Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trying to play Wasteland 1 but...

MMXI

Arcane
In Wasteland active skill/item/attribute use is much more important than in Fallout.
Indeed. And the combat system is completely different too. But my point is that these differences are not indicative of technological differences at all. Therefore, one would have to conclude...
Notice how he compared titles with screenshots, too. So I guess, old graphics -> game sucks.
...this.

Texas Red

Whiner
Fallout 1/2
Not really that much different other than Wasteland having a party. I guess Fallout has a deeper character system though.

New Vegas
New Vegas DLC
No.

Notice how he compared titles with screenshots, too. So I guess, old graphics -> game sucks.

New Vegas
New Vegas DLC

Just because some dudes are trying to cash in on this horribly outdated game instead of, I don't know, creating something new,

HERPA DERP DERP.

So, I guess that in 10 years Fallout will be an outdated piece of shit too and it would be autistic of you to play it.

What the fuck does outdated mean in this case, anyway, if not "it's old so I don't like it and the interface sux lol"

Indeed, you are correct. FO1 was already showing signs of being outdated a long time ago. I remember on my last playthrough I noticed how empty Shady Sands was, how few quests there were in the Hub and so forth. You need to move forward and try new shit, open your eyes to experience and learning.

Go ahead and praise the storytelling of Wasteland. Meanwhile I will be enjoying some refreshing Mordin CC in ME *SPOILERS*:

Depending on Shepard's actions, Mordin can sacrifice himself to cure the genophage that the salarians assisted in unleashing upon the krogans. He travels up in the elevator to the top of the Shroud Tower and releases the cure. He is killed in the subsequent explosion. If he sang for Shepard in the previous game, Mordin dies singing his favorite tune, "Scientist Salarian", finally at peace with his work on the genophage modification project. If Wrex and Eve are both alive, Eve insists their first child be named "Mordin" in honor of his sacrifice. In an alternate situation, if Shepard chooses not to warn about the Dalatrass Linron offer, Mordin discovers that the Shroud has been sabotaged and Shepard is forced to kill Mordin, preventing him from reaching the Shroud controls and the cure from being released. Should Mordin be killed on Tuchanka in any situation, or if Mordin did not survive the suicide mission, his name will be engraved on the memorial wall on board the Normandy.
However, Mordin can be saved during the mission if Wreav is the clan leader and the lack of Maelon's data leads to Eve's death. In this case Mordin can be convinced the krogan will only repeat the Krogan Rebellions under Wreav's command and will willingly disappear to maintain the illusion of his death. If Mordin is saved and the genophage cure is sabotaged as a result, the salarians offers their support along with krogan support under Urdnot Wreav, as the krogan are unaware of the sabotage. Mordin also lends his expertise for the Crucible project. After the battle for Earth, Mordin is seen in a lab with a male and female krogan in tanks, implying he is continuing his research.
If Mordin did not survive the suicide mission against the Collector Base, the STG base commander on Sur'Kesh, Padok Wiks, performs Mordin's role in key plot events during the Reapers invasion.

Or perhaps I will take a look at one of the massive quests in New Vegas:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Beyond_the_Beef

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Bashing Wasteland is rather unusual to see. Too bad Texas Red doesn't give a particurly good critique of Wasteland. Might be interesting to see what an 80's rpg enthusiasist who dislikes the game might say.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Bashing Wasteland is rather unusual to see. Too bad Texas Red doesn't give a particurly good critique of Wasteland. Might be interesting to see what an 80's rpg enthusiasist who dislikes the game might say.
Tons of random encounters - almost a genocide simulation. The whole soldiers start out with pistols thing.
Losing unconsciousness a lot without a chance of being wounded in the initial stages of the game. Not enough use of the map for tactics and stuff.

Tons of random encounters - almost a genocide simulation.

Depends on the area. Apart from a couple of locations, the random encounters are no issue. Eg; there are many more annoying random encounters in Wizardry 8, Bards Tale, etc.

The whole soldiers start out with pistols thing.

Ha. Let me know which non fantasy RPG doesn't do this, or the equivalent of?

Losing unconsciousness a lot without a chance of being wounded in the initial stages of the game.

Horrible. Just horrible. Bet you were wishing this to return once you hit the Vegas Sewers.

Not enough use of the map for tactics and stuff.

There is some. More than blob games, or Fallout, etc. I managed to draw enemy fire with one of my heavily armoured acrobats a number of times by splitting them off and have them race in a different direction.

Bros this game is awesome! I'd like to know, how can I distribute new skill points and learn new skills? For example I "radioed" a few levels gained 4 intelligence on my characters, but I do not have the option to distribute new skill points that I earned by increasing intelligence. Also how can I learn for example Doctor skill as it wasn't available during character creation? Also, I do not have access to Highpool merchant anymore, I try to trade but my party just enters on his square and nothing happens. Is it a bug? Can it be mended?

Man can't wait for W2. What magic can they weave with today's tech... :love:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Depends on the area. Apart from a couple of locations, the random encounters are no issue. Eg; there are many more annoying random encounters in Wizardry 8, Bards Tale, etc.
Oh, so it's just less bad than in the worst?

Ha. Let me know which non fantasy RPG doesn't do this, or the equivalent of?
Buck Rogers, I think. And AFAIK none of fantasy cRPGs start out with daggers and darts as only weapons available - you get to buy swords, polearms, longbows and stuff immediately after the start.

Horrible. Just horrible. Bet you were wishing this to return once you hit the Vegas Sewers.
What is horrible is the zero challenge battles where you just have to endure the losing and gaining of consciousness to win.
I haven't hit the Vegas Sewers yet, but being actually able to lose in Needles was quite refreshing.

There is some. More than blob games, or Fallout, etc. I managed to draw enemy fire with one of my heavily armoured acrobats a number of times by splitting them off and have them race in a different direction.
I think that using map and positioning for advantage should be a necessity, not something that is just possible in some encounters.

Bros this game is awesome! I'd like to know, how can I distribute new skill points and learn new skills? For example I "radioed" a few levels gained 4 intelligence on my characters, but I do not have the option to distribute new skill points that I earned by increasing intelligence. Also how can I learn for example Doctor skill as it wasn't available during character creation? Also, I do not have access to Highpool merchant anymore, I try to trade but my party just enters on his square and nothing happens. Is it a bug? Can it be mended?
Did you do something in Highpool?

You can learn skills in libraries that are in some cities. BTW. have you considered reading the manual?

Did you do something in Highpool?

You can learn skills in libraries that are in some cities. BTW. have you considered reading the manual?

Sure, but when I increase my IQ, how can I use that 2 skillpoints gained from raising IQ by 2? Only in the libraries, or is there some other way?

No I didn't do anything in Highpool except slipping in the river twice and 2 groups of kids appeared. I rescued Jackie, and killed dog and Bobby. Is there a way to save Jackie, without killing the dog and or Bobby? I.E. is there a way to go through the game without being a childkiller, from highpool and those Topekan toddlers? Or is the game just made that way so you kill kids?

SinVraal

Educated

Find libraries to use skill points. Some libraries have exclusive skills that none other have buy typically you can find doctor in libraries in Vegas and buildings within Vegas.

Highpool might not talk to you if you pissed them off by killing kids. Have you fixed the water purifier? Either way he is a pretty shitty merchant so use the one in Quartz.

Find libraries to use skill points. Some libraries have exclusive skills that none other have buy typically you can find doctor in libraries in Vegas and buildings within Vegas.

Highpool might not talk to you if you pissed them off by killing kids. Have you fixed the water purifier? Either way he is a pretty shitty merchant so use the one in Quartz.

Thx bro. So far seems to me it's best to just pump IQ if only by doing that you can increase skills (well except for using them and improving ingame)? I didn't kill kids that appeared when I fell in the river. Just Bobby and his dog. I could have avoided killing bobby, but it was iritating to go through combat every time. Is there a way to avoid killing children in this game, but without loosing some parts of the plot? Probably no... :D I fixed the water purifier, yes. There's infirmary in the Highpool and it works, just the trader doesn't. Should I kill all the children in highpool, I would have to "force" an encounter with those kids that appeared by the river.

Morkar Left

Skyways attempt was weak, Texas Red put more effort into it but Awor was the most subtle one.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Sure, but when I increase my IQ, how can I use that 2 skillpoints gained from raising IQ by 2? Only in the libraries, or is there some other way?
AFAIK only in libraries. There's also a learn-by-use skill progression.

No I didn't do anything in Highpool except slipping in the river twice and 2 groups of kids appeared. I rescued Jackie, and killed dog and Bobby.
Sounds like a bug, then.

Is there a way to save Jackie, without killing the dog and or Bobby? I.E. is there a way to go through the game without being a childkiller, from highpool and those Topekan toddlers? Or is the game just made that way so you kill kids?
You can walk away from Bobby. He can't shoot you. Though what's the point in the end? If they are attacking you, you can kill them all and take away their stuff.

AFAIK only in libraries. There's also a learn-by-use skill progression.

No I didn't do anything in Highpool except slipping in the river twice and 2 groups of kids appeared. I rescued Jackie, and killed dog and Bobby.
Sounds like a bug, then.

Is there a way to save Jackie, without killing the dog and or Bobby? I.E. is there a way to go through the game without being a childkiller, from highpool and those Topekan toddlers? Or is the game just made that way so you kill kids?
You can walk away from Bobby. He can't shoot you. Though what's the point in the end? If they are attacking you, you can kill them all and take away their stuff.

Thx. So practically the best stat to pump is IQ? Is charisma worthless? What else is worthless to put points in and what's good? Are there any uses for forgery, sleigh of hand and some of the more obscure skills like bureaucracy?

About killing kids, I guess LARP too much. :D And should just kill them all (if they attack me). I thought you can save jackie without killing the dog and breaking the kids heart. And then killing the kid himself.

SinVraal

Educated
Charisma isn't worthless but it's uses are limited. Forgery I'm not sure I've ever used. Sleight of Hand has 1 use that I can think of. Bureaucracy I can't think of any use in the game. Metallurgy has one use in the game and it's isn't really that great but it was cool to find a use for it. Same with Cryptology. I think it has 2 uses.

Skills available later on like Helicopter pilot and Electronics are useful but not mandatory while weird skills like Toaster Repair are required.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Vegas was terrible; one of the worst areas in any game I've played. I actually explored almost all of outdoors Vegas, and had no problems killing the Scorpitron, but somehow I missed a crucial encounter with a talkable NPC. I also did the mistake of backing up saves within the D-Fend Reloaded folder, which fucked up things. So after consulting a walkthrough to find out what I missed the only working save was right at the beginning of Vegas, and I couldn't stand the thought of battling the same legions of killer robots all over again.
To me Wasteland was slightly disappointing compared to many other old CRPGs I only played the past couple of years. I like the general idea and the setting, but I never got really comfortable with many of the game mechanics.

Charisma isn't worthless but it's uses are limited. Forgery I'm not sure I've ever used. Sleight of Hand has 1 use that I can think of. Bureaucracy I can't think of any use in the game. Metallurgy has one use in the game and it's isn't really that great but it was cool to find a use for it. Same with Cryptology. I think it has 2 uses.

Skills available later on like Helicopter pilot and Electronics are useful but not mandatory while weird skills like Toaster Repair are required.

This is one awesome game. Sure, it has it's flaws. But when I think that it's a game from 1988, and when I compare its gameplay and complexity to games today, I don't wanna live on this world anymore. :( There are a few potentially good projects on kickstarter to hope for, but never again from majority of developers will we get such gems. All we are going to get are AAA cinematic experiences. Fuck that shit. Good thing is there are a lot of good old games that I haven't really played and I will be able to experience them all! If I live long enough that is. :D For example if I like wasteland I presume I will like old Bard's Tales...

Vegas was terrible; one of the worst areas in any game I've played. I actually explored almost all of outdoors Vegas, and had no problems killing the Scorpitron, but somehow I missed a crucial encounter with a talkable NPC. I also did the mistake of backing up saves within the D-Fend Reloaded folder, which fucked up things. So after consulting a walkthrough to find out what I missed the only working save was right at the beginning of Vegas, and I couldn't stand the thought of battling the same legions of killer robots all over again.
To me Wasteland was slightly disappointing compared to many other old CRPGs I only played the past couple of years. I like the general idea and the setting, but I never got really comfortable with many of the game mechanics.

What games would you suggest me to play that are more interesting and even better than Wasteland? Some classics that are fun to play even today and that can't be missed? As you have been on a quest to measure them all and how they stood the test of time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
if I like wasteland I presume I will like old Bard's Tales...

Bard's Tale is more of a pure dungeon crawler, and it has no skills. It does combat better than Wasteland IMO, but there is an insane amount of it, since random encounter checks is made in real time, and happend every few seconds.
If you like Wasteland you'll probaly like Dragon Wars, though, since that game is more similar. It has skills, paragraphs to read, better graphics and best of all, no Vegas areas with insane amounts of encounters.

What games would you suggest me to play that are more interesting and even better than Wasteland? Some classics that are fun to play even today and that can't be missed? As you have been on a quest to measure them all and how they stood the test of time.

Well, personally I liked these better than Wasteland:
Phantasie
Might and Magic 2 and 3. Even 1 if you are prepared to draw your own maps.
Ultima V
Demon's Winter
The Magic Candle
Dragon Wars
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
Darklands
Gold Box games

if I like wasteland I presume I will like old Bard's Tales...

Bard's Tale is more of a pure dungeon crawler, and it has no skills. It does combat better than Wasteland IMO, but there is an insane amount of it, since random encounter checks is made in real time, and happend every few seconds.
If you like Wasteland you'll probaly like Dragon Wars, though, since that game is more similar. It has skills, paragraphs to read, better graphics and best of all, no Vegas areas with insane amounts of encounters.

How about some other games which are must play, but aren't really similar to Wasteland?

And thx, btw.

SinVraal

Educated
Yes Bard's Tale are dungeon crawlers which I enjoy but not everyone does. Dragon Wars! Man I never was able to play that game. Gonna see if I can find it somewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom