Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some quality video Let's Play!

Rpgsaurus Rex

If you had to pick one or two, which ones would it be? What matters is both the game quality and the charisma stat of the LP'er. Both serious and hilarous/parody ones (a la King of Sweden) are fine.

The genre doesn't really matter, though I particularly enjoy survival horror LPs (since I'm usually too much of a pussy to play these myself).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
deadly premonition zombie levels were utter shit, but skip past those and you'll find absolute gems.
do not be afraid to skip past the banal, shit side quest the LP undertakes - it is mostly shit and you miss nothing of value.

Gozma

Arcane
The Somethingawful guy named Niggurath has a lot of Youtube playlists of survival horror games (well, Silent Hill games anyway). He has a very low key NPR style so you don't get Mr. Unfunny trying to gag up the videos with wacky voices etc. He isn't super pro like knowing all kinds of production details about the games or something (it's pretty cool when the LPer knows enough to do stuff like mention other works from the same era/design crew/whatever) but it's clean and has playlists so whaddya want

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
retusupurae's dead to rights retribution

:M

they also tend to have funny shit

kaizoku

Arcane
Hmm, I like ProtonJon's stuff. No RPGs, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProtonJonSA

This guy is all about RPG, though. (currently playing M&M7)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Elanarae

BTW, what do you guys find it appealing in LP videos or images?
For me it's only interesting if the guy masters the game.

Dunno, it's just fun to see someone else playing. The other person makes funny quips and observtions about things you wouldn't notice, comes up with strategies you wouldn't think of, or just has a completely different playstyle which lets you see the game in a new light (I'm currently reading a nethack one at LPARchives, the guy is insanely cautious).

Players that mastered the game are nice to follow but so is watching someone who has no idea what he's doing (unless it's a retard who will keep running into a locked door for an hour, but fortunately these aren't as common as you would think)

kaizoku

Arcane
Players that mastered the game are nice to follow but so is watching someone who has no idea what he's doing (unless it's a retard who will keep running into a locked door for an hour, but fortunately these aren't as common as you would think)
Was about to ask just that.

There have been a lot of awesome games that I haven't played it, and I've been wanting to document that experience somehow.
The options would be either a LP or a review.
But I pondered that nobody would want to see a noob playing a game the first time because he spends half the time wondering what the hell he's supposed to do (well, maybe not RPGs, but in adventure games that happens).

Well, yeah. It's cool to see someone finally surpassing an obstacle after trying for a while, just like it's fun to see someone steamrolling that obstacle. But if you're gonna spend most of the time with "LOOOOOL WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO GOOOOOOO" antics it'll probably be a chore to watch, unless you're good at keeping viewers entertained or at least look like you're making progress. Then again. if you're the kind of "slow" player who regularly falls victim to this you shouldn't be trying your hand at a video LP anyway.

EmoBunny

Savant

potatojohn

Arcane
I tried to watch that once, but he's so fucking slow and disrespectful, I just raged all the time.

catfood

AGAIN
For Paradox LPs there's this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/shenryyr2
His Wallachia LP is my favorite http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFAB9C7718997388C but maybe that's just me being biased.

A very good Morrowind LP would be http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF42E442C3E955206
Most of his other stuff is just shit though.

Saw the first video of his silent hunter IV while making/eating dinner. The thing near the end was pretty hilarious. Watching the rest of it too I think.
Watch his iron man IL-2 series. They are simply awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom