Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I cleared all the rooms except for the Ur-Dragon, because fuck that fight. The way I cleared that room was basically buff up Abyssal Anguish and then just hit everything around me. I killed the Hellhounds first since they gave the most hell for my pans. Then I killed the normal Chimera cause those die fast and easy at that point. My archer handled the Wights I think, but they really aren't much of a hassle either. At least they aren't Liches. Then I just hacked the Gorchimera. Basically, just Abyssal Anguish on and proceed to hit everything with Guts rage.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I cleared all the rooms except for the Ur-Dragon, because fuck that fight. The way I cleared that room was basically buff up Abyssal Anguish and then just hit everything around me. I killed the Hellhounds first since they gave the most hell for my pans. Then I killed the normal Chimera cause those die fast and easy at that point. My archer handled the Wights I think, but they really aren't much of a hassle either. At least they aren't Liches. Then I just hacked the Gorchimera. Basically, just Abyssal Anguish on and proceed to hit everything with Guts rage.

I'm not sure what Abyssal Anguish is, nor do I know what Guts rage is. My main character is a ranger.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Guts:
dnfqz8.jpg

As for strategy against Hellhounds, how about Ice Affinity / Boon? Then go Guts rage (ie, Tenfold arrow at point blank) on them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I'm not sure what Abyssal Anguish is, nor do I know what Guts rage is. My main character is a ranger.

Abyssal Anguish is a sword enchant that Mystic Knights have. It extends the range of your melee weapon weapon as well as add a little extra shockwave damage. The reason why it's so powerful is that due to the extra range, you end up attacking several body parts at the same time when you fight against huge monsters, doing a lot more damage than you would usually do. Plus you can have a normal elemental enchant from a Mage as well as Abyssal Anguish. They don't overwrite each other.

Anyway, now that I'm in NG+ it's time to take a break from the game and start a new character later. I don't see the point in playing my character further. All that's left is to get a new weapon and shield from the Ur-Dragon and then Dragonforge them, but I don't see the point in doing that. Thinking of going Magick Archer next time. Seems to be a very fun vocation too.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Well, beat the game last night. The ending fight was not hard... just weird. I won't spoil it.

I apparently did keep doing the wrong thing whenever a choice was presented because I would eventually get the RETRY screen.

The only disappointment for me came when, like already stated here, the NG+ is not a true NG+. No difficulty increase or anything like that. It's just a chance to get content that you might have missed.

*minor spoiler*
At the end of the game, when you sit and become a spirit, is there any point to it? I can pick people up and throw them as well as attack things, but other than that, there didn't seem to be a point.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
*spoilers, maybe*

It's pointless as far as I could see. You can go on a GTA rampage on the NPCs without being thrown in jail and that's about it. Or follow them around. Would've been better if you could've roamed the whole world. I wanted to go and kill the Duke.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yeah, the NG+ is unfortunately very poor. I only got as far as the capital in my run and, though there are a few extra bulletin quests and monsters are allegedly a higher level than before (theorized, again, due to the amount of experience they award), you'll just blaze through it.

They definitely dropped the ball on this aspect, hopefully they'll fix it in the future (ohgodnotdlc).

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
*spoilers, maybe*

It's pointless as far as I could see. You can go on a GTA rampage on the NPCs without being thrown in jail and that's about it. Or follow them around. Would've been better if you could've roamed the whole world. I wanted to go and kill the Duke.
Same here.

On further thought, I think the pointlessness of it was the point, and thus the way to get out of it.

I wonder if there is a secret or something that I missed, but I didn't have the patience to look for it.

Still, I give the game an enthusiastic thumbs up. My wife will be happy to have the TV back. ;-)

theHiddenHand

Educated
Great to know that this game gets harder. I am in love with it already despite it's many failings and have lost a lot of sleep but oh my goodness it is brutal :greatjob: especially when i just jump into a shit load of enemies and get my ass handed to me. Great fun thank you capcom you bunch of sadists :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Just fought my first golem. Took probably 30ish minutes. Love the different ways, and body parts enemy monsters. I was level 25ish which seems to be a little low to be facing golems L0L if the battle is any inidication.

Lots of good things in the game but some irritating things as well. I just hope I don't get bored with it before end game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Started a Magick Archer yesterday. Reached the prologue today. Very fun vocation, even more fun than the Mystic Knight was, but the targeting system is a little bit annoying. Especially so when fighting big boss monsters and you want to aim at something specific, like their weak point. It tends to switch targets quite erratically and then you end up shooting at something else and doing crappy damage.
Also, I'm very upset that there are no "end game" Medium armor sets, like Chimera or Griffin armor. You only get bits and pieces of some crap that don't look very good when you wear them together. I look more like a hobo barbarian than a Magick Archer. There's also a serious lack of Magical Bows before you hit the prologue. About half of them can only be obtained in the prologue, which is rather insane. They just weren't paced out very well.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Pray tell, how exactly is a 'magick archer' supposed to look for realz?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Pray tell, how exactly is a 'magick archer' supposed to look for realz?

Probably like a normal Archer, except with a bit more elegance to the armor. The only way I can describe my armor is brutish. I look like a half assed norse warrior instead of a real bowman.

I like the targeting system of the Magick Archer because I hate aiming with a controller.

it's good for normal monsters, but for boss monsters that move around a lot, like Griffins and Manticores, it's poopy. A well placed shot will eat at least one health bar from them. The problem is getting that well placed shot with the aiming system when they spaz out.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The single save allowed is garbage. Just had my save file corrupted when I must have accidentally turned it off while it was doing an auto save. I thought one of the purposes of the checkpoint system was to maintain two staggered saves in case one got corrupted.

Other than that it is a pretty good ARPG. I hope they have a chance to make a sequel and address some of the weaknesses the game had.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My biggest problem is that the game is too darn easy. I can't believe that people actually compared the difficulty of this game to Dark Souls. This is a kind of game that would work better if it had the same kind of difficulty as Monster Hunter, I think. That and some performance issues. Those are my top concerns.

deuxhero

Arcane
The single save allowed is garbage. Just had my save file corrupted when I must have accidentally turned it off while it was doing an auto save. I thought one of the purposes of the checkpoint system was to maintain two staggered saves in case one got corrupted.

Other than that it is a pretty good ARPG. I hope they have a chance to make a sequel and address some of the weaknesses the game had.

If you are on PS3 you can work around it by making a new system profile. This doesn't help with corruption though.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Wow, no posts for almost a week.

Is everyone burned out on DD now? (I've been sort of taking a break after getting half-way through my second playthrough.)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
To be fair the theme is song is complete Capcom garbage that fits into the game like a suitably shaming metaphor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom