Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oblivion by bulletpoints

Justin Cray

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
Justin Cray said:
LlamaGod said:
Justin Cray said:
If you want to fix the arena (and other stuff) this is the perfect mod for you.
Mod tools are a crutch for bad designers.
Yeah, fuck mod tools! :evil:
That wasn't LlamaGod's point. As I understand it, it was more the fact that it is inexcusable that you have to download a mod in order to fix shitty design. As you said yourself "if you want to fix the arena", which implies you too think the Arena is broken and that therefore, the mod tools in this instance are supporting the developers bad design by leaving it for the modders to correct.

Yes, I think the arena is broken, that's why I posted the link in the first place. I then mocked LlamaGod, because nowhere in my post did I say anything about the value of mod tools or how good the oblivion designers were.

Giving out mod tools can only be a good thing.

Maybe others don't think the arena is broken, and those people would think the fixed version sucks.
If that "fixed" verion were the official verion, those people then would welcome mod tools to "correct the mistake".

Maybe bad designers are more likely to give out mod tools, but in my opinion all designers should give out mod tools.

Justin Cray

Novice
Claw said:
Justin Cray said:
Original post whines about broken arena, I suggest a fix, random retard says retarded stuff, I sarcastically agree*, you say retarded stuff. Taddaaa!
So says the random troll.

You want a play by play of the play by play?

Here goes nothing:

Stuff happens on an internet forum. :D

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
Claw said:
Justin Cray said:
Original post whines about broken arena, I suggest a fix, random retard says retarded stuff, I sarcastically agree*, you say retarded stuff. Taddaaa!

Random troll, established troll... besides an earlier join date, what's the difference?

REX

Novice
I have to agree that it sucks very bad story, interface, AI and it really seems kind off fake. I tried to stay a bit optimistic while playing, but this game is fucked up very bad. The arena is one of the worst, I thougt holy shit here comes the grand champion hes probably going to waste me in one smack or this will be like a 15min match were I use up all my potions, so I put a paralyse poisen on my mace and BAM one hit and hes frozen and 2 ekstra hits and hes dead, it was the shortest, most gay figth of them all.

I had much higher expectations to the arena when I observed iin my first match that there was moveable chains and some wierd hole in the middle. I though there was going to be like 100 times more figths and maybe the arena would be filled with waterand perhaps some special knock each other in to the hole figths strange special events and stuff.... its just so sad.
If you have the game dont buy the official mods its a complete ripoff and they have been leaked and are pretty easy to get. I fear that the releaseday of FO3 is going to be a very sad day.

El Dee

Scholar
Gonchi said:
Claw said:
Justin Cray said:

Random troll, established troll... besides an earlier join date, what's the difference?

Claw is far from a troll. Would you like to add something to the discussion?

vazquez595654

Arbiter
vazquez595654 wrote:
Hey does anyone remember that other Oblivion clone (you know besides Gothic 2, Two Worlds, and Land of Infinity)?

Sorry, but Gothic2 and Land of Infinity are not Oblivion clones.
Anyway Gothic2 was published before Oblivion.

Funny what one typo can do. I meant Gothic 3.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
vazquez595654 said:
vazquez595654 wrote:
Hey does anyone remember that other Oblivion clone (you know besides Gothic 2, Two Worlds, and Land of Infinity)?

It's not an Oblivion clone either homeslice. The original Gothic even came out a while before Morrowind, and third just seems to be a natural progression of the series. You'd be more accurate(though not much more) in referring to Oblivion as a Gothic clone.

Kraszu

Prophet
vazquez595654 said:
vazquez595654 wrote:

G3 is not oblivion clone dumbfuck.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Radiant AI was just taking an idea from Gothic 2 that Morrowind didnt have and that made Gothic 2 a better game.

Stuff like that.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
El Dee said:
Claw is far from a troll. Would you like to add something to the discussion?
You give me too much credit. I like to make trollish replies because on one hand I often feel an urge to respond to inane bullshit, but on the other hand I don't feel like wasting time and effort on an elaborate response to some idiot, random or not.

Oblivion really does possess quite a few features that are reminiscent of Gothic, pure coincidence of course. I can't say I care, as long as Gothic 3 is successful enough to keep Piranha Bytes going.

Drain

Scholar
LlamaGod said:
Radiant AI was just taking an idea from Gothic 2 that Morrowind didnt have and that made Gothic 2 a better game.
Stuff like that.
The fact that both games have NPCs operating 24/7 does not make one a clone of another. Using your logic, Gothic is just an Ultima clone with prettier graphics.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Gothic isn't an Ultima clone, and Oblivion isn't a gothic clone. Gothic just took a few elements from Ultima, and Oblivion lifted some of those, also. Bethesda saw how everybody loved G2's scheduling so they went "gee whiz, we'll do the same thing ONLY WORSE but hype it beyond belief and have magazines fawn over something that was done 14 years ago lolzzers!" Doesn't make it a clone.

Gothic 3 isn't going to be an oblivion clone because it features radically different gameplay elements. Rather than Oblivion's acknowledged (at least by Pete) focus on just killing shit, G3 is going to try and offer an extensive roleplaying experience with mutliple endings, choices that have consequences that matter et cetera et cetera.

At face value, yes, they're similar, but other than the bloom-y visuals, it's very different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom