Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Sul

Savant
Actually it's trivial. PC version might look like this:
Left hand movement.
Q + movement select items. (thought it might be done more in PC friendly way)
mouse 1. R1
mouse 2. R2
mouse 3. (or F) target lock (R3)
SHIFT. circle
space L1
mouse 4 (or an unused key near Z) L2

Congratulations! You have created a keybinding in which you cannot run. Unless you're lumping that in with 'movement' on the e key or something, in which case, good luck hitting 3-4 keys at once with one hand every time you want to run and jump or use your shield (assuming it doesn't simply ghost every time you want to run on a diagonal). I'm also pretty sure having the dodge key mapped to shift (my pinky finger) would destroy my hand in about 5 minutes.
The mouse wheel proved to be extremely effective for controlling character speed in Splinter Cell games.

praetor

Arcane
Left hand movement.
mouse 1. R1
mouse 2. R2
SHIFT. circle
space L1

Congratulations! You have created a keybinding in which you cannot run. Unless you're lumping that in with 'movement' on the e key or something, in which case, good luck hitting 3-4 keys at once with one hand every time you want to run and jump or use your shield (assuming it doesn't simply ghost every time you want to run on a diagonal). I'm also pretty sure having the dodge key mapped to shift (my pinky finger) would destroy my hand in about 5 minutes.
The mouse wheel proved to be extremely effective for controlling character speed in Splinter Cell games.

then how would you switch locked-on targets? i though the best way to handle it would've been to put lock on or mouse 3 like in Raghar's proposal and have the mousewheel for switching targets

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That sounds interesting. I assume it works like a throttle? Not sure how hard that would be to work in as an afterthought though.

The way I see it, the control scheme has to put at least one, preferably 2 of the following on the mouse, because having them all under one hand is too much when you need to use them in combinations:

Movement (obviously not going to happen, and counts as 2 keys considering diagonal movement)
Running
Dodging
Blocking (this one isn't totally necessary, technically you can't dodge and block at the exact same time anyways, but you often want to dodge or block the split second the other is finished. And you can block while running, though that generally isn't terribly useful.)

Putting running on mouse 3 makes the most sense. Although then you're kinda fucked for trying to use running attacks.

Lockons aren't that important. You pretty much never want to be locked on to anything but the nearest enemy you're facing, and unlocking + relocking can do that just fine. And honestly you're probably better off not locked on most of the time with superior camera control afforded by the mouse.

Sul

Savant
Left hand movement.
mouse 1. R1
mouse 2. R2
SHIFT. circle
space L1

then how would you switch locked-on targets? i though the best way to handle it would've been to put lock on or mouse 3 like in Raghar's proposal and have the mousewheel for switching targets
Wait! Turning the mouse wheel and pressing it count as the same key? If yes you can always change the target selection for the tab key + relative mouse position.

praetor

Arcane
Left hand movement.
mouse 1. R1
mouse 2. R2
SHIFT. circle
space L1

Wait! Turning the mouse wheel and pressing it count as the same key?

nope. 2 different events. i just thought it would be the most logical/sensible/intuitive thing to put switching locked on targets on the button that locks on. although DR does raise a fair point in that the superior mouse look would likely lessen the need of lock-on. still, without lock-on you can't (circle-)strafe and perform some manoeuvres (for example the insta-run-R1 attack)

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
The control scheme in DS has a flaw cool characteristic anyway. You can't control the camera and hit the right-hand buttons with your thumb at the same time, which forces you to use your index for the latter, but then you're locked out of the R1/R2 unless you use your middle and/or ring finger, which wouldn't be so hard if you could only settle the controller down on a hard surface so it would stop wavering whenever you push something but you can't because that goddamn analog R2 always activates at the wrong time when you do.

I started to get hideous hand-to-claw pains in PvP because of this.

Well it could be worse you know,i remember playing monster hunter same way but in mh you didn't had a auto aim so you had to use your index to keep the boss on your sights and if you were a gunner you had to aim as well.

That was really hard and battles were generally long(avg 20 min) and you could get one-shot killed easily after mid game,dark souls is cakewalk compared to that.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Interesting. Potato site called CD-Action is saying, that Namco ditched Games for Windows LIVE and Dark Souls will be integrated only with Steam.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Bad example is bad. Flight simulators are meant to be played with a joystick/hotas, whereas every first or third person perspective game is naturally much better played with a kb+mouse combo (even when devs dumb the controls down specifically for gamepads, Dead Space 1 comes to mind)

I own a 360 gamepad but the experience in FPS/TPS games is puke inducing. I use it only for MAME and NES/SNES emulators.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The right analogy would be if a dev forced you to play his sim with the keyboard instead of a joystick.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Basically this:

Steam gets Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition. That's the original Dark Souls and the bonus PC content.

Xbox 360 / PS3 get Artorias DLC, which is the additional bonus PC content. It will cost 10 British pounds or 15$.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Locking on targets?? I hope in the PC version this is not mandatory since you don't need this shit if using a mouse.

joeydohn

Savant
Locking on targets?? I hope in the PC version this is not mandatory since you don't need this shit if using a mouse.

I don't think it's mandatory in the console version i.e. you can still attack with out locking on.

praetor

Arcane
from rpgfan

Performance-wise, the game ran smoothly in the demo footage. While the game will not offer high resolution textures, it will offer a full range of scalable settings exclusive to the PC version. Additionally, I was flat-out promised that Blighttown will run as smoothly as the rest of the game.

here's footage of that guardian boss thing

and here you have a recorded bamco livestream, skip to ~9mins for an interview with the producer (nothing really interesting except a new item that will allow in-game voice communication. donotwant) and to ~36 for more guardian boss footage (including a cutting of the tail) and some bits of info, including: NA gets only the digital download version, EU gets retail boxed + dd (if i understood the dood correctly)

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-dark-souls-to-pc-frame-rate-issues-remain
Dark Souls developer From Software is having a torrid time getting its beloved action RPG up and running on PC and has confirmed it isn't including any optimisations for desktop gamers.

Producer Daisuke Uchiyama told Eurogamer that it had underestimated how tough it would be to port the game across.

"To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now.

"In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now."

Uchiyama went on to confirm that it hasn't fixed the frame rate problems that had hobbled certain parts of the game on consoles.

"In terms of the frame rate for say, Blighttown, From Software sincerely apologises for that happening [in the console version]," he said.

"In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.

"However, in exchange for that, we have prioritised adding new content for both original players and new players."

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition launches for PC on 31st August, with the new content the landing on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as DLC towards the end of the year.
:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom