Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed I want to be an Urist - A community Dwarf Fortress LP

Hellraiser

Arcane
Nah, was just waiting till the weekend since I barely have time for shit during the week, played the first six months last weekend and wanted to finish during this one. I waste most of my free time on LoL/AoE online during the week.

Anyway the year is over, I didn't do as much as I wanted to but a ton of FUN and dwarven :incline: happened. Either way it was a most glorious year, you'll see when I'll post the update tomorrow. Need to write it and edit/upload the screenshots. The spirit of Hellraiserin does indeed watch over the volcano fortress of Virgintraded.

Hellraiser

Arcane
A prosperous year.

volcano5.jpg

1st Granite, 257

These fools, they think I’m dead. Well technically I am, but I live on in the realm of our masters. From which I watch them, influence them, lead them to their glory. It is I, the mad baroness Hellraiserin of Virgintraded as they called me, but I have become something more. I have become a messenger, a liaison between the realm of mere dwarves and that which lies beyond, in the plane of existence where the true powers of the universe dwell.

They are ignorant of their genius, ignorant of their alien perception. They are nothing more than ants to them. But I, the baroness herself, shall lead them to their glory once again.

DF2-0001.jpg

The last dolt to manage this place ordered some of the miners to level the top of the volcano. Why? I have no bloody idea, either way he and several others have died or become critically injured. They will all die because there is not fresh water to give them here, they will die before I could teach him how to become something more, how to ascend into
the realm of infinite possibilities.

HOPW RAEWUR NE

DF2-0008.jpg

15th Slate, 257

Even now more travel to the blessed fortress, the call of the infinite ones beckons them. No dwarf can resist it, no dwarf can refuse the call. Virgintraded is their chosen place, a gate to their realm of insanity and prosperity.

DF2-0010.jpg

Even now, despite being protected by the ancient ones, there are enemies, servants of decline who wish to destroy that which I helped build into greatness. Foul creatures like elves, prisoners of ice and ichtious monstrosities.
However there is a plan, a device. Powered by the freezing mighty winds howling in this forsaken land of ice. A system of magma pumps, which when needed will flood any enemy foolish enough to step onto the entrance to the divine fortress of Virgintraded.

DF2-0011.jpg

Now we only need wood, these dolts wasted a lot of it on coffins when there is perfectly good stone aplenty around. Nevertheless I shall influence them from this plane of existence, make them seek out the object of elven worship and twist it into mighty machinery thus angering the elven abominations.

IA IA!

DF2-0013.jpg

Also the magma forge has been fixed, these fools managed to make a bloody mess out of the magma channel powering them. It doesn’t matter, now all forges are operation and the might of the volcano shall power a great dwarven industry, an industry which will build that which our eldritch benefactors require us to build.

DF2-0015.jpg

6th Felsite, 257

As expected, the injured dwarves die out of thirst, one by one.

DF2-0017.jpg

Elves, the tree-fornicating cowards want to trade. Good, we shall take much wood from them, and turn it into the great machine. A machine which they shall call “The Dragon of Virgintraded”. Soon, all enemies shall burn.

DF2-0019.jpg

15th Felsite, 257

The unfathomable ones have bestowed a vision upon one of the weaponsmiths. He went mad from the revelation, as could be expected, but soon he will unveil to the world his greatest masterpiece.

DF2-0020.jpg

The windmills are finished, but they do not work! Apparently the excavated part of the volcano does not have enough wind! Fine! They shall collapse everything on top of it to expose it to the full fury of the chilling death howling above!

DF2-0023.jpg

The broker has traded the wealth of Virgintraded, golden jewelry and crafts, for wood, alcohol and food, just as he has been instructed in his dreams. Our stockpiles are full, as soon as the windmills are operational, work on the Dragon shall resume!

DF2-0024.jpg

DF2-0025.jpg

It is beautiful, a weapon symbolizing the rule of our Eldritch Overlords, those with names we are unable to speak, those that shape the fabric of reality when they dream.

DF2-0026.jpg

Filthy elves! They have led the servants of decline here! Remove goblins fishmen from premises you dolts! Raise the drawbridge!*

*Yeah I canceled the old one and built a new one out of rock and connected it to a leaver, an ice bridge over a volcano crated makes no fucking sense. Either way I left the 3 square wide path to the right of it and filled it with
traps made out of junk silver/copper weapons collected from dead enemies and iron serrated discs/blades.

DF2-0029.jpg

The traps are performing as expected.

DF2-0031.jpg

DF2-0032.jpg

A few of them broke past the defenses and engaged out militia, but the dwarves valiantly slaughtered the invaders!

DF2-0034.jpg

DF2-0035.jpg

A section of a cavern collapsed on one of the miners, he has since been crippled and moved to the hospital where he slowly awaits death. His sacrifice shall not go in vain.*

*Seriously the hospital is more a hospice since the dorfs are guaranteed to die if they end up there as they are unable to be given fresh water.

DF2-0037.jpg

More cave-ins, bloody miners don’t know a thing about work safety. Then again, such fools do not deserve to be taught how to ascend!

DF2-0040.jpg

The call beckons them like moths to a flame. IA IA!

DF2-0043.jpg

3rd Malachite, 257

After suffering *some* minor loses, Virgintraded stands at 89 dwarves. Food and drink stores are filled to the brim and the militia has two full squads of 10 dwarves each.

DF2-0045.jpg

12th Malachite, 257

SerratedBiz, the legendary sculptor and craftsdwarf, has been instructed in his dreams to engrave the hall leading into my tomb with the images of dwarven glory. He's done a splendid job, unlike most of the other useless dolts. He will be the first to ascend, if he keeps being as dwarven and useful as he is so far.

DF2-0050.jpg

Sadly, Azira has died in the hospital. He met the same fate as the other crippled miners, unable to drink he died out of thirst as nobody could find any fresh water to give to him.

DF2-0053.jpg

The great entrance hall and trading chamber has been engraved with beautiful reliefs. All entering Virgintraded shall witness its glory and rich history preserved for eternity in stone!

DF2-0054.jpg

Humans! Hopefully they have weapons or metal bars to trade.

DF2-0056.jpg

A child is useless, let them take it! More will be drawn into Virgintraded, more shall enrich its halls with their labor!

DF2-0059.jpg

The tall surface dwellers have led more evil into our glorious fortress! Bloody fools! Even now they attack our miners, who are excavating the top of the northern volcano cliff.

Due to a critical lack of miners and the hazard of excavating the top of the volcano, I have used my influence to suspend the excavations for now. The miners are needed elsewhere, as Virgintraded needs more gold and a new source of iron.

DF2-0061.jpg

They’re elves?! Wretched creatures! Purge the elves! Kill them all!

DF2-0067.jpg

DF2-0068.jpg

The combat is fierce and bloody, many fall despite the traps and human guards severely weakening the attackers. Their sacrifices shall not be forgotten.

DF2-0073.jpg

After much fighting only 48 dwarves remain in Virgitraded, its militia is decimated. But it is enough to make Virgintraded strong again.

DF2-0078.jpg

10 new migrants arrive, a lot of them are useless. But they will make fine recruits, the militia is slowly becoming stronger once again.

DF2-0081.jpg

The Forgotten Beast Ak has claimed the deep underground cavern as its new lair. Fortunately the cavern in question, even if filled with fresh water, was far too deep to be used by the dwarves. Virgintraded is safe from the eyeless terror, for now.

DF2-0081.jpg

While many dwarves have died, new ones continue the precious labor of gold mining. Gold is Virgintraded’s most precious resource after all. It is what makes it the wealthy settlement that it is, it is what beckons more to join us. Apart from the call of the eldritch gods that is.

DF2-0090.jpg

More chambers are engraved with the glorious message of our benefactors, soon all will learn to obey their whispers and help them achieve their great task.

DF2-0092.jpg

14th Timber, 257

It came to him in his sleep, a vision somewhat insane but oh-so irresistible. An artifact he will forge. It will be magnificent.

DF2-0093.jpg

Finally a dwarven caravan has arrived, hopefully they will have the necessary items that we require.

DF2-0095.jpg

DF2-0096.jpg

Ah! With this toy future generations shall learn how to maim and kill before they learn to speak! Truly the powers-beyond-understanding have blessed us!

IA! IA!

DF2-0099.jpg

23rd Timber, 257

A thief! The militia disposes of him quickly, he shall not steal the fruit of dwarven labor!

DF2-0102.jpg

The artisans engrave the walls of our wood storage with images dedicated to carpentry, the art of torturing wood. If we ever capture any elves, we shall imprison them next to our carpenter’s workshop, so that they may witness how we defile the trees they worship so much.

DF2-0104.jpg

How is this possible? Have not all bodies been properly buried?

DF2-0105.jpg

Ah yes, the many dead from the great summer battle still litter the glacier, their bodies frozen stiff in the cold. The living have been told to collect the bodies, give them a proper burial. Oh and reclaim their weapons naturally.

DF2-0109.jpg

The dolts try to negotiate, but the greedy son-of-an-elven-whore demands more! Furious he rejects a 25% profit and packs. What a bloody moron!*

*Yeah, I should have brought in more crafts as we have a ton of them, would be able to get some fine steel weapons, bars and lots of other stuff.

DF3-0002.jpg

2nd Moonstone, 257

A horse, named Andyman for some reason, severely injures a foolish thief! It was a bloody spectacular show! I hope the engraves carve it into the walls, so that this fine moment will be forever remembered!

DF3-0006.jpg

DF3-0007.jpg

DF3-0009.jpg

Such fine piece of dwarven art! They enrich the fortress!

DF3-0011.jpg

SerratedBiz why the hell are you carving fucking burgoise reactionary elves?

DF3-0016.jpg

More enemies! Kill them all!

DF3-0019.jpg

DF3-0020.jpg

DF3-0027.jpg

The traps as always maim the aggressors before they reach the other side of the great crater bridge.

DF3-0028.jpg

26th Obsidian, 257

Another ambush! Where are all of them coming from? No matter, only one dwarf died during the last one and this one will be no different.

DF3-0029.jpg

It looks like the good doctor Is done for. Oh well, it’s not like any patient ever left Virgintraded’s hospital alive.

DF3-0030.jpg

A few of the invaders make the mistake of walking onto the bridge as it is raised, they fall into the crater below. Such is the fate of inferior beings.

They’re also being lead by a swordself, since when those pansies can fight?

DF3-0033.jpg

Either way the glorious mechanical contraptions maim the elf, take that you magic loving bugger!
That should be the last of the invaders…

DF3-0035.jpg

..or not. Another cursed ambush!

DF3-0039.jpg

Either way the year has come to an end. We have 54 dorfs and despite losing a lot of them they’re rather happy, must be all the gold, alcohol and glorious engravings that keep them happy.

Stuff to do (that wasn’t on the screenshots for some reason):
- finish replacing the drab stone tables and thrones in the dining hall with shiny gold ones. There should be a bunch queued up, but we may need to forge more. Either way I think roughly half of those has been replaced IIRC.
- if it is possible to change the current location of the windfarm to be “outside” by excavating the rock above it, do so. Although be careful, the dwarves are retarded and we lost like 25 miners trying to excavate that.
- either way if the above is impossible, find a relatively large and flat piece of surface, wall it off and build a windfarm inside it connected via axels to somewhere within the fortress. Overall what I wanted to do was to build 2-3 magma pumps which would pump magma onto the main bridge from the crater. Floodgates would have the pumps retain a bunch of magma so that if a siege came, the building-destroying enemies would get flooded with magma if they destroyed any of the floodgates.
- smooth and engrave the natural rock around the Tomb and Shrine of Hellraiserin. I dug a 1-tile wide tunel around the wall and started smoothing and engraving it (as well as mining a nearby gold vein).
- store/melt some of our new looted weapons, I expanded the weapon and armor storage around the barracks but we’re still out of room for more.
- find iron or mine some adamantine. Not to mention mine more gold.
- engrave more living quarters, I had the dorfs engrave most of them.
- get some gold furniture for the empty quarters, I had a bunch of gold chests made but we need more.
- don’t piss off more merchants, get more wood, iron and flux stone+coal if possible.

If we played after they added minecarts we could make a minecart goblin shredder of doom. Good luck entering the fortress when 3 or more tracks filled with speeding minecarts are in your way :troll:

TripJack

Hedonist
:salute: I would volunteer bro but I am pretty sucky at DF. Plus big forts run like garbage on my ancient cpu.

Vernydar

Learned
Sadly, poor Ranger Vernydar fell and was found dead. We are bereft of his glorious deeds, and we do not know how he fell. We can only hope he brought many goblins with him

Urist McLurker

Learned
Downloading the save now; I'll most likely hopefully do the first update on Friday/Saturday, depending on how the rest of my week goes.

I checked the first post to confirm that it is me next, then Nyarmith. Decided to quote the succession order anyway.
Krash said:
Succession order:
  • Cassidy
  • Krash
  • Hellraiser
  • Urist McLurker
  • Nyarmith
  • Undead Phoenix

Edit: After a quick look around, I've seen that somehow McLurker has managed to survive the last couple of years, although somebody managed to lose Kib Kolethab, whom I have just confirmed as I suspected to be McLurker's daughter.

Also, quick question, uh, Logem Mondulcatten has no family. No cousins, uncles, aunts, (grand)father(s)/(grand)mother(s) or deities. She's only got passing acquaintances(like, 8 of them and that's it); is there an actual reason for this? There's no other dwarves like that, one only has a father and mother, Erush Kilrudorrun, though.
It's most likely nothing, but after the vampire-scare at the start of my last update, I'd rather bring it up.

Edit 2: I've just noticed that Logem is the same first name of one of the dwarven gods, namely one that McLurker worships. Just thought ya'll be interested in that tidbit.

Edit3: Another question..How do you speed up the game? I'm used to being unable to see these blighters move due to the speed of the game; it's really goddamn weird seeing them move like they haven't had a drink in a decade..

Krash

Arcane
The easiest way to check if it's a vampire is to look at her with Dwarf Therapist. If she's got a different name there, then it's confirmed. But I think it's more likely that we just ran out of world gen dwarfs, and now get random generated ones. Or maybe it's just a bug.

Urist McLurker

Learned
The easiest way to check if it's a vampire is to look at him with Dwarf Therapist. If she's got a different name there, then it's confirmed. But I think it's more likely that we just ran out of world gen dwarfs, and now get random generated ones. Or maybe it's just a bug.
Ah yes, good idea; I completely forgot I could do that. I'll be doing the first update in a little bit, about an hour or so maybe.

Edit: Confirmed not to be a vampire. Still, pretty damn weird. It wouldn't be so weird if she didn't have near-perfect conversation skills and very little skills to speak of otherwise.

Urist McLurker

Learned
My apologies about the desktop's backround behind the window; I forgot windows 7 did that, and I felt I was too far done to fix it and I was too lazy to do so anyway. If it bothers anyone, let me know and I'll change the desktop wallpaper to black while updating or something.

1st Granite

HI DIARY!
I know I said some things, you said some things. Mainly you, diary.
But bygones be bygones! We've got a religion to recreate, remember?

Hahaha no diary. I know you're not the biggest believer in the Baroness anymore.
Even with the funny cultists. And the goblins. People say that they're deep, but I just hear them rambling crazytalk.
Maybe it's so profound I just don't get it..
Speaking of not getting it, the mayor doesn't have a proper room!
Again! Hahaha it's like my duty as engraver is half making art, half sorting out rooms!
Sometimes at the same time.
OhKbJ.png

While I was dusting his new room up, barking out orders for beds and racks and chests and to make more coffins
I got talking to Bembel.
g1nO5.png

It seems that Kalin is the captain of the guard, the hammerer, and the broker!
That's silly. Maybe we need to trade and fight and do dwarven justice at the same time. What then diary? What then!?
I convinced Bemball to put a new guy incharge of brokering. He suggested a guy called 'Bembul' but he's also the bookkeeper.
He looked at me funny, haha. Just then, a glazer turned up out of no where and offered herself for the job!
ho8Pn.jpg

She wasn't the best at the job, but man, she made a good argument for why she should be the new broker!
I wasn't convinced, but Bumbull was completely taken by her.

Oh Diary do you remember Cerol Ralidos going missing?
LzEaT.jpg

Turns out he took up mining, and got himself trapped..I'm..not quite sure how.

2nd Granite
I think I've worked it out diary!
The past years has been going pretty okay huh? Then suddenly everything goes horribly bad!
But why? Here's why..The baroness has become a deity! Shut up diary, I'm talking. Just listen.
She must've become a Goddess, and has made her presence felt known only in the last year!!!!!
She must be angry. Why? Silly diary..
cbjCR.jpg

I was doing my daily prayer at her shrine, and, haha, I finally worked out why her coffin doesn't shine.
It's not made out of gold! Some diddy stone instead. Just think, if we had noticed this earlier we could have saved everyone.
Live and don't die, as they say!

3rd Granite
Bebmul was so impressed by my work on his room that he's made me the 'chief official residential administrator'!
So that's what we're doing diary! The first thing I noticed on my FIRST DAY ON THE JOB!!! is that the masonry is directly above some of the rooms!
jb4WO.png

PUoQk.png

[Note the cursor/z level]
That's so silly. I wonder who did that. I, uh. don't remember where the mason's are meant to work. I looked and looked and looked everywhere..
So...I made a new area! A new area for masonry! I'm worried it might be too close to desginated housing area though..
bpgCB.png

6th Granite
The masonries are done! Chests, wardrobes, and armour stands are being belted out. But more importantly, there's no more noise problems. At least not yet huh?

11th Granite
To celebrate such events as sorting out masonry(!!!) and the noise problem, I've been made minister of health!
IsoEv.png

I have no idea what any of this means. But I remembered that during my time leading the fortress(Hahah good times diary!) that fresh water is important for us not to die.
I know right!? Fresh water!? Diary I know you're thinking "What's that mean" but hear me out..
Sick dwarves can't take in proper liquids because of their state of health, so they have drink water, and water cleans their wounds.
So I went to inspect the fresh water supply. There's none! But then I remembered the farms. They have ice water right? Right!
I was shocked to find that the farmlands haven't changed much - if at all - since I was incharge. That's real funny because I designed the farmland to work with only like, 20 dwarves..I must have done them really well huh?
Spmyf.png

T6T6F.png

After inspecting the plans of what appears to be called the FUN pipe (What a FUNny name!!!!!!!!)
There appears to be some place that maybe a well can be made? I've never made a well before! Make sure you wish me well Diary(haha).

16th Granite
Hi diary! Quick update with SerratedBiz, I think he still believes me to be crazy but at least he's listening to me now!

18th Granite
hrhOK.png

I hope this works diary! I don't think it will though, you know me.

19th Granite
I got so nervous that I managed to create a masterpiece!! Normally SerratedBiz does those..
tOoMC.png

NTPTS.png

During the time it took me to write this bit, he's already made two more masterpieces! Incredible.

20th Granite
RGKRm.png

For the 'health' of the 'residental' area I've ordered the coffin of the great Baroness to be upgraded to the rightly golden receptacle. Everyone just looked at me funny but they did it anyway.

26th Granite
xPECR.png

I know I keep saying it diary, but some dwarves here have really good hearing! They can even hear the warts on it's..flax outer skeleton skinthing??
Haha, maybe you're right. I'm so glad I can talk to you again.
SerratedBiz admitted that he had some dreams about her to me today. I knew it.
He didn't remember how long ago it was, but he admitted it! Maybe I'm not crazy huh diary?
CSWRj.png

He gave me the courage to open up her coffin to relocate her body to the proper resting place.
But, um, everyone knows the shrine is there, that the statue is there, and that the coffin is there. Just not that the baroness was ever there.
It's like I've been telling you diary! Only a few of us seem to remember her, and those that can't aren't sure what they're remembering!!
I was there all day ordering them to put her body into the coffin but no body knew what body I was talking about. Her skeleton was right infront of me but Bim looked at me as if I was crazy..
I'm going to try and do it myself but I'm not the strongest..

4th Slate
Migrants have come.
GO88A.png

15th Slate
I know it's been a while diary, but I've been busy investigating! I think there's something going on around here..
Nearly all of the records are missing, Only a couple of us remembers anything of the Baronesz/

Hahaha I slipped diary, sorry about that! What? You heard it too?
o2GNE.png

That's a good question diary, I wonder what that was too..
2YANa.png

20th Slate
Hi diary it's been really busy here. Not in a good way either, 'bumble' decided to start some new mining or carry on some mining or something..The whole place fell down, crashing through the floors into the magma forges.
The hospital is getting full with the wounded
N9PQ0.png

And..uh..the well is being tested. Oh ordir I'm so worried that it's too far away..The.
Haha, the chief medical dwarf is one of the wounded. And no one else has any skills to replace him. Guess who got the job???
8GqUI.png

I think his legs have been crushed a bit. Maybe. There was a meeting held, it turns out that he was the only dwarf in the entire fortress with any medical skills what so ever..So..I got the job!
I've convinced the mayor to let SerratedBiz join the new medical staff as my aide
I also managed to get a few mining orders done to try and make the route to the well quicker to get to..
7bJP3.png

Haha yeah diary, I was a bit direct with the routes.

22nd Slate
Diary, I have no idea what I'm doing. The well is working, everyone is getting cleaned and having something to drink but apart from that, it seems to be a lot, and I mean a lot of crushed or broken limbs.
cgFPr.png

Medtob's been wounded the most, with a lot of major injuries, I think maybe most of them will live but Medtob is lucky to be alive, she was found near two dead dwarves on the forge level.
I've got to go to do some suturing. I got some teaching from a fellow who did some knitting many years ago. That's good enough right? SerratedBiz did some investigating for me during his off hours and discovered a very damaged coffin, he did a sketch of some writing on it. We think it says 'Ralebal', it's not much but it's something.

Wish me luck!

2nd Felsite
CRRhE.png

Suddenly there was a lot of noise, moreso than normal, the sounds of weaponry and armour being drawn. I've lived here long enough to know what that means.

4th Felsite
hm4ba.png

I heard from one of the soldiers that the traps worked, completely slicing the minotaur to bits. "It was like dropping fluffy wamblers into a volcano" he later told me.
8tvVQ.png

13th Felsite
I've just heard that the elves are coming. Time for Logem to earn her keep, huh??
qnKnV.png

19th Felsite
l0UFg.png

Oh dear.
J8pyp.png

hsAkP.png

cLiqj.png

yJMG9.png

7qyvL.png

OE3KQ.png

vgJmb.png

:what:

21st Felsite
Nq9HG.jpg

The mayor just stared at them. Kalin ordered a wall to be built behind the soldiers and told us to run.
zw0BP.jpg

And to lock the hatches after us. I heard cries of pain as I never heard them before as I locked the last hatch.
Monsterous howls and wails of madness. It made me miss the hospital..
d54hL.jpg

uauvw.png

The second wave followed the first shortly, we knew they would..But there was just so many of them
AjnRr.jpg

LBj2x.jpg

22nd
diary I don't think I like it here anymore

[Tl;DR: Oh shit. Question: Admit defeat or wall up and stay alive?

Okay, so first of all, I have no idea why I couldn't put the Baronesses' body in her rightful tomb; nearly all of the other dwarves were on the list of those that could be buried(those long dead and alive), but not the baroness; I even went back to Krash's save from like, the first year, to check the wood burners' original name, and I looked for that. No dice. So, uh, the baronesses' body is just lying on the floor infront of the shrine. Whoops.

The siege. Jesus cried, there was so many of them they were literally pushing each other off into the volcano. I had added maybe 6 more traps to the entrance and about 30 of the deep goblins were killed. Half the militia could barely hold their fucking weapons, and the over half could barely manage much more than that. To say it was a slaughter would be an understatement. It was basically 6 dwarves and some unarmed elves and a couple horses against maybe 100+(my guess is about 109-111 of them, though 30 or so are dead now) horrors from the deep.

I walled up because I wanted to see the prisoners of ice in action, and to ask you guys what to do. So it's there for me to have my cake(see them in action) and eat it too(ask you guys without the PoI murdering the whole fortress after testing the military before I could ask).
I'm kind of against walling up and hiding because it's a bit cheap, but if I open up the fortress it's basically dead. It's that simple, there's nothing that can be done to stop it.
So either open up and admit defeat, or wall up and keep going.

The good news is that the hospital is finally working and is no longer a death sentence, so we've got that going for us.]

Cassidy

Arcane
Best way to defeat a Prisoner of Ice is a cave-in trap, and unless others destroyed it I had one right at the entrance of the fortress, somewhere above some different floor tilings as a marker.

Or you could trap them into the fancy sacrifical chamber I designed a few updates ago. The kind of chamber that gives an ironic choice for the victims: to jump into the magma or to let the prisoners of ice devour them.

Using a regular military in DF against prisoners of ice is as likely to suceed as the Prisoner of Ice Let's Play is to get finished.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Would any of you guys just happen to know whether or not demons can swim up a volcano? :M

Next update ought to be out this Thursday or Friday, been slightly swamped this week.

Vernydar

Learned
Would any of you guys just happen to know whether or not demons can swim up a volcano? :M

Next update ought to be out this Thursday or Friday, been slightly swamped this week.

This is dwarf fortress. Always assume the worst. It does not matter if silly people tell you it can't be, always assume the worst.

TripJack

Hedonist
:lol: what a glorious question

i am pretty sure that magma doesn't kill them, so i think that if they have a path over to and up the volcano they will take it

Urist McLurker

Learned
Unless I'm much mistaken, it's only one more bump until the next page. Update later today, sorry about the delay, etc, etc.

I've got this update done, and then it's just the last one for Winter to do; after which I'll post the save.
Apart from the literal hordes of the underworld exploding out of the volcano to play bloody murder with us, it's going fine. Oh and did you know that Prisoner's of Ice can seemingly survive magma/lava? I'm sure Cassidy knew that but I sure as fuck found out the FUN way.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well in that case, bumpedity bump for the greater FUNnier good.

Urist McLurker

Learned
25th Felsite
h7w5t.png

Cerol Ralidos has got trapped again.
RiHuU.png

People have been saying that it's worth a shot, but only when the moment is right.
I didn't think we had any hunters and there's a siege going on!

14th Hematite
There's been a new military conscripted, the hospital is working? At least no one's died right?
That's all the good news, I guess. I heard they failed to stem the siege..

16th Malachite

Good news and bad news! The good news is that most of the hospital have gotten up and left!
Some of them are even back to work! I don't know if they're healed or not but whatever!!!
The bad news is that we had our first death at the hospital.
7Yt8R.png

1st Galena
nQyPI.png

The lever is nearly linked up properly! Taken all summer haha.

5th Galena
3AEqr.png

Typical! Siege ends just as the work is 'completed'..
Huh, the funny monsters are sticking around though.

2nd Limestone
We tried to stop him, oh ordir we tried to stop him.
rDlsY.png

S00Rd.png

YYAUT.png

JE0yu.png

:salute:

2nd Sandstone.
Xuwui.png

h1Cvi.png

Migrants! Horrible bloody elfish migrants. Do they come to die? Logem is yelling at people to get things done faster. Before it's too late. Too late for what?

I heard the tunnels failed. I don't know I can run through tunnels just fine but.
kOz66.png

6bQJz.png

rt7gX.png

(I wasn't quite sure how pressure + magma/lava + volcano + tunnels worked so this level was a mistake. Oh and that it's got no magma on that level. That's the main mistake I made.)
DmmBn.png

"Due to various reasons and despite my best efforts, the next plan shall not fail." I took a glance at his diary! He ran off really quickly after writing this part.
8GKtW.png

"Multiple safety precautions have been put in place." Diary I know we have our doubts about Logem but anyone who puts our safety first has to be not so bad!
Fsa1T.png

VyRUC.png

8th Timber
DIARY I'VE DONE IT
zHNtw.png

It's taken ALL AUTUMN but I've saved the stupid migrants. The bloody dolts have been trying to get past the prisoners of ice since they got here.
We lost like 4 or 5 of them, but at least the fortress has grown, huh? I better start giving them rooms!!!!!!!!

16th Timber
"
aqzmx.png

We have cleared out a few levels and it's time to breach the next.
OFP6O.png

We've reached the ends of the world.
sRCgm.png

W2vzu.png

LnsUQ.png

x5CkP.png

NP4A7.png

tKS4y.png

ypYnf.png

JPQRc.png

Oh. The hatch we put in at the last minute to try and prevent any foolish enough dwarves from running towards the demons has managed to keep the demons out.
Not the 14 levels of prevention I've set up. Nevermind.
We have come across one possible problem, however..
kED6U.png

Perhaps they'll find a way up the volcano?"
Diary, what are those things? I.. don't know either.

18th Timber
Eic4z.png

The poor fools will be able to send word back to the capital.
LowMT.png

So will those dolts! Join the party guys, we've only just unleashed the demons of the underworld over here. You'll fit right in! We just need to invite the elves to meet up with their demon mothers and we'll be set.

MyrDk.png

YUfLu.png

D60pS.png

(Seems like the army of the underworld has become distracted by a magma crab, who is hellbent(literally) on saving the day.)

r13iC.png

Like lambs to the slaughter

1st Moonstone
fjnM0.png

We believe that the demons are on their way up to the top of the volcano. Diary, everyone's in a state of panic so I did what must be done.
Logem has been 'framed' for murder, and a new hammerer has been appointed; SerratedBiz. Only we know who caused this, his diary has disappeared.
Melbil, Ilral, Moldath and Bembul have projected the believed rated of incline the demons are coming up with; they are to reach level 42 by the 4th.
yhwIL.png

We believed that a fight has been raging on inside of the volcano, it has been very very very very very active recently! Otherwise they should be here by now and we'd all be, hahaha, dead.
Thankfully some journals collected around the kingdom have allowed us to have a minimal knowledge upon the speed of things in lava.
The monsters should incline 14 times a day. By the 8th they should be in the 90z levels. We will all die before the month is even half over.
At the end of the day, they'll be at over 100 z levels.
Diary I've made many mistakes, least of all was coming here(hahahahaha!), and it looks like that this place, the grave of my family shall be my grave.
At least by the time I finish writing this, Logem will be dead.
glnoD.png

(Epic crop ftw)

6th Moonstone

Moldath has finished the military meeting!! It was lots of fun.. We discovered that the prisoners of ice can swim..or something in lava! It seems that way anyway!!! SO MUCH FOR THE ICE PART HUH?
Haha more importantly over the past few days we've been documenting the weakness of the fortress towards the volcano.
The first is on level 122, which leads to the, uh, diary what's that thing called? Temple? Haha, that's funny.
The second is on level 131, the FUN pipe might be an entrance for the demons..

Level 132 features multiple entry ways, but even with the magma forges, there's something more dangerous; we have a random pit of lava!
AYjeU.png

When did that get there? That's a major danger. 133 features the failed trap torture death tunnels, and above that is the entrance bridge!
We'll just have to wait and see, huh?

DxNnI.png

(Here's a Prisoner of ice being chased in magma...)
OjRGh.png

Here's the same one a couple days later. There is currently 11 demons beating the absolute shit out of her. And about 20 more coming upwards directly under her.
It looks like there's about 40-50 or so of them in total coming up the volcano.

Will the fortress survive? Shall the demons of the depths, and the demons of the underworld be defeated?

Don't worry guys, I've got this all under control. You remember earlier in the year when the military was murdered during the siege? That was because I forgot to remove their wooden training weapons.
:M The demons better watch out with military tactics like those.
My apologies about the somewhat short update.

Cassidy

Arcane
Holy...

This will end worse than the aftermath of a battle between Chaos Daemons and the C'tan in Warhammer 40k.

I hope you spotted the cave in lever in the lava chamber of the old ones temple while it wasn't too late.

TripJack

Hedonist
:lol: game over man

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom