Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Anabanana

Augur
A - Think we're being a tad over-cautious in regards to the external courtyards, unless the kingdom of Avarlos had a fail-safe installed in their fortress that decimates the outer-courtyard from the centre in case the external walls are taken.

Also, the possibility of encountering traps in the buildings seems much more likely now that we know there has been no decay at all over thousands of years.

Honestly, with all of the other high tech stuff around (water that never runs out & architecture not going bad ever), this would not surprise me one bit.

Also, wouldn't the hunter be best for catching traps?

I'm pretty sure that it was mentioned somewhere that the spy is specifically trained in busting traps... can't remember which update it was in though.

But sure. I vote that before we start exploring, let's move the hunter and the spy over to the exploration team. We can tone down the counter-espionage stuff for now. Maybe put the cook in charge, since he presumably comes into contact with the most people.

Vernydar

Learned
A few answers.
Yes the spy is specifically trained against traps
No it's not too late to change of course, if enough people want the spy and/or the hunter with you.

And, I'm still using the group 1 first in, group 4 comes after the courtyard is secured order. Unless you change that. Refer to how the groups were divided if you need.

Anabanana

Augur
A few answers.
Yes the spy is specifically trained against traps
No it's not too late to change of course, if enough people want the spy and/or the hunter with you.

And, I'm still using the group 1 first in, group 4 comes after the courtyard is secured order. Unless you change that. Refer to how the groups were divided if you need.

If the spy/hunter comes along, make them lead the exploration i.e. check for traps and make sure that it's safe to proceed before the rest of the team moves on.

Is the hunter at least somewhat proficient in traps?

Vernydar

Learned
No, not really. The hunter may be proficient with the forest and with tracking, but not with traps. Except the few simple ones he may use to hunt. He's a CIVILIAN hunter. Someone who hunts animals to survive, not many mechanical traps out there in the woods :lol:

Anabanana

Augur
No, not really. The hunter may be proficient with the forest and with tracking, but not with traps. Except the few simple ones he may use to hunt. He's a CIVILIAN hunter. Someone who hunts animals to survive, not many mechanical traps out there in the woods :lol:

Makes sense. Scratch my vote for the hunter to come along then. But still let the spy lead Group 1.

GameOver

Educated
I agree with the spy leading the way with the central courtyard since he is trained in traps. Although I highly doubt he will have been trained in the traps we will see.

Monty

Arcane
A - We've thoroughly checked the outside courtyards so I don't think it's reckless to allow the men to use a few of the buildings. I agree with the idea of moving the soldiers into a courtyard far from the Northern entrance, while they're preoccupied with moving it will give us the perfect chance to head off on our secret mission to the central courtyard

I would guess there are many superstitious beliefs regarding the central courtyard given its history and the fact that noone has explored it in thousands of years, so probably best that the men don't discover where we're heading. If they were waiting around wondering what we were doing and why they couldn't move into the buildings it would be more likely we would be discovered.

Anabanana

Augur
Actually, it might be better to place them in a courtyard away from both entrances, in case we need to make an emergency exit from the south entrance. Maybe something like the southwest or southeast courtyard? Just not the courtyard that the south entrance opens directly into.

Also, should we consider bringing the hunter along? Might there be living things in the center courtyard that we might need to track?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
We can always bring the hunter in later if we need to track something.

GreyViper

Prophet
A You know things have been too quiet, wonder when we encounter the magical wards that are supposed to keep intruders out.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Atrapitis.gif

Tell the general something like we have found nothing that tells us that there is any danger in the explored courtyards, but, it feels almost too easy and this place seems to be an extraordinary castle.

The men have been sleeping outside and for safetys sake they can sleep a couple more.

Vernydar

Learned
A wins over B 9 to 5. You will bring with you the spy. You will suggest to keep all the soldiers in one courtyard.

Update will be up in one-two hours.

Vernydar

Learned
You went with option A. You will bring the spy with you. You will suggest the general to keep all the men in one courtyard.

69 – The central courtyard

You tell general Ritgard that in your opinion the external courtyards are safe. You didn't really find anything that makes you think they could be dangerous. Maybe it would be wise to use just one courtyard for now however. Irene agrees with you, and adds that the fortress has been used for decades in the past, and nothing happened to the soldiers manning it. So it seems safe to use the external courtyards. General Ritgard considers your words, then nods and tells you to proceed with your task. If you have any need of backup, he will dispatch more men.

You return to your camp and start to prepare for the exploration of the central courtyard. You ask Irene if the spy can come with you,in case there are traps around. She quickly agrees and soon after you are all set for the exploration. Within a few minutes, your group stands before the massive metal doors in the northern courtyard. The group with the mason, the scholar and the blacksmith will stay here, ready to come to help you once you made sure there are no immediate dangers inside.

The spy examines the doors carefully, and after a while gives Irene his report.
"There are no traps I can see, my lady. These doors seem to be exceptionally well kept, but I see no mechanisms of any sort. I think they are safe to open."

Irene nods and takes out the key. With a quick, determined motion she inserts it in the keyhole, and turns it. There is a loud clack, and then she extracts it. She motions the guards to come close and open the doors. The men comply but you notice that they look somewhat pale, most likely because of their fear. Every child in Eskal grew up hearing the tales of mighty Avarlos, and it's eventual demise. They would rather be anywhere else it seems, but still they obey. The doors are heavy but silently move while they pull them. Soon a passage large enough for two people is ready. With trepidation, you all step inside.

The air is crisp and fresh here, even though the warm sun shines on the central courtyard. As you take in the view of the courtyard and feel you heart beat loudly in your chest you hear metal clattering behind you. The soldiers are trembling in fear at the sight before your eyes. You can't blame them...

A massive, 40 meters high keep towers in the middle of the courtyard. It is by far the biggest building you have ever seen, yet it is somehow graceful, even delicate. Even at first glance and from this distance you can clearly grasp how refined it is, how each piece of that building has been made with grace and beauty in mind. An impregnable fortress and a beautiful palace all in one.

The eastern side of the courtyard is covered by a dense, vibrant grove. Once it might have been a garden, but now the trees are so dense you can barely see between them. It is not dark however, it is a tapestry of incredible hues of green and yellow. You do not see any dead tree and it gives you an impression of freshness, of a place truly teeming with life. To the west instead there are a few low, large buildings rising in the shade of the walls. It is not these things however that make this place so unsettling for the soldiers.

The courtyard is littered with bodies, laying where they fell in what seems to have been a great battle. Hundreds of men, all heavily armed and armored. They are little more than skeletons now, you can see the dried up bones of the few closest ones from where you are. But the buildings are not damaged, the doors are intact, it is as if these people were left inside and then the battle started from within. You hear some of the soldiers praying to Adsal, their weapons and trained bodies no comfort against the fear of this sight. And mostly, the fear of the other thing you immediately notice.

At regular intervals all around the courtyards, rutilating fountains of light rise from the paved floor, yellow, orange and red. They rise, twist, change color and dance in the air silently. There are at least twenty of them that you can see from here, all bigger than a bonfire. And from behind the keep you can see a... halo, yellow, orange and red, constantly changing color, as if there was an even bigger source of light behind it. You can't see from here though, it seems to be exactly the other side of the keep, you just see the light shooting out from behind it.

Many men are praying now, some are trembling so violently that their armor clatters loudly. Irene turns to face them and speaks in a low, calm and persuasive voice.

"Calm down, all of you. I understand this is an unexpected view, but there does not seem to be any immediate danger here. We are going to proceed carefully and slowly, to make sure we do not take any unnecessary risk. Remember your training, and remember than we are here for an important mission for the King. I will do my best to make sure nothing happens to you."

Her words seem to work rather well, most of the men visibly stop trembling and adjust their weapons and armor, looking around. Irene gestures for you to come closer, and whispers to you.

"Any suggestions Kyoss? Not exactly what I was waiting for. What do you think we should do first?"

So Kyoss, what will you suggest? (Please choose up to three tasks, in order. Some of them may not require an entire update, this way I can chain them unless something happens.)
A) You should investigate the bodies
B) You should investigate the fountains of yellow, orange and red light
C) You should investigate the low buildings to the west
D) You should investigate the thick grove to the east
E) You should get close to and investigate the keep
F) You should circle the keep and go investigate that halo of light coming from behind it
G) Other, choose a letter and make other proposals.

Please note all my suggestions are cursory inspections for now. If you want to investigate something in detail instead, make a new proposal.

As usual, questions (about things you can quickly see from here) and other suggestions are welcome.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A) You should investigate the bodies
B) You should investigate the fountains of yellow, orange and red light
D) You should investigate the think grove to the east

Collage

Educated
A. If we can get a clue as to what killed them we could potentially avoid the same fate.

Then B and F

GreyViper

Prophet
Thank you Vernydar for spinning a good tale. Now to get into meat of things.

A) You should investigate the bodies Tell them men to loot... ehm sorry to collect anything useful weapon and armor that are in good condition. Check bodies for cause of death and if they have something that identifies their origin. Have the healer if he can determine if all the bodies have signs that they died in battle. PS Don't forget to loot the money they have while nobody is looking.
B) You should investigate the fountains of yellow, orange and red light Try to inhale the air to see if smells strangely, oh say like gas and then ask scholar about it.
D) You should investigate the thick grove to the east Now here I would use the spy again to scout out the grove
G) Other, make a proposal that nobody enters the keep until you know for certain what killed previous visitors, because leaving a unknown danger behind you is asking for certain death.

GameOver

Educated
ABD.

I got nothing for reasons why like I usually do. I just want to do those three first. Can't the scholar wait until we at least clear the courtyard of all dangers? The building inspection team is waiting outside for a reason and it is highly doubtful the scholar would know anything about this type of technology anyways....I'd prefer him waiting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom