Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress The adventures of Asshat the Warrior. Let's play Swords and Serpents for the NES!

Hello, codex. I remember my dad having this dungeon blobber for the NES when I was a kid. I never beat it back then. I remember it being really frustrating and such, but most of all it's just really, really weird. Memories of strange messages in all-caps with lots of exclamation marks, creepy animated portraits and a nonsensical plot surround this game. I'm going to try to beat it now. Being older than 7, it should probably be much easier, though I suspect it will be quite a strange ordeal. So, without further delay, lets play:
Kwvgf.jpg

So, we start up the game. It starts by asking us if we want to load an old game or start a new game. I choose to start a new game. The following happens:
DE3cC.png

Yeah, this game is one of those few NES games that supports 4 players. You know, in case you want to play a turn based blobber with your friends. I have never tested this, but I'm sort of assuming that each player would control one character. I, however, ignore the multiplayer and choose one player. I'm prompted by another question.
onxV0.png

I create my own party. Character creation is pretty basic, as you can see.
LA0ZH.png

I roll up my valiant character Asshat and make him a warrior. I aimed to get very high stats with all the characters, you actually don't need stats this high (14 is the highest you can roll for any stat), but since it takes below a minute to get really good rolls, why the hell not? I then proceed to roll up Asshat's friends: Sissy the thief, Faggot the magician and Moron the magician.
SV9dt.png

K5UwK.png

J9PBC.png

CyZdK.png

TYGAl.png

eLXff.png

S9fCj.png

oGufz.png

Now, we can start the epic adventure of Asshat the Warrior and his friends (might as well name them whatever, larping is wasted on this game). We enter a nauseatingly blue dungeon (yeah, automap is kind of nextgen).
27GcN.png

Before long we are greeted by a creepy guy with something to say.
tq6b8.png

Okay. Guess we better find adventure then. We are then greeted by a much uglier fellow.
CWmdz.png

It's our first battle! We have just a few battle options to choose from. Pressing A attacks. pressing B casts spells (assuming it's a magician's turn) and pressing Select gives you the option to run. Turn order is determined by your stats. I believe it works something like this (although I'm not completely sure):

At the end of each turn you roll who gets to go next, applying a bonus based on the commulative effects of Intelligence and Agility. Even if it doesn't work exactly like this I know that having high Int and Agi lets you have more turns, and the result is often like this battle, where the poor zombie doesn't even get to act once before it's dead. No resistance at all from this fight.
6AFbx.png

Zu7RU.png

Another cryptic message! I guess we've found adventure.
2kGIq.png

And then we meet the creepy old man again.
cjTtR.png

Okay, so now I guess we know what the goal of the game is. Kill dragon, get ruby treasure. Got it.

We continue. Now we run into bats. This time there's two enemies, meaning they might actually get to act before we kill them.
32uP9.png

We decide to see what spells we've got.
SmmHz.png

We decide to try out Flash Fire. It's not very good.
vJnTU.png

We do, however make short work of the bats. We are still unhurt at the end of the battle.

At this point I decide to get my bearings and take a look at the characters, so I press Select.
Io8OV.png

Pressing "entire group" shows what level you are on, how much experience you have and how much gold you have. I, however press "one character".
3QKZo.png

I start by selecting "attributes", and quickly gander through the characters.
beInD.png

nbpzc.png

03Bfm.png

0qenz.png

Afterwards, i look through the inventories. For purposes of reference, Moron carries the same items as Faggot.
w76js.png

GoLgZ.png

kAXSL.png

If I press the strange option, "last resort", this is what happens next.
lGUWu.png

I don't remember what picking "yes" does, but I'm not going to find out right now.

We continue. We face some more enemies and take our first hits. It seems saving our mana for heal spells is a valid strategy. It becomes apparent that some of these can hit quite hard.
BkqMI.png

bxz7W.png

zHqQe.png

Upon further exploring, we find the armory. You can buy stuff here, but I decide to hold that off for now. Since I've played this before, I remember that the best bet to get started is to find the temple on level one, so that you have somewhere you can heal and regain your spell points.
5IVuM.png

We explore some more, and find another door.
bVAMc.png

dUlvF.png

Holy shit! Creepy old man with red eyes!

We keep exploring, however. We fight some more and find another door.
lUHcI.png

dsYSb.png

3JUSH.png

What's behind here, then?
wcqVq.png

Another message! This one with a period though, and not an exclamation mark.

We keep exploring. We fight some battles. We gain a level. However, now is the point where we start taking serious damage. We face several encounters of 3 bats, and those encounters can actually hurt.
bJGmf.png

f5IpX.png

QX7HU.png

However, we meet the creepy old man again.
wICc6.png

It seems we're close to the temple, or at least going in the right direction. Only thing to do is push on. What do you know. We even gain a level in the process, and find some worthless loot. It does, however, become apparent that the encounters with all these bandits and bats are starting to drain our spell points from all the heals we have to cast in order to keep our characters alive. It would be good if we found the temple quickly.
EWoFJ.png

env1X.png

7XRR6.png

aiupM.png

However, we finally stumble upon a door.
xSBnI.png

And it seems to be the temple. We now have a way to restore our spell points and heal ourselves.
2GZ1d.png

We decide to start moving back to the armory to better equip ourselves to be able to handle the rest of this level. We dispatch some resistance along the way.
LMkFQ.png

ZdZxd.png

IUwlD.png

As we reach the armoury, we press A when prompted. We start by checking out the store. We find this to be availible:
IYIbe.png

That appears to be the best item in the armory. Unfortunately, we aren't even close to being able to afford it. Instead, we settle for a broadsword and a shield for Asshat.The broadsword is better than the sword we already have, and the shield allows us to get an Armor Class of 3 in combination with the leather armor. We equip them. We also discover that Sissy the thief is able to use both the broadsword and the shield, so he also gets one of each.
tiuAU.png

mCREs.png

YWP2J.png

UkERY.png

7kFrh.png

ZJr0l.png

Freshly equipped, we decide to keep exploring the level. We fight some enemies and find a new spell.
0evfV.png

zZTBg.png

i3EfX.png

5KzMM.png

We keep exploring, gain another level, and find another cryptic message.
0WO77.png

d6VfC.png

fF3DG.png

mCP1W.png

We continue exploring, and find a place where several men seems to be standing guard. We decide to explore the rest of the level before going there. The enemies are starting to get extremely easy. We also find another message.
Ympv6.png

LR0YM.png

z1dj0.png

OEqOV.png

lPAsR.png

jdtdL.png

oMp6l.png

We explore the rest of the level, and then we look at our stats. We see some things have increased as we have gained levels.
gf9bX.png

iKJx6.png

meGxQ.png

eG89Y.png

As there is nothing left to do here except grinding, and the enemies are really easy at this point, we decide to hit that place where people were standing guard. We are greeted by 6 bandits.
dqMT6.png

In this game, multiple weaker foes are way worse than just one really strong foe. This is the first fight since we visited the armory that can't just be beaten by spamming A repeatedly. I try out the new Sting spell during this fight, but it seems pretty useless. I'll just manage by having Asshat and Sissy hacking away and making Faggot and Moron heal as required. The bandits start dying after a short while.
rK75D.png

kiVQs.png

At this point we come to a stairway. We've completed the first dungeon level. Now there are 16 or so more to go. This level wasn't really that hard (if you don't beat level one it means your party sucks), but if I don't have a distorted view of this game based on my childhood memories of not beating it, it gets way harder once you descend a bit.
Nobkf.png

At this point, however, I decide to save and end this session. Next session will be about level 2, and it will come when I'm bored enough to play this again. I am greeted by one of those things that really make this game the strange specimen that it is when I try to save though. It uses a very odd password system for saving and loading. You need to write down five(!) really long passwords in order to save the game. One for each character and one for the general progress you've made. Maybe I'm just uneducated, but I don't know of any other RPG that works like this. Here is what happens if you save:
sa0co.png

ydrEN.png

FdF07.png

RhMNB.png

Pfut1.png

So, codex, see you next time I'm this bored.

Gotta love those NES gamestate codes.
Yeah. Most RPG-ish games for NES use battery backups for saving though. This one doesn't, and I don't think I know of that many NES games whatsoever besides this one that require five gamstate codes simultaneously.

Pretty sophisticated set of adventurer names you got there.
Yeah. I could just have called them AAAAA. Or named them after their classes. Don't usually care about adventurer names. As I said, LARPing is wasted on this game.

spekkio

Arcane
BRO, LPs on 'Dex need at least one of those:

1) animu
2) lolis
3) next-gen
4) bloom
5) pigeons
6) DERP

So, this thread is lacking in some crucial areas methinks...

:rpgcodex:

lightbane

Arcane
Oh lololol, a NES rpg/dungeon-crawl with automap!!! In before :decline:

Keep going, anyways, it seems somewhat lulzy.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
:thumbsup:
BRO, LPs on 'Dex need at least one of those:

1) animu
2) lolis
3) next-gen
4) bloom
5) pigeons
6) DERP

So, this thread is lacking in some crucial areas methinks...

:rpgcodex:

I still have nightmares about Ulminati with the fat doctor bird avatar.

Arpad

Educated
This must be the only nes game to require that many codes. Everything else I remember from Metal Gear onwards wanted only oe code.

Is this the nes game Brian Fargo worked onn or was that another nes rpg? Passwall ftw. I remember hard to much progress on later levels as you are limited in mp. I think manual map making was actually what you should to at later lvl to not screw. I got stuck before end.

Gregz

Arcane
This LP has the potential for high adventure.

:thumbsup:

Man, I hated having to write down those damn game codes back in the day...I think I lost a Metroid code once that cost me 6 hours. Oh god, and the power outages...

:rage:

This must be the only nes game to require that many codes. Everything else I remember from Metal Gear onwards wanted only oe code.

Is this the nes game Brian Fargo worked onn or was that another nes rpg? Passwall ftw. I remember hard to much progress on later levels as you are limited in mp. I think manual map making was actually what you should to at later lvl to not screw. I got stuck before end.
It was developed by Interplay. As for who worked on it, I really couldn't say.

But yeah, soon the point will come when the game is less about gaining levels and fighting monsters and more about using passwall, teleporters and whatever spells you may have to figure out how to get through the game without dying horribly due to the spell points running out. The characters max out really quickly, and once that happens the only classes that really get any better are the magicians who find new spells. Stats max out at 20 and HP and MP max out at 32 or something like that. The high stat rolls give me an easy start, but they won't matter that much later. After you're maxed out it all just gets harder. All that remains at that point is getting better equipment. You want everyones AC to be really high, for instance. This is more important than damage IIRC.

I have completed and screencapped level 2 by the way. So I'll update as soon as I can find the time to upload.

Arpad

Educated
Jesus, you made any sense of that? Anyway yeah. I remember trying that game along with all the nes games I had ever touched. I think the main challenge was that you had seriously limited spellpoints and had to travel many levels of very frequent encounters to reach the next temple levels among with the the endless try-passwall-here action. I had that impression at least before I got bored and called it quits. Even the first level was hard when I first made a not so high level party (and bit later restarted with best rolls) since the encounters wear the party down so fast.

TripJack

Hedonist
lul those codes are ridiculous they'd probably be a bitch to type in

thank god for savestates

Okay, fellow codexers and other monocled fellows who like crawling through blue dungeons. The LP now continues, as promised.

Once we enter those gamestate codes, we spawn back at the temple on level 1. We decide to make a trip to the armory before we go down a level. We don't buy anything, but we do sell our shitty loot.
7aYK1.png

x3ADY.png

We then decide to take a peek at our general progress.
ZJfuY.png

We can't really afford the plus 2 sword, which should be our next priority. I remembered that the enemies on level two don't drop that much more gold than those on level one, but seeing as we're doing quite nicely for ourselves, we should be able to get our cash by taking them down while amassing the extra experience as well. We decide to go down to level two and see if we're fit to take down the enemies there. We dispatch some meek resistance along the way.
1vwwo.png

Og12b.png

lH6sS.png

Now, as we go on we are greeted by a disembodied voice(?) delivering us this cryptic message.
Rt56q.png

Now, we decide to start off by keeping ourselves close to the stairs to get a feel for the enemies here. We are soon greeted by our first encounter, consisting of a group of differently coloured zombies.
PV12G.png

These are noticably tougher than the enemies on level one. They get to act more often and can dish out quite a beating. This means it's important to keep tabs on our spell points and to not get reckless. We do, however, prevail. They give about the same amounts of gold as an encounter of similar magnitude on level 1, but the experience reward is way better.
iuyVl.png

k0tAH.png

We continue, in order to be greeted by blue bats. These are also noticably tougher than the bats on the level above. We beat them too. They drop a longsword.
qC73X.png

mFS6v.png

9CnDs.png

We check it out. It's better than the broadsword we're carrying, so we equip it.
H26ve.png

We continue.
fBgQn.png

We fight a bandit. This is only one enemy, so it's not that hard.
JV3lH.png

We are greeted by a creepy old guy. He has something to say. We keep exploring afterwards.
L5Cll.png

PuTsR.png

We also fight our first goblin. It's not hard. We also fight some more trash mobs and get some shit loot.
DGgnd.png

vBRtr.png

Yo3Gw.png

1xPHf.png

e5aKB.png

The level two bandits, however, start getting difficult when there's three of them. We take some damage and use some heals, but they go down eventually.
YtZN8.png

MAaOH.png

And then we get to fight more of them like two squares later...
r3rAD.png

vKwnP.png

But we are rewarded for our diligence, since these 3 level 2 bandit encounters give nice EXP.
TgNAy.png

CM2kM.png

dcNJu.png

OJsMA.png

FMlJ5.png

We find a door. But apparently we get a plot lock, courtesy of Goldylocks. Presumably, we have to defeat the three bears for the key.
e1oir.png

We keep exploring instead of caring about the locked door and fight more enemies.
dTxL0.png

We find a message!
9snz3.png

Understood, sensei!

We keep exploring. And we find...
gRRlj.png

crnSV.png

!!!!
d5Blm.png

Yeah, we are treated to a flashing screen with an X on it. We are then transported to level 1.
kMBzu.png

Looks like we are carrying some crap around. Now that we are on level 1, we go to the armory and sell that shit.
VSR50.png

DhsEV.png

rSBJO.png

We look at our treasury. We are soon going to be able to buy one plus two sword.
QivY1.png

We also visit the temple and heal up.
r18eZ.png

We leave for level 2 again.
gsVEv.png

We can't go back through the zoom tube, so we go to the stairs. When you go down the stairs you get this strange animation where level two comes up from below the screen and replaces level one. I assume there's some sound effecxt as well, but I don't play with sound on since the music for this game is 8-bit audio diarrhea.
Z0Hme.png

0Iofb.png

Once down on level 2, we meet some more goblins. They're not hard. Faggot has a lot of spell points at this point, so one bar isn't enough to contain them all anymore. We also meet some spiders. They're a bit tougher. Then we just keep exploring and fighting trash mobs for a while.
7dOE3.png

E6YuU.png

During the fight with these bats, Moron almost goes down. We heal him, however.
s6wei.png

sCylG.png

After a while we enter this really retarded part of level 2 that would be kind of a pain in the ass if you didn't have an automap function, which just makes the entire area worthless and retarded. It's a big maze made out of these 1 square rooms with doors. If you really want this area to be challenging, I guess you could put a sticky note over the automap (assuming windowed emulation), but I just say: fuck that, it would still be retarded so I just try to get through it as fast as possible.
wLWGO.png

We fight some enemies as we explore this clusterfuck.
Id7wK.png

After a while, we find a spell. This spell is actually really useful as it increases the AC of the entire party by 1 for a limited amount of time. Later, when the enemies get a little stronger, we'll pretty much be having it on all the time, since it usually saves spell points on not having to cast as many heals as you otherwise would.
cynBG.png

Just watch the automap and take a look at this retarded clusterfuck!
hTA1q.png

Well, now I've found a plus 1 sword.
R35Es.png

Let's examine it and compare it to the longsword.
p03CB.png

THgsx.png

W0YZO.png

Ok. We see that the longsword has a higher Efficiency value, but I have no clue what that does (hit chance?). The plus 1 sword does, however, increase your AC, making it really good. After some deliberation, Sissy gets the plus 1 sword to replace his shitty broadsword. He has less health than Asshat and has more of a history of taking damage so he could use the AC.
a8PtL.png

After a short while, we get a helmet.
v3R6Y.png

We examine it and establish that it can be used by magicians. This causes us to give it to Faggot.
AMlFg.png

NM8Uv.png

Upon further exploration, the creepy guy with red eyes gives us a warning.
TPYwv.png

We fight some more dudes.
gJ8r7.png

And we level up!
iuabY.png

YFrlj.png

cUtJM.png

0qHQO.png

ogWua.png

And we, of course, stumble on a teleporter.
jFwmU.png

We arrive very close to the stairs.
wvBXX.png

We survey the situation. We might as well go up and recuver our HP and SP.
FBMZL.png

mzAho.png

yh8Ft.png

bjs3T.png

We also visit the armory.
Nutwc.png

We buy the plus 2 sword. We see that it is in every way better than the longsword. We equip it.
lbGz0.png

kGmVI.png

dA7gu.png

We return to level 2.
uPqJe.png

We run into an encounter of 4 goblins as we explore the last crevices of level 2. They go down quick.
cfCRT.png

One square later, we get to fight another three goblins, they're also not hard. We try out shield.
s8EUl.png

And we find a stairway to level 3!
wHOqa.png

This is our status:
tlOsl.png

We save.
CRJs2.png

ntZyC.png

ATnl7.png

M1PqL.png

Yrvr7.png

So, that was level 2. See you some other time.

Luzur

Good Sir
hah, i remember i mistook the nostrils for eyes when seeing the gamebox in stores, thinking "what a ugly monster they have on the box."

Kwvgf.jpg

only years later i noticed the red eyes in the background.

I had hoped to update today or tomorrow, but my emulator just crashed on me and I hadn't "saved" (the save states don't work for some reason, it says "state saved" but nothing happens). So I'll have to delay slightly.

Will make effort to put next update on page 2.

Luzur

Good Sir
It took me ten seconds to see how those eyes were actually nostrils.

i wasnt in the stores staring at the box every day, i just saw it here and there over the years.

it wasnt until way later in my life when i actually owned the CIB game that i noticed my error.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom