Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information XCOM: Enemy Unknown Has a Demo

Tel Prydain

Augur
As far as I can tell from some previews and interviews I've read, the battlefields are not really random. You'll just have the same chunks of the maps rearranged differently. The aliens and the insertion point will vary though.
That’s true of the original too – chunks/tiles shuffled about randomly… and not even that for the spaceships.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reading that interview Infinitron linked made me really want to play Prelude to Darkness, but I can't find it anywhere...
Could someone help ?

EG

Nullified
They were still pretty random maps. :( That they needed to have internal consistency in order to function in any way is sort of obvious.

Tel Prydain

Augur
Interesting comments at RPS:
if you weren’t already cynical towards this remake there’s a good chance the small amount of stuff that’s in the demo would have had you excited about the possibilites the full game might hold. If you’ve been bitterly expecting failure, the fact this demo is, quite frankly, a stinker that’s far too superficial and does a poor job of representing the obsessed, tense experience of the wider game is going to confirm your fears about it. It’s lovely, so lovely to see a pre-release demo of a big game, but that doesn’t mean this was the right demo. It needed to be bigger, and it needed to contain a good hour or two of playtime, but I guess that was deemed giving too much away. They should have given more.

He also notes:
Going on from that, you won’t see many more cutscenes. That first mission is very heavy on them, from the talking military types to the horror movie-aping cinematic sequences and whatnot. That’s basically just an extended intro movie, and doesn’t carry on through to the game proper.

And:
Do not worry about linearity. This demo will barely let you breathe because it’s only the tutorial and some bonus cutscenes, and for that reason I think it might have been a huge mistake. It’s giving out the wrong impression entirely, and it doesn’t reflect the ongoing tension of the constant decision-making the game involves.

More here if anyone cares: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-should-know-about-the-xcom-demo/#more-125588

Emily

Arcane
I cant imagine why would they then release such a tutorial demo.. I guess maybe catering to the casual player..
Like tricking him into thinking game is popamole but later on it gets harder i dunno. Very dubious affair.
Honestly i doubt casual players will buy this in the first place, the most people who will play it, are the people who played the original.

Behelit

Augur
Unreal Engine 3 does not support random map generation. And I doubt Firaxis implemented it, because you'd have to rewrite that code from scratch with your own engine.

You are correct. Random generation is not in, according to the lead designer Jake Solomon, there are 80 hand crafted maps. Supposedly you won't see them all in one playthrough and when you do revisit the same location, random spawn points with different enemies.

I don't mind the UI itself, its the controls. They are schizophrenic. The Confirmation button, Overwatch ability not having a consistent hotkey, I can't rotate the camera with my mouse. Oh yeah, more about the camera, if you are perturbed by the fancy angles, you can always switch it off in the options menu.

The demo itself is moddable, tinkering around the .ini files allows you to increase the difficulty and unlock high tier abilities such as invisibility and flight.
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?139746-Modding-the-Demo

This demo needed to be longer or at least have an option of skipping the first contact mission.

Behelit

Augur
Wait, does that mean there is level scaling in game?

I doubt it. From what I've inferred from the interviews, the strategic elements (R&D, cash monies, etc) are still there albeit with some alterations. If you can't keep in the tech arms race, you're gonna be squashed, at least on the Classic & Impossible difficulties.

Gord

Arcane
I guess it means that you can mod the demo to spawn different enemies (i.e. Ethereals or Sectoid commanders instead of Sectoids) or give your squad different skills if you modify some ini files.
Nothing to do with level scaling, I think.

Emily

Arcane
Well if they have a pool of 80 maps.. i am guessing each map will be then filled with level scaled enemies? I cant imagine game would ONLY have 80 maps with predefined enemies for the WHOLE game.

Gord

Arcane
No, that wouldn't make sense, indeed.
But I guess (or hope) it will be similar to the original game, where more dangerous enemies showed up as time (not your troops) progressed.
At least I hope that's how they do it, as it always gave a certain sense of urgency.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I guess it means that you can mod the demo to spawn different enemies (i.e. Ethereals or Sectoid commanders instead of Sectoids) or give your squad different skills if you modify some ini files.
Nothing to do with level scaling, I think.
there are links to modified files in the 2k forum that include sectoid commanders instead of sectoids in the proper mission, and supposedly everybody i getting raped real hard by them.
I cant imagine game would ONLY have 80 maps with predefined enemies for the WHOLE game.
it probably is a game with finite time and a story mission chain that triggers at certain intervals including a final mission that happens whether you are ready or not, not infinite dicking around and triggering final mission at your own leisure like ufo.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Wow, that demo blows. I would consider *maybe* buying this if it goes on sale for $10, but with all of the good games in development, I don't see how I could justify the time spent on it. Especially with Xenonauts looking so good.

After this depressing experience, I will definitely be pre-ordering Xenonauts.

UnknownBro

Savant
Guys, don't buy this shit, think about it, if you buy this abomination you are supporting the fuckers to release more "modernized" strategy games.

Let's support games only made for PC and the real deal: http://www.xenonauts.com/
:love:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, I backed the Xenonauts KS. Really hoping they can pull off a good game. It thankfully will not be as crap as this new XCom game. :vomit:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
It thankfully will not be as crap as this new XCom game. :vomit:
xenonauts will probably be another TOEE when it comes out, judging by the sheer amount of weird heisenbugs in the current builds.

Black

Arcane
I read that your soldiers don't have blindspots and have 360 vision, this true?

Thane Solus

Arcane
i will buy it from the TPB store, if it gets decent, i might buy it from gamersgate too :)

thats how you get a real demo these days. Fracking jews!

Sky

Novice
I read that your soldiers don't have blindspots and have 360 vision, this true?
When a soldier runs to cover he look past it and then push his back against it so yes 360 vision.
What I dont get is how cover works. Seems like cover give some sort of malus to aim and thats it, cause most of the weapons shoot trough walls: heavy guns shoot trough walls, plasma tear them down etc.
Maybe it's possible to flank a unit in the open but in all the encounters (in the demo) the aliens get a free turn and run to cover so...
I would like to remain positive about this game cause it's fuckin turn based but it's definitely a different game in almost all it's mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom