Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News South Park: The Stick of Truth Official Trailer Released, Release Date Announced

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It may also be wise to acknowledge that codexers are by and large neither normal or adult.

I'd disagree. Considering the time when classic RPGs were most popular, I'd guess the average Codexer age is over 20 years old and closer to 30.

I could be wrong of course.

You wouldn't think that reading the 'quality' of many of the posts here...

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Anyone, of any age, can be a dumbass. That's the horrible truth about beauty of the internet.

Shervin

Educated
I was playing costume quest recently and found that casual JRPG style turn based combat can be really fun.

So I think for entertainment purpose, it's OK to count on Stick of Truth.

But Obsidian better make something serious after this.
:rpgcodex:

Duraframe300

Arcane
South Park is shit. Take 5 episodes and you're lucky if 2 are funny. Unless this game is loaded with content and replayability I can't see it holding it's own.

South Park Movie, Team America, Book of Mormon

All three of those are very reasonably funny. And all three of those were projects Matt and Trey worked on longer than a week.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
On a completely unrelated note, I find that the awful saturation of the troll smilies, lately, is ruining the image of the Prestigious Magazine by the cheapening of its avatar and incarnation,
the Codex Troll, esq.

Marsal

Arcane
On a completely unrelated note, I find that the awful saturation of the troll smilies, lately, is ruining the image of the Prestigious Magazine by the cheapening of its avatar and incarnation,
the Codex Troll, esq.
9zclG.gif

How do you feel about morons spamming gifs all over the place?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The South Park game is probably going to be mediocre as fuck, but I don't think it's gonna reach the heights of banality Dead Space has achieved.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
30k likes for South Park Game on Southpark in just 14 hours. Behold, the future of Obsidian.

Duraframe300

Arcane
30k likes for South Park Game on Southpark in just 14 hours. Behold, the future of Obsidian.
Yes, would have been better if they were developing yet another action game or shooter. Like DSIII, Alpha Protocol and F:NV. You know, THEIR LAST THREE GAMES.

:hmmm:

I still don't get the antagonism towards this game. At all.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
the Codex Troll, esq.
9zclG.gif

Bad, also. While a gif might express a feeling, at a given time, much better than a thousand words, it is no substitute for human speech - and the reasoning that lies behind it.
Cheapening language and communication, in time, deteriorates the once articulated thought process behind speech (aka "thinking something through and speaking").

I enjoy memes and "canned humour" as much as the next guy, but if it clogs all communication lanes, I'm sickened. That's why seeing a "trololo" or "fuck yeah" t-shirt on
a market stand somewhere makes me puke. "trololo" & co are funny in a specific context, not by themselves.

Marsal

Arcane
the Codex Troll, esq.
9zclG.gif

Bad, also. While a gif might express a feeling, at a given time, much better than a thousand words, it is no substitute for human speech - and the reasoning that lies behind it.
Cheapening language and communication, in time, deteriorates the once articulated thought process behind speech (aka "thinking something through and speaking").

I enjoy memes and "canned humour" as much as the next guy, but if it clogs all communication lanes, I'm sickened. That's why seeing a "trololo" or "fuck yeah" t-shirt on
a market stand somewhere makes me puke. "trololo" & co are funny in a specific context, not by themselves.

hROSa.gif

So, would you say it's better not to post, than to post something trivial like a smiley, image macro, animated gif or similar banalities?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yes, would have been better if they were developing yet another action game or shooter. Like DSIII, Alpha Protocol and F:NV. You know, THEIR LAST THREE GAMES.

:hmmm:

I still don't get the antagonism towards this game. At all.
Who's being antagonistic?

:troll:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
the Codex Troll, esq.
9zclG.gif

:bravo:

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
the Codex Troll, esq.
9zclG.gif

:bravo:

See, that would be an example. I don't know if you're agreeing with me or trolling me, by responding to posts about gifs with the extensive use of gifs - but that is actually an appropriate case.
The "applauding citizen Kane" gif has become synonymous with strong approval, as expressed by Orson Welles' face and strong clapping gesture.
Therefore it is a very effective and appropriate response to a post you agree with, sparing you the trouble to type "yes, I agree" in an excessively verbose manner.

...but here's the catch: 90% of the other gifs, if you'll pardon my French, suck donkey bollocks.
They are generic and can't be equated with anything. The face of the bald man, for example: what the hell is he expressing? A stupefied confusion? approval? Attention? I can't tell.
Saturation leads to the inevitable decay of quality, reaffirming the truth of Sturgeon's law, which, while simplistically phrased, turns out to be true in pretty much every case.

By the way, irony and meta get so many layers, when talking about gifs and memes, that they can lose relevance.
Funny how the Citizen Kane gif expresses strong approval, while in the movie, if I recall correctly, he was applauding his wife's awful performance very strongly to elicit a response in the rest of the audience.

But I digress.

:cool:

Repressed Homosexual
It will probably be very safe and relatively good, but won't reach big heights. They said their model was Mario RPG after all, so I expect something decent but unmemorable, save for the art style.

As far as the license goes, I do think that South Park is horrendous as well. Shock value and nastiness gets old very fast, and the constant agenda pushing of the later seasons as well.

Marsal

Arcane
See, that would be an example. I don't know if you're agreeing with me or trolling me, by responding to posts about gifs with the extensive use of gifs - but that is actually an appropriate case.
The "applauding citizen Kane" gif has become synonymous with strong approval, as expressed by Orson Welles' face and strong clapping gesture.
Therefore it is a very effective and appropriate response to a post you agree with, sparing you the trouble to type "yes, I agree" in an excessively verbose manner.

...but here's the catch: 90% of the other gifs, if you'll pardon my French, suck donkey bollocks.
They are generic and can't be equated with anything. The face of the bald man, for example: what the hell is he expressing? A stupefied confusion? approval? Attention? I can't tell.
Saturation leads to the inevitable decay of quality, reaffirming the truth of Sturgeon's law, which, while simplistically phrased, turns out to be true in pretty much every case.

By the way, irony and meta get so many layers, when talking about gifs and memes, that they can lose relevance.
Funny how the Citizen Kane gif expresses strong approval, while in the movie, if I recall correctly, he was applauding his wife's awful performance very strongly to elicit a response in the rest of the audience.

But I digress.

:cool:
Oiomv.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
As far as the license goes, I do think that South Park is horrendous as well. Shock value and nastiness gets old very fast, and the constant agenda pushing of the later seasons as well.

If it makes money, I really hope Obisidan gets to do an Avatar cRPG. It is the only Viacom property I can think of that I would not hesitate to say would make a good cRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom