Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First work in progress screenshot of Wasteland 2 revealed

Stinger

Arcane
It looks ok, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt of an Alpha screenshot. For me it's the lack of detailed textures rather than the over saturated colours. I think meltdown is on the money when he pointed out another game with a saturated palette but one where the detailed textures balanced it out and the overall look was very pretty.

It's definitely the lack of detail that's making the colours look too simple and glaring and all the attempts at washing the colours out still don't really fix it.

Still, Alpha build, so here's hoping they add in more details to make the overall look much better.

Also there is no way that scorpitron is going to lose.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I wish FTR's balls would just drop already, this brattish confrontational attitude abut everything and everyone is annoying as hell

Good to know, because I find your devil's advocate attitude equally annoying. Even more so when it's coupled with illusions of maturity like in this post.

You don't look smarter than a "brat" by forcing this retarded neutrality.

I must confess I'm not a huge fan of the 'bright' look either but as others have already said the proof of the pudding will be in how Wasteland 2 plays.

As a vaguely-related aside, the game that nailed the future wasteland look for me? None other than:

MCG6.jpg

Still an all-time favorite. I wish they'd stick it on GOG.

[Edit: And approximately 30 seconds later the Wasteland 2 look is beginning to grow on me on further perusal of the screenshot.]

Whoa, what game is this? I want to play it!

Haraldur

Augur
Will the game have a day-night cycle? The screenshot looks OK, colourwise, for near-sunset, as the shadows seem to suggest, when one would expect a red/orange glow -- (too much) desaturation would not, then, be appropriate.

Overall, it looks good.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
"it's just a beta" etc

I'd agree if I thought people are responding to actual stylistic concerns, rather than just the fact that the WIP status makes it look more plastic-y and thus more "cartoony".

Putting in optional filter for the palette is so snooze-button, what kind of concern is that. Here, addressed.

The way you guys are responding to this, you'd think the screenshot looks like this.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
A bit less saturation would be nice but yeah, as long as the game will be good, I really don't care if the damn colours will be a little brighter.

I'll wear sunglasses and problem fucking solved. :cool:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's not about neutrality it's about you going off when you are obviously being an idiot.

If there's anyone that started "going off" is those who jumped with "hurrr you're a retard" and "you just want grim dark" at those who just said that the colors are too saturated.

Dexter

Arcane
I usually am the first to hate on the guys saying shit like "it's only Beta" or whatever in MMORPGs 2 weeks before their release date, but I kind of feel obliged to say that this is 3 months into development and mere 2 months after they finalized the engine decision.

To be honest I'm surprised to see ANY kind of screenshot of the game this early into development without Post Processing, some Filtering etc., I'd have expected them in like a year after funding has finished, but I guess they want to gauge reactions and see what people are saying.

That said, I personally hope they go more the Fallout/Gorky 17 etc. type of "Wasteland" more over Borderlands or Torchlight kind of stuff since I'm seeing some sort of cel-shady type of look on those rock formations etc.
I'm not sure if I can take any kind of serious/moral kind of "quests" serious in such an environment.
I actually bought that on Steam, since it's up for 2.50, I hope it is good xD
Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46560/

MisterStone

Arcane
FUCKIN HELL YEAHR SCORPITRON I LUVS YOU SCORPITRON!

:yeah:

Looks like a good start. They do need to improve the models and skins a bit, get the colors to be a little less gaudy, but nothing to be too worried about at this point.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For a 1st screenshot only a few months into development I think it looks great. In fact, it looks better than I thought it would and feel they are going in the right direction.

I'm less concerned with the Codex's reaction as I am for all those Bioware and Bethesda fans who are expecting Fallout 4. They will be soon flooding the W2 forums demanding their money back. They must be going crazy right now... "What?! No bloom... No 1st person perspective?!... What camera angle is this?!... Which one is MY character?!... Why doesn't the Big Scorpion thing have a quest maker over it?!... Where's Dogmeat?!"

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Looks like their artists are not working with a good palette, as red and slime green do not go together well. Other than that, the progress looks good, but I am more interested in how they will handle turn based movement and the RPG engine details.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
all those Bioware and Bethesda fans who are expecting Fallout 4. They will be soon flooding the W2 forums demanding their money back.

I have some faith in their talent in rationalising anything a developer does into something positive and basically being apologists up to the final expansion pack is paid for

for once these traits will be put towards a decent cause

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
For a 1st screenshot only a few months into development I think it looks great. In fact, it looks better than I thought it would and feel they are going in the right direction.

I'm less concerned with the Codex's reaction as I am for all those Bioware and Bethesda fans who are expecting Fallout 4. They will be soon flooding the W2 forums demanding their money back. They must be going crazy right now... "What?! No bloom... No 1st person perspective?!... What camera angle is this?!... Which one is MY character?!... Why doesn't the Big Scorpion thing have a quest maker over it?!... Where's Dogmeat?!"

Exactly.... No camera angle? No superduper 1st person badass??? And wehre is my quest maker???? Money back, please....

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom