Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's LARP the Emperor's Finest - a wh40k IF

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Use fatepoint, pray to the Emperor, and die gloriously in his name! :salute:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I am having an incredibly hilarious deja vu here, so I'll just abstain from voting this time around :smug:

ironyuri

Guys. I know you want to be brave and all. But we have what, 25 flashlights and a flamer? They have power armor, bolters, and a sorceror with the mark of nurgle. If we engage, our skulls will likely be crushed under their iron bootheels.

We have a heavy flamer, an eviscerator, a mind like a fortress and hopefully a fatepoint.

If we'd spent it earlier this may never have happened though.

ironyuri

Guys. I know you want to be brave and all. But we have what, 25 flashlights and a flamer? They have power armor, bolters, and a sorceror with the mark of nurgle. If we engage, our skulls will likely be crushed under their iron bootheels.

We have a heavy flamer, an eviscerator, a mind like a fortress and hopefully a fatepoint.

If we'd spent it earlier this may never have happened though.

Also, Shepard/Schafer is supposedly a more than able strategist, and an excellent hand to hand combatant. Yes, we can't grapple with a heavy bolter, but all we need is to get close enough to the sorcerer to eviscerate him, while the heavy flamers pourge and scourge the nurglites.

They took us by surprise last time, they won't be expecting a) Schafer survived or b) that if he did, he'd come back with the rest of the IG to make a counter attack.

The more tme we give them, the greater the possibiility the sorcerer will summon more daemons through the teleportarium or from the warp and if the ship is overrun, the ground assault will fail and the planet will have to go to exterminatus.

ironyuri

y u troll meh :( pl0x explain

Edit: Also, remember, last time we decided to puss out (with the first char) we didn't interrupt the ritual and this whole mess got worse and led to gg for that char.

So far, apart from not going to refinery, Shepard has not pussed out of anything. If we puss out now, it's character flopping and more likely, according to root's early posts, to lead to defeat. Consistency is key.

root also made it clear that if we'd gone to refinery we'd have earned a second fatepoint early on, because it was a balls to the wall guts or glory decision.

Kayerts

Arcane
Root also made it clear that we aren't a space marine, that playing Schaefer as a one-dimensional character isn't a cheat code, and that boldly going where angels fear to tread will not end well. "Flopping" by deciding that Schaefer should be capable of making a decision that is not based on revving up his eviscerator while screaming "MAXIMUM FUCK!" seems kinda good, strategy-wise and narrative-wise. Consistency is the snotling of small minds.

Esquilax

Arcane
Voting A as well, Shepard's tough, but he's not superhuman.

I think root's advice many pages ago bears repeating:

As an IG soldier you're certainly expected to die for the Emperor at all opportunities available. However, since you are a) human and b) not an idiot, you should be aware that unlike the Astartes that can get away with these things, sometimes you'll have to fall back and stop holding the line.

If there were ever a time to puss out, it would be now. A fate point isn't some kind of invulnerability potion, we're going to get the shit kicked out of us.

ironyuri

Root also made it clear that we aren't a space marine, that playing Schaefer as a one-dimensional character isn't a cheat code, and that boldly going where angels fear to tread will not end well. "Flopping" by deciding that Schaefer should be capable of making a decision that is not based on revving up his eviscerator while screaming "MAXIMUM FUCK!" seems kinda good, strategy-wise and narrative-wise. Consistency is the snotling of small minds.

MAXIMUM FUCK!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Idiots, zealots and martyrs. Why did you have to pick the dumb option?

I kinda doubt we'd succeed at 2, we know nothing of sorcery or exorcism after all. 3 is somwhat out of character, but makes sense if we want the story to turn into Black Crusade, since we already listened and followed his voice in our head(another stupid decision I might add).

Of course 1 is likely instant deff.

Imma say 3 but after this is over with we go ask the inquisitor for help in destroying Fomor for good.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
To be quite honest, this looks like a dead end on all accounts, just that each 'end' can be different, and differently horrible. Thus, 1 probably means we die heroes' deffs, 2 means we get to make an idiot out of ourselves with failed exorcism first, and 3 means we get to become a lovely daemonhost, what can go ronk with that? :balance:

Thus, 1. Deff before dishumour. Let's get our skulls crushed under iron bootheels.

Longinus

Educated
3 is tempting, but how to trust a deamon with his own agendas? He does sound interesting however. Still I say we drive the scum away or die trying - 1

I am willing to flipflop given good arguments.

Flopped quickly to 3

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Frag it it is better to die for an Emprah than live for yourself... But with Demon on board we don't have any chance to actually Win this so 2. We can always die Heroes death later when we fail no reason to take 1.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
2) may as well use every tool we have. I can flop to 3 as well. Anyone who knows more about 40k think that it's odd for a demon to so openly offer it's true name? What's with that?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
3. Not because it sounds awesome, it really doesn't, but because the other 2 options strike me as even more stupid than the last ~5 we did. We managed to ambush them, which is surprising enough when facing off against the traitor legions, a chaos sorcerer and a daemon, but now they're prepared and denying the daemons offer will most likely make it mad and end things for good. 2 is equally stupid since we have no experience whatsoever and were in the middle of a firefight, its not like we could send him away in the blink of an eye, stuff like that requires a ritual since he is still bound to Schalk, and the only one that might actually be able to do that is Agern.

Daemonhosts on the other hand aren't common, but they were used to fight chaos before, and as long as we use the daemon without becoming possessed we might save the ship. Agern could help us to banish or destroy him for good, but he might still kill us afterwards - Agern is radical though, so he might actually understand and have our back. We have greater willpower than most of mankind, we survived the tyrant star and we managed to shrug off the witch, all of which is extremely beneficial when it comes to facing off daemons in a fight of willpower. As long as our friends aren't convinced that we're the new host they won't kill us, provided we survive the fight. Hosting a daemon doesn't automatically mean that we're possessed.

As to why he would offer us his true name - he has no chance to get rid off that sorcerer since he already knows either its full name aswell or a part of it. While I still have absolutely no idea what sort of daemon it is, no daemon in the whole warp likes to be controlled like that. He might think that we are weak-minded and that he can destroy us and end things after the fire-fight. He doesn't want us to die for some reason - maybe because we survived the tyrant star? Seeing his hatred for the sorcerer and the traitor marines he most likely is tzeentchian though.

Is the daemon going to leave Schalks body when we recite it's name, and are there any additional rituals required to make this a safe "conversion"?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fuck it, I read it again and I am flopping to 3

Imperial thought for the day: The end justifies the means.

I was thinking about this too, but then I noticed one funky thingy

The daemon 'thinks', or whatever, in italics. The thoughts of the day are also in italics...

DECEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIVED

(also, willing to sell character backgrounds for brofists :troll: )

GreyViper

Prophet
1. Nah lets end it this way.
Somewhat funny tough, if the simple ship cleaning ended like this, wonder how the governors distress signal option would have turned out? Shame, no power sword for us I guess.:(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom