Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #2: Stretch Goals Revealed

Morkar Left

Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".

:what:

I really liked BG and consider it one of the best rpgs ever made but I'm a bit skeptical here to be honest. I hope it will not turn into a western jrpg. Don't know but I'm not that excited as I should...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
p.s. The whole TB vs RT vs TRWP argument is stupid. Does every game really need to have the same combat system? Most people even the punks here have at least games with all 3 types so STFU about it. The fact you have WL2 with Tb and PI witH RTWP is a good thing. GAMES BEING DIFFERENT IS A GOOD THING.
A TB Post-apo RPG and a RTwP fantasy RPG...

This "rebirth" of RPGs shall be known as the Age of Creative Bankruptcy

mondblut

Arcane
1.1 million, Base Goal – Achieved!

They must be biting their elbows they only asked for 1M. Once the base goal is achieved, the flood of pledges will dry out a lot. Not to mention stretch goals are... unimaginative, to say the least. They probably made them up on the fly.​

1.4 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!

1.8 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!

Right, selling DLCs in advance for pledges :smug:

Also, WTF?​

Base game includes... five companions.
Get your own house in the game... where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".​

Five companions in a party of how many? Disregard my "BG copycat" statement, this has NWN/KOTOR crap written all over it. Bioware-pandering fulltime. Hey, Volly already loves this one!​

Disappointing stretch goals to say the least... But I won't give up on them yet. Obviously they are catering to a "different" audience to get more money for their project, than if they were catering to people like us. Maybe that will help them make a better game for all of us in the end (because of more money).

What does it even mean "people like us"? I'm perfectly fine with the stretch goals. More races, companions, factions, regions and story. What the fuck did anyone expect?
Fucking whiners :decline:

Companions and house where you "chillax". :roll:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Since there are only 5 companions this would imply that not all of them can go with you implying a party size of less than 6. Shitty game design is getting shittier.

That would be horrible. Thanks for scaring me.

That's not going to happen. You people are reading way too much into, what is basically an attempt to get more money to use for the project.

Just like the "Player Housing" isn't just going to be simple "Player Housing". Obsidian's idea of that so far was Crossroad Keep and the sink in OWB.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Plenty of classes and companions to chose from should be a core game feature and not a goddamn stretch goal. Eight companions sounds reasonably ok though so getting to 2.1 million is a must.

Also no info on gameplay mechanics. No idea what the game is going to look like, no artwork, no hints of art direction. Basically a complete lack of info and they are allready at 1.2 million. Could be really dissapointing for people when they actually start giving info about their game.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also, only five classes in the base game? I really hope they meet all the class-related stretch goals (and introduce more). I wonder if there are going to be prestige classes and multiclassing.

And only three races. Hello human-elf-dwarf.

pipka

Savant
Disappointing goals are disappointing. I see that they try to attract disillusioned biowhore crowd and get more monies (so jewwy). Shame that they still don't know their customers. At least they could've promised a functional tool-set.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
How shitty it is depends a lot on the game itself. In a game where you only get automatic upgrades on level up and most of the classes can do nothing but walk and swing a weapon like many of the codex favorites you'd certainly need at least half a dozen characters to offer some depth.

Also, only five classes in the base game? I really hope they meet all the class-related stretch goals (and introduce more). I wonder if there are going to be prestige classes and multiclassing.
Again, that depends on the game. But who am I kidding

And only three races. Hello human-elf-dwarf.
That would be so BSB it can only be the case.

Also can't wait for palette swapped elves with different stat modifiers for additional races :M

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
How shitty it is depends a lot on the game itself. In a game where you only get automatic upgrades on level up and most of the classes can do nothing but walk and swing a weapon like many of the codex favorites you'd certainly need half a dozen characters to offer some depth.

Yeah, I'm more interested in the number of skills/traits and if they manage to make and develop them uniquely.

And of course not boring to play.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Stretch goals are a bit underwhelming but I believe they will reach them without trouble

"chillax".

:what:
Who writes this crap?Jennifer Hepler?

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Woke up with a huge boner today in anticipation of the stretch goals and then went completely flaccid when I read them. My spontaneous reaction was to cancel my $280 pledge immediately.
Maybe it's an overreaction but I'm no longer excited enough to pledge that much. The whole thing read like "Small party size: Confirmed. Focus on useless LARP:ing: Confirmed."
And so fucking unimaginative with the +1 class/companion per 200K goals. I'd be much happier about the whole thing if they would have gone for something simple like "$1.8 M Increased scope and more branching, $2.1M Linux/Mac port, $3M class specific strongholds.".

The funding rate continued to decline rapidly after the update, so while the majority might not be disappointed by these stretch goals they don't seem to be exactly ecstatic either.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Well, they obviously need all those stretch goals to offer a full game. I didn't expect much change below 2 millions, and the 2.2 G$ offers the "larger game" option. Ok with me, as long as there's no "romance" stretch goal.
First good piece of news: they're considering a DRM free game, wasn't mandatory, but definitely a plus (though expected).
As for the translation in German or whatever, they already put it in their faq and I'm certain they're seriously considering it (it will be cheaper if there's no VO).

So, yes, the custom house is useless, but it's just one stretch goal, and I don't think it will suck that much. Just think Morrowind, NWN2 or BG2. Your character's owning a house doesn't mean you're playing the sims.

canakin

Cipher
3 races, 5 companions and 5 classes? Cancelled backing. I am fucking disappointed.

m_s0

Arcane
I wouldn't be suprised if they designed the whole thing with a higher budget in mind, then trimmed it down to 1,1 million. If you look at board in the update vid, there seem to be six member formations, IE-style, in consideration, if it even means something, which it might not. Add the stretch companions and you're much closer to standard IE party. Plus, these goals are likely to be only the beginning.

Yeah, the stretch goals are underwhelming. I'd really like some more details somewhere down the line, because it's started to sound like a cross-breed between an IE game and a modern Bioware-lite project. Not a terribly exciting scenario. I still have some faith, but the general vagueness surrounding Project Eternity at this point may drive the more hardcore audience away, and it seems to me that it's the hardcore crowd that goes for the high-tier pledges.

In a nutshell, I really hope they know what they're doing. And I hope they want to make the game I hope they want to make. I'll chip in once they confirm the DRM-free option, though probably not as much as I planned initially. Also, international shipping is a bitch.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
2.4 million, comprehensive testing, patches and actual game ending!
Play Project Eternity with the knowledge that we actually tested the game before release and are committed to fixing problems after release. With this stretch goal reached we will also be able to have an ending!
:thumbsup:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
2.0 million, Player House!
Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".​

Fuck you obsidian. I just hope that the races are not dwarfs, globlins and orcs. We have shitload of them...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They fucked up. But I will not cancel my backing. Just for nostalgia reasons, even if I'm raging inside.

I don't understand what are they thinking!? But it's clear that Codex audience is not their main target. They want Bioware's audience. Well, fuck you then.

And one more thing: We don't know ANYTHING about the game. What races? What story? Nothing. Just a map and some artworks. It's absurd to claim that you will add a new race, when we don't know neither one of the starting races.

Maybe they think this behavior is clever, but is not. With this kind of shit is not a wonder that Obsidian is an weak financial position. First angry the buyer and then ask him to buy your product. Fucking amateurs.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I would've expected some mod support as a stretch goal... But top priority seems to be a house where you can change the appearance of your pubic hair. Also number of races and classes, party size sounds bad.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Seriously, a player house for $200,000 USD ? The most indies would be able to create a stunning RPG with that development budget.

Be Pro about this. If you go over there and ask for [..] the ability murder children as a stretch goal you are going to hurt your own goals no matter how funny you find it.

Sir, I get your point! This is definitely the most attractive stretch goal for a PC game I can possibly imagine.
But before, they have to add children at all (I guess that costs another 500,000 bucks).

Does anybody know details about the 2D background thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom