Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gamestar.ru Chris Avellone Interview

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Chris Avellone; Kickstarter; Obsidian Entertainment; Wasteland 2

A new interview with Chris Avellone has appeared, courtesy of Gamestar.ru, in which the God Emperor discusses the Kickstarter phenomenon, RPG design, the minutiae of the development process, and other things. Let me quote some bits for you:

If it’s not a secret, what is the main expenditure item while developing of the role-playing game?

If by expenditure item you mean resources, I'd say marketing, and from at least one of our most recent RPGs, the marketing outstripped the cost of developing the project several times over.

What biggest failure in RPG genre could you recollect?

Lack of balance is the great destroyer, and while it's been in a number of recent titles, it's not a recent development. Lack of combat balance and any need for tactics - so much so that the combats are so easy that you don't have to do much to win or vary your combat style - is pretty crippling. One RPG in the past I've never played because I'm aware there's one low-level spell that makes the critical choice with your character progression in the game meaningless because that spell is overpowered.

Also, I feel combat mechanics are neglected in a lot of current titles except Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. KoA's combat felt very fluid and it felt like they'd put a lot of care and attention into its mechanics.

How much time does take from the moment of the first idea till the story outline writing? When do the game-designers start their work, how is further cooperation of the group built with the material written? On which stage is the ready scenario with dialogues and scenes enriched?

The publisher pitches we do require that we have a story outline (at least a page or two) when we submit the pitch. That can take 1-2 weeks, and then we build from there. Over the next 3-4 months the Creative Lead helps flesh out the areas, major NPCs, companions, etc., vets it with the other Leads, and then when the game enters full production (usually after vertical slice), the narrative tasks are divided up or, for a smaller title, the Creative Lead does all the major scripting for the title.

Have you got congenial developers who have the same idea and point of view on game industry? If you had a possibility of joint game project who of your colleagues could become a perfect co-author?

I've worked with a number of great developers. Some I currently work with and others I'd work with again: Dan Spitzley and Brian Menze (we've been together since Torment), Tim Donley (lead artist on Torment), George Ziets, Anthony Davis, Tony Evans, Travis Stout, Colin McComb, and Tim Cain. I'd work with Ken Levine in a heartbeat, but he's already got all his story stuff handled, so he wouldn't need me. I like David Gaider a lot and I think he's pretty sharp, I'd work with him. And Mary DeMarle. And Richard Dansky. As for Brian Fargo, I'm already working with him again on Wasteland 2. : )​

Be sure to read the interview in full here.

Spotted at Gamebanshee

Zak

Educated
MCA said:
Tags: One RPG in the past I've never played because I'm aware there's one low-level spell that makes the critical choice with your character progression in the game meaningless because that spell is overpowered.

So that's why he's never played Arcanum :(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I like David Gaider a lot and I think he's pretty sharp, I'd work with him.

trlmnrev2.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
One RPG in the past I've never played because I'm aware there's one low-level spell that makes the critical choice with your character progression in the game meaningless because that spell is overpowered.
Also, I feel combat mechanics are neglected in a lot of current titles except Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. KoA's combat felt very fluid and it felt like they'd put a lot of care and attention into its mechanics.
MCA bashes Arcanum and praises KOA? What is this, I don't even....

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Lack of balance is the great destroyer, and while it's been in a number of recent titles, it's not a recent development. Lack of combat balance and any need for tactics - so much so that the combats are so easy that you don't have to do much to win or vary your combat style - is pretty crippling.
Good description of how it usually is in Obsidian games.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
MCA said:
Tags: One RPG in the past I've never played because I'm aware there's one low-level spell that makes the critical choice with your character progression in the game meaningless because that spell is overpowered.

There's no mods to fix that?

4too

Arcane
Spoiler Alert

Crooked Bee said:

Be sure to read the interview in full here. …

Read it there or read it ...
At Game star RU Chris Avellone said:

When doing titles at Obsidian, we purposely try and create emotional moments - not just misfortune, but emotional ups and downs. We call them "emotional vistas"... emotional narrative moments that leave a lasting impact on you as a player. They end up being events you remember, not because of the violence or volume, but because of the insight and something occurring within the game itself that changes your perception of events. Our goal is simple scenes and realizations for the player’s experience that have the same punch as Rutger Hauer’s/Roy Batty's lines at the end of Blade Runner, where he sums up the misery of the human condition in a few simple sentences. That’s what we strive for from our characters and the player.

"emotional vista"

"emotional vista"

Arcanum? 'Happy Accident" my lust for RPG life was for a steam punk gunslinger with a big posse ….

4too

Stinger

Arcane
But harm is.

I dunno harm's not that OP. It's useful and the cost isn't too high, but the damage output per turn isn't that high so if you're playing it in turnbased then it's not a great spell. It only starts to feel imba in the late game when you start getting overwhelmed with shitloads of trash mobs and then you just switch to real time and spam it nonstop but in turn based mode it really isn't powerful enough to be imba, just practical and reliable.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
But harm is.

I dunno harm's not that OP. It's useful and the cost isn't too high, but the damage output per turn isn't that high so if you're playing it in turnbased then it's not a great spell. It only starts to feel imba in the late game when you start getting overwhelmed with shitloads of trash mobs and then you just switch to real time and spam it nonstop but in turn based mode it really isn't powerful enough to be imba, just practical and reliable.

Nerf Rock. Paper's fine.

-Scissors.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
MCA said:
Lack of combat balance and any need for tactics - so much so that the combats are so easy that you don't have to do much to win or vary your combat style - is pretty crippling.

So you mean just like in Fallout? :troll:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Lack of balance is the great destroyer, and while it's been in a number of recent titles, it's not a recent development. Lack of combat balance and any need for tactics - so much so that the combats are so easy that you don't have to do much to win or vary your combat style - is pretty crippling. One RPG in the past I've never played because I'm aware there's one low-level spell that makes the critical choice with your character progression in the game meaningless because that spell is overpowered.

:roll: Maybe he should LARP a character who doesn't use useful skills, just like he LARPs in Wasteland characters who use useless skills.
Also, LAWL, Obsidian developer talking about lack of tactics and easy combat.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also, LAWL, Obsidian developer talking about lack of tactics and easy combat.
That argument is just as invalid as the "don't criticise a movie because you couldn't make a better movie yourself".

It's not an argument it's sarcasm and even if it was, it's not the same. I didn't say he can't criticize, I think it's funny that he's also a game developer who does the same shit he criticizes.To be the same as your "invalid" argument, it would have to be about someone who doesn't even work in the same field as what he's criticizing. For example: me criticizing a movie. There can't be anything sarcastic said about that because I don't make movies, and only "LOL CAN U DO BETTER???" fags would claim I don't have the right to criticize.

Get it, 'tard?

Now go back to your "valid" arguments about consoles being more powerful than PCs.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
But harm is.

There is no other spell like it. I mean I basically relied on that, and stun to keep my mage guy fully pumped on other stats. Which is pretty sad when u consider the air / earth sch doesn't have anything that great despite costing more mana. It's broken. No doubt about it.

Johannes

Arcane
Harm isn't really imbalanced, if compared to good melee or throwing or to other good spells... It's really easy to make an all-powerful PC. Just that the actual interesting options are much worse.

What is a breeze though, to use the helmet that increases magic affinity and evilness, repeatedly and then have harm do full dmg straight at the Shrouded Hills gypsy seller.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom