. . .

The Internets

Scholar
Venom said:
Those who admit the game has alot of shortcomings as an RPG and isn't really isn't one but is going to be an amazing adventure game.

...Or C, those who justly rag on the Hype/BS vs. Reality front, but withhold final judgment until they play it.

Look, I've got a copy ordered because if not an RPG I'm at least expecting a good action/RPG romp. But some of the stuff I've seen (piss poor LOD) and some of the stuff I've read (retarded NPC's repeating conversations over and over again), has me jaded.

Bottom line, if the games good I'll have no problem saying so, but if it sucks, well, then it sucks.

Temoid

Scholar
Graphics was touted as the coming of Christ for Oblivion, so it's fair to expect a masterpiece and bitch when its not.

Lumpy

Arcane
Temoid said:
Graphics was touted as the coming of Christ for Oblivion, so it's fair to expect a masterpiece and bitch when its not.
It was?...

The Internets

Scholar
ANDS! said:
LOL. This "critique" especially deserves its own recognition. . .anyone who can honest to god complain about the maximum graphically ability of this game - seriously needs their head fucking checked. Criticism is one thing. Bitching for the sake of bitching is a WHOLE nother world entirely. . .

LOL. What?

1. So the LOD model doesn't look terrible? I stand corrected.

2. Please stop bitching about bitching about nothing.

Irwanday01

Novice
what I find interesting is:

people that think Oblivion will be awesome based on the pics they have seen from Bethesda's marketing machine are niave.

but people that think oblivion will suck based on pics they got from germans are smart.

both "camps" are doing the exact same thing. Judging from what they have seen in pics, yet the only difference is what pic you believe. I suppose this is all moot since the game will be out in soon, but it is quiet interseting.

and please don't give me the argument that the german pics are more reliable then Bethesda's, because we don't know anything about the germans' machine. Also those pics could have been done by the german verison of the Codex.

Data4

Arcane
Irwanday01 said:
what I find interesting is:

people that think Oblivion will be awesome based on the pics they have seen from Bethesda's marketing machine are niave.

but people that think oblivion will suck based on pics they got from germans are smart.

both "camps" are doing the exact same thing. Judging from what they have seen in pics, yet the only difference is what pic you believe. I suppose this is all moot since the game will be out in soon, but it is quiet interseting.

and please don't give me the argument that the german pics are more reliable then Bethesda's, because we don't know anything about the germans' machine. Also those pics could have been done by the german verison of the Codex.

Just for the sake of argument, do you think the Germans would have anything to gain or lose by what they show? Bethesda does. Now, I'm not in either "camp". By the time I do get Oblivion, I'll be running almost as high end as possible for a desktop system (FX-60 dual core, bitches!), so I'm not worried. Still, it should be pointed out that Bethesda has embellished screenshots before, and that's only done if the stock screenshot leaves something to be desired.

-D4

Twinfalls

Erudite
Venom said:

No-one (who doesn't need help) thinks this is going to be an 'amazing' anything. It will be an enjoyable hack/exploration game. It will probably be impressive in many aspects (game world size, quantity of NPCs). As an exploration game it will, however, be lacking in other areas (poor, unoptimised engine, unfinished character models, shithouse physics which are over-used, overall dumbassed FPS trappings). As an RPG it will be lacking in so many serious ways it's not even worth considering.

ESF-ites like you need to somehow be de-programmed from the brainwashing that causes you to automatically use words of extreme hype like 'amazing'.

Perhaps the Codex should operate some kind of half-way house for those of Bethesda's poor little flock who manage to escape, to be rehabilitated before returning to the real world.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Actually, we know a lot about the german machine they used for the screenshot. We know even mor from the germans :) - and this is what it is:

The system used to take the screenshots is an Athlon 2200+ with 1 GB RAM and a 9800 GPU They tested how Oblivion will look on a below average system. They siad they managed to get good framerates at 1024x768 with recommended settings, and had it slow with everything maxed out for their system (which is, by no way, maxed out for someone with a better GPU). They also say a lot of the stutter you see in the videos comes from FRAPS, which they ran on top of Oblivion to take the video. So, basically what they told us is that you can run Oblivion at minimum specs - and what you can expect graphics wise.

A second german magazine tested which machine you will need to run the game with everything maxed out: 3800+, 1GB and a 7800 GFX. This system will give you the performance to run Oblivion in its full beauty.

Desslock runs the game with a dual core 4400+, a 1900XTX and 2 GB RAM and says that he gets full 60fps 99% of all times, with 30fps lowest in very few spots.

I think you can stop being worried then. It's quite simple. Don't expect to see Oblivion in its full glory with a mediocre system. You don'T see F.E.A.R or HL2 maxed out with such a system, either :)

Twinfalls

Erudite
And what's Oblivion 'in it's full glory', Rendelius? Are you saying those ridiculous expanses of texture-free blob that look like something from an early Nintendo 64 game will somehow disappear? For we know the Xbox version will 'feature' those rather prominently.....

Lumpy

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Venom said:

No-one (who doesn't need help) thinks this is going to be an 'amazing' anything. It will be an enjoyable hack/exploration game. It will probably be impressive in many aspects (game world size, quantity of NPCs). As an exploration game it will, however, be lacking in other areas (poor, unoptimised engine, unfinished character models, shithouse physics which are over-used, overall dumbassed FPS trappings). As an RPG it will be lacking in so many serious ways it's not even worth considering.

ESF-ites like you need to somehow be de-programmed from the brainwashing that causes you to automatically use words of extreme hype like 'amazing'.

Perhaps the Codex should operate some kind of half-way house for those of Bethesda's poor little flock who manage to escape, to be rehabilitated before returning to the real world.
Any game that sells this good is amazing. For the people who buy it at least.
And, before you mention it, yes, Hitler was amazing for the Nazis.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
Venom said:

How could it? RPGCodex has become the home of the Tourette-plagued when it comes to Oblivion. Only a few try to disuss with reason, most use these threads to try new combinations of dirty words.

It's fun to watch, but on the other hand its pretty sad to see what happens to this site.

Just my 2c, and now you can start throwing dirt again.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
And what's Oblivion 'in it's full glory', Rendelius? Are you saying those ridiculous expanses of texture-free blob that look like something from an early Nintendo 64 game will somehow disappear? For we know the Xbox version will 'feature' those rather prominently.....

What are you asking for? There ARE limitations to what a computer can handle today. For me, "full glory" means everything maxed - and this will be beautiful, if you trust the videos. I don't ask for more. I ask for immersive graphics (can't say anything about gameplay yet, I am expecting my review copy for today), not for photorealism.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I think graphicwise the game is pretty decent when it comes to scalability.What it comes down to me, sadly as far as potential purchase is concerned, would be based on some reviews on trusted web game portals as well as guaging the reaction over here.

I can already see some game mechanics that could be addressed in either official or fan mod patches or even in inevitable series of expansion packs...sigh. And everyone has different standards on what game they would have hoped to see in Oblivion. I will take anything with above average production values short of plunging into the consoles.

Twinfalls

Erudite
So 'not having big-assed texture-free zones' = 'photorealism'. Why does every Beth-defender and Codex Critic always argue in false-dichotomy absolutes?

Rendelius

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
So 'not having big-assed texture-free zones' = 'photorealism'. Why does every Beth-defender and Codex Critic always argue in false-dichotomy absolutes?

lol - ask yourself *chuckles*

You are doing the "argumentative dance of the uneducated" - YOU pick something I wasn't talking about and ask me how I consider this to "full glory". If you are able to read, then you may find out that "full glory", as I used it, means "everything maxed":

Rendelius :"Don't expect to see Oblivion in its full glory with a mediocre system. You don'T see F.E.A.R or HL2 maxed out with such a system, either".

Lame try, sweetheart.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Let's not try to get too fresh, Rendelius. Stick to 'Using your Fantasy', mmkay?

Why don't you apply your argument, but go back a little further. The main, overwhelming, in-your-face criticism of the graphics from the German screenshots, is the texture-free zones.

You come in and say 'the game will look much better than the German screenshots, on a great PC'.

I point out that the texture-free zones are there FOR EVERY COMPUTER KNOWN TO MAN.

You somehow respond with 'but I wasn't talking about that....'? Talk about dancing - You've invented quite a stylish new set of moves - the Rendelius Passive-Aggressive Straw Man Twist. You must really burn up the local floors with that one!

dongle

Scholar
Twinfalls said:
What, prop their little eyeballs open with toothpicks and make them watch tubgirl videos for a week?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom