Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

CryptCrawler

Novice
How to enter the siege tower in the lower ward?

This is what happened: I've completed nearly all of Sigil before i decided to join the godsman faction. I've lost Annah through dialogue and Dak'kon and Ignus in the Modron dungeon. I picked up Nordom and Fall-from-grace. I was prepared to face Ravel after completion of the godsman's quests, but i don't know how to get the birdscage from the siege tower. Can anyone give me a small hint please? I have a walkthrough, but i don't want to spoil all the fun!

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
what dialogue? Why did you lose DAK'KON, he is one of the best characters in the game.
wow someone who actually cares about Ignus

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Update:

I am about level 6. I have a flying horny skull and an old skinny guy with a green sword following me around. As far as I understand, the story so far, is that I was apparently going somewhere with some buddies of mine. My girlfriend tried to stop me, but I ignored her. Everyone gets wacked and I wake up dead/alive or whatever.

When I started playing I wanted two things.

1) Intelligent dialogue and characters (after playing Oblivion...piece of F#%$@)
2) A unique game setting and story (I don't think you can do better than this game)

I have a question though. My character class is a fighter, but I didnt choose it.
I have 17 intelligence 17 charisma 16 wisdom. I want to be magic user.

How do you change classes?

bryce777

Erudite
You have to be trained later to become a magic user.

Crypt guy - restart. If you actually dumped them they are gone. You can learn somewhere in the mortuary how to revive dead, so if they are still there but dead then you can learn and retry from there.

Once you kill the abishai for the mage character int he temple area, you should know how to get into the siege tower. You will need to get the cage and all that crap eventually,t hough, anyhow....

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
vazquez: You can talk to the midwife in Ragpicker's Square and have her train you in 'the Art'.

Also, you can learn how to enter the Siege Tower by talking to Lazlo in the market in Lower Ward.

CryptCrawler

Novice
Funny thing is, it seems to me, that you can only enter the tower AFTER you have spoken to Lazlo. I reloaded an earlier game. Dak'kon is again with me, Annah disappeared after i told her, i wouldn't need her. I'm now at Baator. In my team is Morte, Dak'kon, Nodrom, Fall-From-Grace and the Mercykiller.

'Beautiful' Ravel was great - a big surprise!
Curst was a little bit disappointing - nevertheless this is the best game i've ever played.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Yeah, Curst underground was pretty bad. I had to have Nodrom kill all those Mercykillers all by himself.

HotSnack

Cipher
Duplication, blacksphere and any other AoE spell of your choice makes that part of the game go down a lot better.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Update on my game experience (Topic starter)

All right I started the game having a lot of fun exploring this strange world and learning about myself. I did a bunch of quest before deciding to find Pharod.

When I finally find him I am assuming there will be some kind of showdown. After all, this guy keeps dragging me to the mortuary (when I am not supossedly dead yet) and has maybe stolen my journal. So when I get the dialogue options I am expecting an option to beat him down or at least threaten him to tell me something. What do I get? Nothing. We talk for a little bit and he sends me on a quest. WTF??? My character has high intelligence, charisma and whatnot.

"Gee Pharod you are like making money off my death and stealing shit from me, but I'll gladly do a quest for you after you promised to tell me something."

This is a big let down in the story for me, because it seems like it's only purpose is to lengthen the game. It took me a while to get to him. Why not just continue the story, instead of having a stupid fedex quest. Now I am crawling through a crypt killing monster after monster ala final fantasy.

Someone tell me the story picks up again soon because this makes me not want to continue.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Well, you've misunderstood what Pharod was doing, he wasn't the guy who was killing you, he was just making money off of your "corpse". It's part of the plot, you'll understand when you get closer to the end.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I know he wasn't killing me (at least it seems to hint at it in several dialogues) but making money off my corse again and again would make me a little angry. Additionally while I was able to ask everyone around the city if they knew where my journal was, I wasn't allowed to ask Pharod (even though some even suggested he might know).

That and most people have told me what a bad guy Pharod was yet my character responses are mostly (all?) neutral.

The first time meeting Pharod could have been an opportunity for some clever dialogue maybe some deception on one(both) side(ed). (after all he's part of the main story). Instead it's off to the crypt with annoying ass booby traps (no questions asked).

FaranBrygo

Educated
vazquez595654 said:
Update on my game experience (Topic starter)

"Gee Pharod you are like making money off my death and stealing shit from me, but I'll gladly do a quest for you after you promised to tell me something."

Why not just continue the story, instead of having a stupid fedex quest. Now I am crawling through a crypt killing monster after monster ala final fantasy.
Go back and read the dialogue rather than clicking as fast as you can. The game is much better if you actually take the time to read.

Slylandro

Scholar
vazquez595654 said:
When I finally find him I am assuming there will be some kind of showdown. After all, this guy keeps dragging me to the mortuary (when I am not supossedly dead yet) and has maybe stolen my journal. So when I get the dialogue options I am expecting an option to beat him down or at least threaten him to tell me something. What do I get? Nothing. We talk for a little bit and he sends me on a quest. WTF??? My character has high intelligence, charisma and whatnot.

[...] Now I am crawling through a crypt killing monster after monster ala final fantasy.

Someone tell me the story picks up again soon because this makes me not want to continue.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! FINISH TEH GAME!!! :oops: When you first encounter Pharod and have to do this menial chore for him, it'll seem stupid and pointless. And to a certain extent it is kind of stupid. But it's definitely not pointless either in terms of game design or in terms of the story, you'll understand at the end of the game once you learn the significance of the sphere.

With the exception of a few areas, PS: T is mostly nonviolent, so don't expect too much in the way of threatening people. It'll pop up now and then, but usually it carries some significant penalty. There are a couple of areas in PS: T that are indeed rather boring, but if it makes you feel better, the crypt is the first and probably worst of those areas. After that, it's pretty much back to great dialogue and some excellent role-playing. Even in the crypt, there are some pretty interesting parts, like the interplay between the various underground factions, and the factions within factions. But I'll not spoil anything. :D Most of the combat in the crypt level is pretty dull, but it'll be the last major combat you see for quite a while. Rest be assured though, the combat in the late game is very good despite PS: T's reputation.

Edit:
The best way to enjoy PS: T is to play the game and not read any more threads relating to it. I'm sure someone will accidentally spoil some stuff.

bryce777

Erudite
HotSnack said:
Duplication, blacksphere and any other AoE spell of your choice makes that part of the game go down a lot better.

Just cloudkill the fuckers (instant death) or have fall from grace call lightning. It is annoying how people complain how terribly difficult the combat in the game is.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
The combat was never difficult, just required some improvisation every once in a while.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Go back and read the dialogue rather than clicking as fast as you can. The game is much better if you actually take the time to read.

There is reading involved in this game?

HotSnack

Cipher
bryce777 said:
Just cloudkill the fuckers (instant death) or have fall from grace call lightning. It is annoying how people complain how terribly difficult the combat in the game is.
You know I can't remember where you're supposed to get cloudkill. I remember seeing it once, and then after realising I didn't have the spell I scoured all the shops for it but couldn't find it.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
I think that you can find a scroll of Cloudkill in the Warehouse if you join the Anarchists.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Nah, there were two scrolls in the Festhall Living Area - Chromatic Orb and Fire and Ice.

bryce777

Erudite
HotSnack said:
bryce777 said:
You know I can't remember where you're supposed to get cloudkill. I remember seeing it once, and then after realising I didn't have the spell I scoured all the shops for it but couldn't find it.

You can get it from that book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom