Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's LARP the Emperor's Finest - a wh40k IF

ironyuri

Deathwatch Black Templar, OR continue as a Commissar.

root and I discussed this on steam, and he says we may have averted this if we'd used our fatepoint in the earlier maze vote. Which I voted for, when almost no one else did.

So fuck Ulminati yeh that's right, fuck him. Fuck you.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Deathwatch Black Templar, at least with that we can draw up our suicidal devotion to the Emperor as being in-character.

Yeah, I fucked this decision up tremendously. My bad.

Just out of curiosity, was there any chance at all of us surviving at all after the maze?

...still think we would've turned out ok if we went with the Death Korps...

ironyuri

Deathwatch Black Templar, at least with that we can draw up our suicidal devotion to the Emperor as being in-character.

Yeah, I fucked this decision up tremendously. My bad.

Just out of curiosity, was there any chance at all of us surviving at all after the maze?

...still think we would've turned out ok if we went with the Death Korps...

root told me we'd have survived if we'd either followed Kirchoff instead of the voice inside Schaefer's head, or if we'd used the fate point to solve the maze in the prior update.

He also said we had the chance to gain the Daemonbane trait, which we obviously didn't get.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
root told me we'd have survived if we'd either followed Kirchoff instead of the voice inside Schaefer's head, or if we'd used the fate point to solve the maze in the prior update.

He also said we had the chance to gain the Daemonbane trait, which we obviously didn't get.
Piss.

ironyuri

I think at this stage, either playing an Inquisitor, Commissar or already-existing character would be interesting, if we want to be a plain old human.

Otherwise, we might need to look at playing as an Astartes if we're going to continue playing a REDEEMER DEATH TO DA XENOS type.

I do admit my voting went full retard after almost nobody else elected to use our fate point. Next time, we should be more astute to that. If root telegraphs the use of a fate point, it means we should probably use it. This isn't like an rpg where saving up pots and wands for a boss battle is going to save us. Every battle is a boss battle. :/

Kayerts

Arcane
If root telegraphs the use of a fate point, it means we should probably use it. This isn't like an rpg where saving up pots and wands for a boss battle is going to save us. Every battle is a boss battle. :/

It seems like that kind of metagaming would be subject to root metagaming us. (E.g., "You see an adorable kitten attempting to bite its own tail. Do you a) pet it, b) ignore it, or c) USE FATE POINT AND CALL UPON THE FURY OF THE ONE TRUE EMPEROR TO PURGE THE SCUM.")

Actually stick with Schaefer (I had somewhat of a contingency for this), but the only way he can go back is being doomed right off the bat, and it'd involve a bit of a deus ex machina'ing that I find a bit untasteful (and also some questionable cameos from Matt Ward's greatest creation).

Kaldor Draigo drives by on an assault bike, popping a wheelie so sick that it knocks Schaefer back into the Materium? (Before he proceeds to punch Khorne to death, I mean.)

As far as future options go, we played this round like a fanatical space marine in service to the Holy Ordos, so Deathwatch seems like an obvious choice. Though perhaps not, since my impression is that our voting trends tend to be reactionary vis-a-vis past failures. One reason why Schaefer was ALWAYS ANGRY, ALL THE TIME was that we did so poorly when we tried to incorporate a modicum of subtlety with the lieutenant.

A character doomed from the beginning actually sounds promising for the story; the cursed Marius Hax was a lot of fun in your last IF.

Playing a priest or commissar could be interesting, although it might be difficult to generate choices for us.

ironyuri

If root telegraphs the use of a fate point, it means we should probably use it. This isn't like an rpg where saving up pots and wands for a boss battle is going to save us. Every battle is a boss battle. :/

It seems like that kind of metagaming would be subject to root metagaming us. (E.g., "You see an adorable kitten attempting to bite its own tail. Do you a) pet it, b) ignore it, or c) USE FATE POINT AND CALL UPON THE FURY OF THE ONE TRUE EMPEROR TO PURGE THE SCUM.")

Actually stick with Schaefer (I had somewhat of a contingency for this), but the only way he can go back is being doomed right off the bat, and it'd involve a bit of a deus ex machina'ing that I find a bit untasteful (and also some questionable cameos from Matt Ward's greatest creation).

Kaldor Draigo drives by on an assault bike, popping a wheelie so sick that it knocks Schaefer back into the Materium? (Before he proceeds to punch Khorne to death, I mean.)

As far as future options go, we played this round like a fanatical space marine in service to the Holy Ordos, so Deathwatch seems like an obvious choice. Though perhaps not, since my impression is that our voting trends tend to be reactionary vis-a-vis past failures. One reason why Schaefer was ALWAYS ANGRY, ALL THE TIME was that we did so poorly when we tried to incorporate a modicum of subtlety with the lieutenant.

A character doomed from the beginning actually sounds promising for the story; the cursed Marius Hax was a lot of fun in your last IF.

Playing a priest or commissar could be interesting, although it might be difficult to generate choices for us.

When I asked root about continuing with Schaefer, he essentially said, "doomed from the start" would mean in the most basic sense that having been a daemonhost will have turned Shepard into mental mush not unlike TNO in PS:T... only, mushier and more emo.

Longinus

Educated
All things considered Schaefner did quite good, I wonder if his sacrifice saved the ship or at least helped to save it. The situation was desperate and called for extreme means, root yet again baited the hell from us. Turns out iron will, witchesbane and fate point is definitely not enough to resist the deamon, a valuable lesson. No?
:hmmm:

Longinus

Educated
you won't become a daemonhost by choosing 3
it's not like you weren't corrupted before, anyway

So what we became exactly?

also keep in mind that for all options (less so for 2, however, since it's not directed at YOU) witchesbane comes into play for both resisting Marius' sorcery and the daemon's possession (if he actually tries it)

I assumed we would have this opportunity anyway should he tries to possess Shepard which it seems he ultimately did, no? I thought that deamon and Shepard would act together and should Fomor tried anything funky withesbane, iron will and fate point would come into play. Alas I was wrong (as well as bunch of other guys I guess) :)

ironyuri

Imperial thought for the day: In extremis, Shepardis Renegadis.

"Do you think he'll remember anything, Miranda?"

"There's a slim chance, but we've never done anything like this before, Jacob. We won't know until we revive him."

"Shepard! He's waking up! Call the Magos now, we need to monitor his vitals."

----------------

"Captain Shepard, it's alright. You've been in a medically induced coma for some time, sir. Can you see me? My name is Jacob White, I'm with the Ordo Cerberus."

"Ordo... Cerb... erus? I thought you were... a myth. Where-what's going on? The last thing I remember was a prickling inside my skull... then he... he came. I felt myself dragged into the warp. The things I've seen... The horror--the horror..." Shepard's voice trails off into a hollow nothingness.

"Captain, you'll be alright. Breathe slowly, it'll take some time to get used to your physical body again. Our psychiatric officer is here to monitor your progress, Captain. I'd like you to meet Miranda Lawson."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Captain. Everyone here knows of your exploits. The Illusive Emprah sacrificed a million psykers in vain, scouring the warp for any trace of you. Then... we had word. An Eldar of Craftworld Li'ara T'soni discovered a soulstone which contained your essence. It was a miracle, Captain. A heretical miracle, but the Illusive Emperor works in mysterious ways."

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In the Grim Dak Future when there is only war, if you want to play it as RP game you better use classes like Space Marine, Inquisitor or Sob Seraphim who have a chance to fight mano a mano with something of higher level than basic cultist, firewarior, Guardian or Gretchkin Monsters. IG is my favorite actually but on table backed with Basilisks and Leman Ruses but without solid plot armor those guys tend to die quickly.... although not in as stupid way as Shep did.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
The Ciaphas Cain books are pretty good in showing the IG as competent enough to stay alive against anything smaller than a Chaos Marine. But then again, the titular Commissar is always accompanied by Jurgens, who's for all intents and purposes a walking Deus Ex Machina.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The Ciaphas Cain books are pretty good in showing the IG as competent enough to stay alive against anything smaller than a Chaos Marine. But then again, the titular Commissar is always accompanied by Jurgens, who's for all intents and purposes a walking Deus Ex Machina.
Cain is also one lucky bastard who spends as little time possible on the front lines.

ironyuri

1272348-98939___liara_tsoni_mass_effect_shepard_wrex_asari_commander_shepard_krogan_super.png

embrace the xenos, jick_magger. embrace them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So are we getting an exorcism like this

Complete with QTEs such as 'you have one minute from the time this update is posted to post a sequence of directions lest you accidentally turn your back and DAEMONS APPEAR FROM THE WARP'?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, I'm pretty intrigued right now. The Deathwatch marine sounds strangely compelling as well.
Just one question, the fatepoint that Schaeffer did not use, would he still have that when exorcised?

Baltika9

Arcane
root: so, Schaeffer's soul is now in the Immaterium? And playing as his soul in the Warp is an option?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom