Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian Reveals 'Project Eternity' - Kickstarter Live

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
hiver?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Obsidian site is down, might want to link directly to the kickstarter in the OP. But maybe i missed it.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I never realized how delusional you manchildren are.
Obsidian makin nu toy!
Who gives a shit?!

Its another larping simulator which has hilariously broken combat so that a child of the age of 10 can break and exploit it.
It has writing set in a fantasy world because fantasy... erm, yeah, fantasy brings the awesome, for teenage assburger nerds whose experience with literature is limited to Twilight and Harry Potter.
And it will be as ugly as Alphaturd.
1451342-sie_super.jpg

I might would have pirated it, if the marsch was actually a swamp and they'd present decent screenies later but who am I kidding - it will be a 3d engine with typical flat, dead lighting.
WIlsm.jpg

I gotta go slam my head into a brick for massive IQ drop and be HAPPY AND EXCITED!!!!1111

congratulations! You have found 53 kodex kredits.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Heh I thought you were talking about the absence of full party creation.

Nah, that's not such a big deal to me. I've enjoyed single-PC, PC-with-party, full-PC-party. They all have advantages and disadvantages, I don't think one is absolutely better.

RTwP though...it's always held a halfway house for me between the immediacy of RT and the tactics of TB. I can understand why the idea appeals to people, but the end results tend to be a fiddly clusterfuck. Still, if they can make RTwP as good as Dragon Age: Origins, as opposed to as shitty as the Infinity Engine games, that'll be awwwwright.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
because they're trolling all the smug 'I don't use Steam' hipsters. I'm sure they'll cave and have a DRM free version, though.

And a DRM free version would be bad, I assume?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Their tiers are jew-gold ingenious. limited 20$ offers that are about go extinct in the next hour, thus forcing the rest to go to 25$.

Whatever, 2.5D sold it for me.

:takemyjewgold:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system

O tempora, o mores.
I apologise for writing these words, but fuck you, Obsidian. Sincerely, FUCK. YOU.
Am I supposed to be appreciative of this idea? You're playing it safe and designing the combat system with the lowest common denominator in mind, obviously forgetting you're not pitching your game to a publisher anymore. Men in suits deemed the TB combat "outdated & antiquated", yet here you are, following the exact same "something marketable needed" philosophy to the letter. Why take advantage of the sodding opportunities Kickstarter provides if you're reluctant to stand out from the mainstream crowd?

As far as I'm concerned, it's almost a deal breaker.

:yeah: That's the spirit! I want to see more butthurt like this, :5/5:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian said:
Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.
Yes, and it I will also cure cancer. :roll:

Anyway, I pledged. Then I watched the video. Then I remembered I my pledgefailed to be processed last time (Shadowrun Online; I didn't give enough of a fuck to correct it back then) so I spent half an hour on the phone with the credit card company. Hopefully they fix the problem in the remaining 32 days.

Random thoughts.

1. As already has been mentioned, Mayans can go fuck themselves. Seriously.
2. Bioware, keep Your Dragon Age. Baldur's Gate spiritual successor my ass.
3. Details are a little vague. This seems more like a cry for help than a 'we need help with this already pretty advanced project' type of kickstarter. We can only hope it will turn out ok. Hope being the keyword here.
4. $20 for a digital download is acceptable, but I can't afford $65+$15 for a boxed copy. I like boxed copies. :( Hopefully some people will import them here into Potatoland after release (with lower price) or maybe CD Projekt publishes it here.
5. :yeah:

Alex

Arcane
Do you guys know anything about this besides it being RTwP and 2D? I am holding a bit of hope for this yet, but they should at least try to explain what kind of game they are aiming for...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never realized how delusional you manchildren are.
Obsidian makin nu toy!
Who gives a shit?!

Its another larping simulator which has hilariously broken combat so that a child of the age of 10 can break and exploit it.
It has writing set in a fantasy world because fantasy... erm, yeah, fantasy brings the awesome, for teenage assburger nerds whose experience with literature is limited to Twilight and Harry Potter.
And it will be as ugly as Alphaturd.
1451342-sie_super.jpg

I might would have pirated it, if the marsch was actually a swamp and they'd present decent screenies later but who am I kidding - it will be a 3d engine with typical flat, dead lighting.
WIlsm.jpg

I gotta go slam my head into a brick for massive IQ drop and be HAPPY AND EXCITED!!!!1111
Can't hear you over the awesome.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Is it fair to refer to this as the beginning of a true CRPG renaissance brothers/sisters/trannysisterbrothers?

Or should we wait for one of these Kickstarter things to actually be released? Nah.

704creation.jpg

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Im abit disappointed with the rewards for 250$ +30$ i get... A signed box, a signed artbook (i guess?) and a t-shirt. No disc with all the music, no other funny small things or lore books or anything =(.

Also real time combat with pausing... Im dissapoint =( But at the same time... As you can see im crazy :)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That's the spirit! I want to see more butthurt like this

Guess turn-based would have made it boring already since according to you we are swimming in turn-based games.
Or, I don't understand what's your problem with people wanting turn-based, from a fucking Kickstarter.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The no-TB is a bit unfortunate, but Kickstarter gives you the choice to do what you want. If they feel RTwP is better for their design goals, can't say they're "wrong".

300K and counting

Do you guys know anything about this besides it being RTwP and 2D? I am holding a bit of hope for this yet, but they should at least try to explain what kind of game they are aiming for...
Read the interviews. They're pretty vague about things, but you can read some stuff on magic system, it being a world with mature choices/situations. Cain, Avellone and Sawyer teamed up for the setting design and character system, tho it's primarily Sawyer's baby.

Not a ton of details, no, but more interviews will follow.

Gozma

Arcane
RTwP though...it's always held a halfway house for me between the immediacy of RT and the tactics of TB. I can understand why the idea appeals to people, but the end results tend to be a fiddly clusterfuck. Still, if they can make RTwP as good as Dragon Age: Origins, as opposed to as shitty as the Infinity Engine games, that'll be awwwwright.

If I hear them saying shit about Dragon Age I will be less forgiving of Rtw/P

If I hear them saying shit about Brigade E5 or 7.62mm I will be more

Malpercio

Arcane
Haters can choke on Bioware dick.

This is going to be the best shit ever, and you all know it.

Not excuse me as i froze my hype until this comes out, or i don't think i'll be able to hand it otherwise.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The no-TB is a bit unfortunate, but Kickstarter gives you the choice to do what you want. If they feel RTwP is better for their design goals, can't say they're "wrong".

300K and counting
Yeah i know but i hope we will get to see more things about the game... how they want it to plan out i mean they have to have some kind of idea... Right?

ChristofferC

Magister
Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system

O tempora, o mores.
I apologise for writing these words, but fuck you, Obsidian. Sincerely, FUCK. YOU.
Am I supposed to be appreciative of this idea? You're playing it safe and designing the combat system with the lowest common denominator in mind, obviously forgetting you're not pitching your game to a publisher anymore. Men in suits deemed the TB combat "outdated & antiquated", yet here you are, following the exact same "something marketable needed" philosophy to the letter. Why take advantage of the sodding opportunities Kickstarter provides if you're reluctant to stand out from the mainstream crowd?

As far as I'm concerned, it's almost a deal breaker.
Or maybe, just maybe they want to make an RTwP game. Not everybody thinks TB combat is gods gift to humanity.

Gozma

Arcane
Here is how you can tell when Rtw/P is good: You sit with the game paused messing with the action queue for a full two minutes to get the next 5 second of unpaused combat to go correctly when just letting it run would get you a total party kill every time without fail

Here is how you tell when Rtw/P is bad: When it is like an MMORPG except you can pause it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom