Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The 10 Biggest PC Games of All Time

sser

Arcane
Developer
I still remember plundering my 9-gig hard drive to get Shogun: Total War to fit.

waywardOne

Arcane
I remember (fuck, I must be old to start 1/2 my posts this way) when I didn't install BG's movies in order to conserve space.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Max Payne 3 has 35 gigs? And I thought the latest Total War games with their 20+ gigs were much...

I didn't know cutscenes could take away so much space.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Baldurs Gates five CDs really shocked me since to have the full install I had to clean my entire hard and leave only windows. Funny thing is that a year or two before I play Jane's U.S. Navy Fighters which when starting to install asked me to choose the install size and the biggest one was 15 megabytes which had a warning to choose only if you had a huge hard drive. I still remember that fondly especially when seeing how big the games have become today.

Gord

Arcane
Fuck, it's really getting time to upgrade my internet connection...

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Max Payne 3 has 35 gigs? And I thought the latest Total War games with their 20+ gigs were much...

They do when you have them every fucking five seconds.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I remenber that one of the first things I did when I upgraded my PC in 2000 was installing Fallout's "HUMONGOUS" 300MB setting... oh the joy. :lol:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I couldn't install the ToB expansion for BG2 because my hdd was to small. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
One of the new engine features on display in last year's Rage is "virtual texturing," a technique which allows the game to load up just a part of a texture file into RAM while it's being used, instead of loading the entire texture at once. Because the smaller size of the RAM is no longer a limitation, larger texture files can be used

Off topic, but Idtech 5 seems pretty cool.

Although it seems to be made with console limitations in mind.

thesoup

Arcane
I remember the humongous Diablo 2 with LoD taking over a quarter of my hard drive on the minimum install.

Phelot

Arcane
I remember (fuck, I must be old to start 1/2 my posts this way) when I didn't install BG's movies in order to conserve space.

Yes and I specifically recall that my disk 3 (IIRC is Nashkel, mines, and the surrounding area) had something weird with it that made it extremely loud so I used to cringe every time it started up

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was that brief and amusing period back in the 90s when storage media (CDs) was actually larger than most hard drives.
Pretty weird if you think about it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I remember being butthurt at Sin for taking some 400MB on my HDD.

And let's not forget the patch that you needed in order to finally reach a playable level, but that one weighted a huge 30 Mb or so, which was hellish to get on dial-up at a time when a big patch was expected to be around 5 Mb. Good times. Good times.

racofer

Thread Incliner
They left DA:O's Ultimate Edition out of that list out of stupidity.

While the main game folder takes about ~13GB, the DLCs combined take up to 12GB of data, but it's on a different folder.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

They do when you have them every fucking five seconds.

See, JarlFrank implied that this was the point. Which is why it was funny. You just explained the joke. Why did you explain the joke?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
The joke failed to meet the illustrious gentlemen's standard. Thus he was compelled to ruin the joke and score free brofists along the way. Yet this is only one of countless possible motivations with each one as likely as the other.
On Topic: Age of Conan looks interesting. Does it suck or not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom