Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Tycn

Savant
Probably should have made a thread earlier but I was waiting for the beta to confirm/dispel the niggling feeling that it would be shit.

I really like it so far. It definitely puts to shame all the games that are respected here for their melee combat - Dark Messiah, Severance, Mount&Blade although perhaps not the most appropriate comparison given that it's multiplayer only.

None of those games gets the fundamentals nearly as well. The animations are great, hit detection is accurate and the weapons are well balanced in terms of damage/speed/range. The combat feels really fluid and your choice of class/weapon has a pretty big impact on how you play - keeping enemies at bay with a polearm, darting in and out of striking range with a lighter class or timing your slow but powerful attacks with a 2-hander. The visuals and audio are quite good as well.

Mostly been in deathmatch since that's where the players are at but the objective based gamemode seems promising, with objectives such as razing a village or breaking into a castle and killing the king.

Untermensch

Augur
Is this the game those modders that did that Age of Chivalry mod for HL2 are making?

This looks quite good.

Be ashamed for not bringing this before the council sooner

My criticisms after watching 1 video: this is seems to be built entirely around the "Badass factor" - combat looks intense but nonsense. Music is generic. Movement seems faster and much twitchier than real movement. Battle cries are Hollywoodified and appear to get annoying very quickly.

I can't support multiplayer only games either. A sandbox style campaign would have been necessary. Disappointing

I wrote up a design for a game like this some time ago so I am sensitive to their problems. It isn't how I would make such a game

Edit: Criticism after watching a second video: Everything the same except it seems even more twitchy and erratic than it looked in the first video. Combat doesn't appear any more entertaining than Mount&Blade

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
...a fast-paced medieval FPS (Slasher with a Multi-player online focus)

Meh. Why can't there be a game with promising mechanics with a well designed single player mode? Basically just another polished version of M&B's online component like War of the Roses. Not interested.

Wulfstand

Prophet
The game's graphics look really good, and yet they're only asking for 50k $? Hot-damn.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Probably should have made a thread earlier but I was waiting for the beta to confirm/dispel the niggling feeling that it would be shit.

I really like it so far. It definitely puts to shame all the games that are respected here for their melee combat - Dark Messiah, Severance, Mount&Blade although perhaps not the most appropriate comparison given that it's multiplayer only.

None of those games gets the fundamentals nearly as well. The animations are great, hit detection is accurate and the weapons are well balanced in terms of damage/speed/range. The combat feels really fluid and your choice of class/weapon has a pretty big impact on how you play - keeping enemies at bay with a polearm, darting in and out of striking range with a lighter class or timing your slow but powerful attacks with a 2-hander. The visuals and audio are quite good as well.

Mostly been in deathmatch since that's where the players are at but the objective based gamemode seems promising, with objectives such as razing a village or breaking into a castle and killing the king.

Does the game have real momentum applied to movement? The primary reason first person melee combat looks silly usually, is that the character's body exists in an alternate universe, where objects can be stopped instantly with no regard to their weight or velocity. The primary difference between a heavy, two handed claymore and a dagger, isn't necessarily that the claymore takes longer to swing, but that it takes longer to recover from the attack, a period of time where you can't really move. This is even more pronounced with combatants clad in tens of kilograms of steel armor.

If the game doesn't have any way of restricting a player's movement as a result of his attack, it'll just be the usual derp ultimately.

Tycn

Savant
Good point, I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. Attacking doesn't impede your movement, although you are prevented from blocking for the duration of your swing, and slightly after. It doesn't feel like an issue since the classes with access to bigger weapons are the slower ones, so you're not going to be circle strafed by someone with a claymore.

titus

Arcane
Patron
It was bound to happen at some point. Mount & Blade can't have monopol on this genre. Looks a little popamolish though... We'll see.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I like how there's a splash of blood when you kick a platemail-armored enemy. Mighty foot! :lol:

But yeah, too bad about the MP-only, could've been a Mount&Blade killer if it had a similar SP campaign.

Tycn

Savant
Release date set. 16th October. There are preorders but it's $50 bucks for beta access as well.

I have an extra game key with early access if anyone's interested in getting it for cheaper than that.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Anyone playing this game? I'd have to say, it is not only incredibly fun, but it really beats Mount and Blade, when it comes to gameplay, and actual melee combat. I never really got the mechanics for MnB melee [Talking Napoleanic Wars here] and will usually get raped outside of ranged combat, but Chivalry just gets it right.

Phelot

Arcane
Didn't read all of this, but wasn't this a source mod? I had it on steam. It was an MP only game and was incredibly fun.

Steve

Augur
Didn't read all of this, but wasn't this a source mod? I had it on steam. It was an MP only game and was incredibly fun.

Yes, its based on the Age of Chivalry source mod.

Anyone playing this game? I'd have to say, it is not only incredibly fun, but it really beats Mount and Blade, when it comes to gameplay, and actual melee combat. I never really got the mechanics for MnB melee [Talking Napoleanic Wars here] and will usually get raped outside of ranged combat, but Chivalry just gets it right.

I play it with my friend every now and then, the combat is a lot of fun and when a long duel ends in a decapitation or a limb flying off its absolutely glorious. We prefer to play on small servers or duel only servers as large games are usually just a huge clusterfuck of people cleaving each other with their two handers.

Cyril

Educated
Yep large fights are a clusterfuck. Duels against a good opponent are random and tedious and duels against a weak opponent can be a roflstomp, but still take some time. Something like 4v4 to 8v8 is the way to go.

JrK

Prophet
Game is quite fun as long as you aren't playing with the top level guys who make every duel into a tedious block and feint fest. Feint is too good atm, especially for faster weapons. For stabs it is impossible to wait for the real attack to block as it is too fast when it does come. The patch is going to do something about this luckily, restricting feint with a cooldown. Archers of any kind are always a pest and their weapons do more damage than any other weapon in the game which is quite lame if you ask me. The game is an unpolished mess with malfunctioning menus, bugs, lack of server control and bad optimization.

On the pro side the combat is really really satisfying and requires both dexterous skill in reacting to attacks with blocks and performing fast reactionary attacks + aiming well, and smarts skill in walking in at the right moment, using footwork, baiting enemy blows (especially fun against two-handers as a weak men-at-arms) and timing attacks. Outwitting an opponent is always possible. On the flipside, group fights are a pain with all the side-swing-noob teamkillers, but it is extremely fun to kill a bunch of overzealous guys with a well timed side-swing or to backstab someone being distracted by an ally.

Favourites so far are MAA with war axe, Vanguard with war axe + bardiche secondary (for groups). Knight with warhammer. I usually avoid shields because I rely on sight to block, but I should try them more to deal with pesky archers. Game would have been better imo if archers would be replaced by light polearm guys, and vanguards had that stupid charge removed (it is worthless).

Cyril

Educated
Archers are supposed to be a pest and they are underpowered currently and need a buff.

I think what satisfies everyone is to have a server option to disable archers.

JrK

Prophet
I had a game today without anyone spawning as archer. It was good. No unbalance, no random arrows, fair fights, fair positioning, no massive deaths due to archer spam. They are only underpowered solo, if a team has 3 or more they become decisive.

Seems shields are pretty good. My previous impressions were solely due to using the wrong shields which take up too much of the screen.

Cyril

Educated
There has been talk of a some extremely good player achieving some kind of top score on some kind of server with a warbow.
Everything else is definately underpowered and all archer main weapons are hard to use.
Nobody has proven otherwise and those who argue against archer balance fix actually agree that archers do not achieve top score much.

I prefer circling tactic with melee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom