Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You have to PAY FOR OBLIVION MODS? OMG, WTF? FUBAR!

Lord Chambers

Erudite
What're ESP and IP?

Lumpy

Arcane
ESP = Elder Scrolls Plugin. The file which contains the modification.
Anything else the mod consists of, models, pictures, etc. is the property of the creator. The .esp, though is Bethesda's. Meaning that they could, in theory, sell it.
And if Microsoft would claim all Word documents, who would use Word any more? That's why they don't.

kris

Arcane
Daigoji_Gai said:
kingcomrade said:
Ill mail you a plane ticket to NYC so you can come and try Mr. Tough guy talking smack from behing a computer monitor.
Teh irany!
aiee.gif

Difference is, I would actually mail him a plane ticket if he wanted to attempt it. Jet Blue is fairly cheap.... He could see scenic NYC, or even better try to get into E3 and come say hi.. I would bare my fingers for him to attempt to break.

Darn it, it seems I don't threaten enough people. will you pay a trip from Sweden if I promise to break your fingers? It wouldn't cost more than 470$ and I am actually trained in the arts of breaking extermities and need some practical practise. Maybe you should post your adress too?

Section8

Cipher
To be fair, it's actually fairly standard in legal terms for a developer to "lay claim" to modder's work. I'm not really sure why it is, but it's not a big deal unless a developer actually decides to be fucked enough to package it up for release, thus starting all sorts of shitfest across the whole internet.

As far as other peoples IP (Intellectual Property) being used in mods, that's probably prohibited somewhere in the EULA. Technically, a Predator mod for anything is illegal, but generally no corporation cares enough to stomp out something as insignificant as a few people throwing together a mod for someone else's game.

The only notable instances I can think of, are a few Quake mods, such as the Aliens TC, which was slapped with a cease and decist (or something) from Fox. That gave us the term "foxed" to refer to mods getting canned by the legal owner of the IP.

There was also various legal proceedings between Marvel and/or DC comics and Freedom Force modders. Whoever it was even set their sights upon City of Heroes, saying the game provided all the tools necessary for players to deliberately infrgine their copyrights.

In reality, it's not really worth the time, effort, or negative publicity of either publishing modders work without permission, or battling copyright infringements. Would Bethesda ever be that fucking stupid? Who knows?

AZ

Liturgist
It is, Bethesda wants to take a part from modding. What I really don't like is Beth fucking up something good just to make a bit more money.
What is absurd, that they now this would fuck up
fans (whit pc) - so they talk shit all the time.

crufty

Arcane
Section8 said:
To be fair, it's actually fairly standard in legal terms for a developer to "lay claim" to modder's work. I'm not really sure why it is, but it's not a big deal unless a developer actually decides to be fucked enough to package it up for release, thus starting all sorts of shitfest across the whole internet.

I think its to protect the corporation. You put in your EULA, no copyrighted work, so when some six year old makes a superman mod, DC Comics more than likely won't sue you.

BUT...in terms of the copyright owner owning any derivative works, I don't think that's how it flies. To protect IP you have trademark, copyrights, patents, etc. However, if you make art, its yours. If your art contains protected IP, however, then what you can do with it is pretty limited.

But if your art DOESN'T...then what grounds does the copyright owner have? A good lawyer can shred any contract (or EULA), espicially one that doesn't involve a signature.

The legal battle would still be expensive, however, right or wrong, making it all a moot point.

axewater

Novice
Yeah its a bummer that mods can't communicate with each other ... I also think it's weird that the 3rd party mods are already better (Weather Wizard, anyone ? Pearl Armour ?) then what Bethesda softworks is making us pay for..

VenomByte

Scholar
axewater said:
Yeah its a bummer that mods can't communicate with each other ... I also think it's weird that the 3rd party mods are already better (Weather Wizard, anyone ? Pearl Armour ?) then what Bethesda softworks is making us pay for..

Weird that the fan mods are better? Hell no. If you spend much time looking at the Morrowind mod community, you'd be simple astounded if Beth managed to put out anything that was better than the modders could do. Only EvoG could possibly not see it coming.

Gimping the CS and not releasing a NIF exporter is the only possible way they can get one up on the modders, and even try to justify their paid-for downloads.

Shameful practice, if you ask me. I'm really not impressed. I can't wait for the rest of the CS crippling 'features' to be revealed over the next few weeks.

bryce777

Erudite
VenomByte said:
axewater said:

Weird that the fan mods are better? Hell no. If you spend much time looking at the Morrowind mod community, you'd be simple astounded if Beth managed to put out anything that was better than the modders could do. Only EvoG could possibly not see it coming.

Gimping the CS and not releasing a NIF exporter is the only possible way they can get one up on the modders, and even try to justify their paid-for downloads.

Shameful practice, if you ask me. I'm really not impressed. I can't wait for the rest of the CS crippling 'features' to be revealed over the next few weeks.

I love it that this is all mostly oming out just now. I am shocked even just making a 3d model will be more or less inpractical....

Klinn

Novice
I thought somebody on the TES Forums used a NIF converter for Civ4 to bring something into Oblivion? Probably very limited so far, no animation or Havok, but maybe good enough to build a Wizards Tower. :)

Solik

Scholar
Yeah, this whole thing sucks. I'd hope this little venture fails completely. Shit like horse armor should be in patches.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Horse armor sounds like the kind of stuff that should have been shipped with the game, period.

I don't even try to come up with reasons as to why I won't ever be investing in Oblivion; Bethesda are doing a fine job as it is.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Brahmin Armour for 2.50 bitches lolz

Drakron

Arcane
Actually there is a uproar about the Orrey plugin since some are saying Bethsoft removed it from the game in order to ship it later.

The horse armor was, OXM had pictures of a white horse wearing the elven armor well before release so its clear that it was done and could have ship with the game.

Even more ugly is that some armors lack expecific female torso mesh and even if they are heavy armors I do have to wonder if we are not going to see a "LeFemme" plugin down the line that adds expecific meshs for the female version of that armor.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Drakron said:
The horse armor was, OXM had pictures of a white horse wearing the elven armor well before release so its clear that it was done and could have ship with the game.

Lol. Figures.

I'm still betting some people are going to lap it up like it was the second coming, though.

Blahblah Talks

Arbiter
Drakron said:
Actually there is a uproar about the Orrey plugin since some are saying Bethsoft removed it from the game in order to ship it later.

From what I understand, there is an unopennable door in the Arcane University. If you noclip through it there is a blank room where the Orrery goes once you install the plugin. (Source: speculative ESF thread that I can't find now.)

denizsi

Arcane
As much as I don't trust Bethesda, I don't think they will keep exporters back deliberately forever. They may be keeping them for a while, but sooner or later they will release it, I believe.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to put the exporters on sale.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Drakron said:
Even more ugly is that some armors lack expecific female torso mesh and even if they are heavy armors I do have to wonder if we are not going to see a "LeFemme" plugin down the line that adds expecific meshs for the female version of that armor.

I was wondering the same thing, it's especially bad on the Dwemer chest pece.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to put the exporters on sale
i'm thinking expansion pack D:

Section8

Cipher
Plate armor doesn't grow boobs? Heresy!

Steel plate isn't too bad, since it's big and bulky and could be hiding anything underneath. Others, like Dwemer Armour could only fit a male.

With regard to pay-to-play content, I think it's pretty scabby to sell extra content that could easily have been included in the game. It's like including additional content with overpriced "collector's" editions. I'm fine with including pewter figures, coins, t-shirts, whatever, but there should never be two copies of the same game on a shelf, one of which is incomplete.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom