Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Marsal

Arcane
I thought it was the lack of evidence of turn based mechanism on screenshots that troubles him. No the game does not look like shit, or maybe you think all the ultimas game looks like shit too.
Sample of latest top down ultimas:
1st is decent. 2nd is fine. 3rd is absolutely horrible. Notice the lack of bloom, oversized pauldrons and similar WoW-like paraphernalia. The point is that everyone would be shitting on art style and graphics, were it not for turn-based combat.

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, recent iterations of UO look pretty damn good. What a shame, thinking about the mainline Ultima games we could have had in that style if U9 didn't fuck it to pieces.

And yes, Divinity: Original Sin looks awful. It looks like Dungeon Siege 1/2, but with bloom cranked to 100%.

Machocruz

Arcane
What happened to the tasteful and sensible art style from Divine Divinity? Divinity 2 was part sort of tasteful/part the worst excesses of hack fantasy art. Now this looks like another game from the Generic Modern Top Down Fantasy Game Generator.

Sacculina

Educated
I don't care that much about how the game looks, and all of this--

Enemies are not automatically leveled to your level

The other thing that was immediately clear from the start is that the game has an isometric 3D view.

As far as quests go, there will not be any fetch quests in Original Sin.

Like in the first Divinity anything that is not nailed to the ground can be used. Again, you can carry around anything that is not too heavy like a bed or a barrel (as useless as that might be, but if it makes you happy, you can). And you can also throw a barrel at an opponent, use a broom as a weapon to hit someone with, or break a crate because it is blocking your way.

However, there are two characters - one of them can lure the owner out of a room and the other one can then freely browse through the available stuff and take what is needed.

Combat is turn-based and takes action points.

Original Sin can be modded. The same toolset as is used by the developers will be delivered as part of the game. Also, all the objects, tile sets and characters in the game will be delivered together with the toolset. There is no programming skill required to use the engine as they have made things very simple to use.
--is pretty incline. An AAA turn-based RPG in this day and age with a toolset available at release. Fuck, I honestly didn't think it possible.
:yeah:

AV2MH.jpg

I like how the bunny seems to be utterly transfixed by her privates.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What a surprise, previews strike all the possible right tunes, faggots bitch about dungeon siege graphics.

what is this i dont even

Bahamut

Arcane
A preview i saw said this game is produced with co-op in mind, and a dual dialog system is present, both main characters can influence each other

1027819015.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Party size should've been larger than just 2 people. I never saw the value in turn based combat if the party size is small, as in 1 or 2 people.

catfood

AGAIN
Party size should've been larger than just 2 people. I never saw the value in turn based combat if the party size is small, as in 1 or 2 people.
Here's one thing that the Watchwitz article didn't make ver clear
Yes, Original Sin can be played in multiplayer mode - it features two playable characters that can be controlled by two different players. In this cooperative multiplayer mode, a maximum of 4 players can play, but there are only two lead characters - two more players can play using mercenaries that are be hired in the game. However, the game can also be played single-player, where the player controls the whole party.
So you can recruit 2 additional mercs in sigleplayer as well?

EDIT: already beaten

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's one thing that the Watchwitz article didn't make ver clear
Yes, Original Sin can be played in multiplayer mode - it features two playable characters that can be controlled by two different players. In this cooperative multiplayer mode, a maximum of 4 players can play, but there are only two lead characters - two more players can play using mercenaries that are be hired in the game. However, the game can also be played single-player, where the player controls the whole party.
So you can recruit 2 additional mercs in sigleplayer as well?

EDIT: already beaten

11272.jpg

Shannow

Waster of Time
What a surprise, previews strike all the possible right tunes, faggots bitch about dungeon siege graphics.

what is this i dont even
Well, if you don't want your game to be criticized for ugly, bloomy cartoon graphics, don't use ugly, bloomy cartoon graphics...:roll:
You might also have noticed that few commenters here were even bothered by the graphics, and most who are bothered by them also mention that the rest of the game sounds good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know guys, it's not too late to change the graphics. The game isn't out yet.

Themadcow

Augur
I quite like the graphics, but then again I also liked the graphics in WoW. These kind of visuals dont date as quickly as the more realistic models and textures, and probably work better on lower spec machines. I'd stop short of 'Torchlight' style graphics but these ones look fine.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Say what you want about the graphics, but that preview makes it look like fucking :incline:

Eagerly awaiting it :bounce:

DraQ

Arcane
Graphics and, more importantly, art direction is shit, I only hope the game won't be a flop. A new TB RPG would be of great help these days and I plain like Larian and wish them success.

Whether I will buy it personally depends on quite a few factors. I'll almost certainly buy DC.

Machocruz

Arcane
Hey, any chance to praise Divine Divinity, I'll take, even at the expense of Larian's other works. Take one for the team, Larian.

Do people who like this "toy factory on acid" design (bloom's a nice touch, as well) prefer TB games? What's Larian's logic there? "Killing two birds with one stone" might as well be actual "killing" in a combination like this.

Phelot

Arcane
Don't particularly like the art style, but...

nouveau-divinity-pc-1338210648-005.jpg

The ability to pick up crap like cups and buckets?! OH GAWD ITZ OCD HEAVANZ

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something that nobody else has commented on - there appears to be no voice acting.

Phelot

Arcane
The ability to pick up crap like cups and buckets?! OH GAWD ITZ OCD HEAVANZ

I survived Morrowind. I will survive this.

Hey, I meant it as a good thing!

Something that nobody else has commented on - there appears to be NO VOICE ACTING. :incline:

That is good. Larian makes some really fun and entertaining dialogue, even when voiced, but I love me some dialogue boxes. Hopefully it will have descriptions and narratives as well. :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom