Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Boomtown Looks at Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Review ]</strong>

<p>Boomtown has a short <a href="http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=11158" target="_self" title="review">review</a> of Paradox Interactive's Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday. They easily recommend Doomsday to strategy fans who haven't touched the original Hearts of Iron 2. They're not as sure about recommending the purchase for owners of the previous game, though.</p><p> </p><blockquote>However, if you already own Hearts of Iron II it gets a bit
complicated. I found myself playing the 1936 scenario more than the
1945 scenario because Doomsday is a very complex scenario. There are
tons of troops, tons of decisions to take and you haven&rsquo;t had the
chance to build anything up &ndash; you are thrown directly into WWIII. But
the new features work in the old scenarios as well so by playing those
I got the best of both worlds, so to speak.
</blockquote><blockquote>
Doomsday is still also a bit bug-ridden and while it doesn&rsquo;t affect
gameplay significantly hardcore fans will notice the problems.
Meanwhile the original Hearts of Iron II is by now a very solid and
well-balanced game. So you have to consider &ndash; do you want the new
features and new scenario or do you want a bug-free experience (which
is important not least in multiplayer)?
</blockquote><p> </p><p>In the end, they gave it a solid 8, mainly for the gameplay and durability. Read the review <a href="http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=11158" target="_self" title="review">here</a>. </p><blockquote><p> </p></blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/">Shack News</a></p>

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
This game got me through the lack of Codex access throughout the past days
icon_salut.gif

We should probably do a review of it soon.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I was thinking more along the lines of you doing it seeing you've done ab-so-fucking-lutley nothing for the site beyond pretending to try and do an interview and a couple of news posts back on the old forums.

oh yeah, I went there

Jason

chasing a bee
I already wrote that awesome GalCiv2 review just last night. It has super exclusive screenshots and everything. Besides, I plan to spend the next 2 days doing stupid amounts of cheap drugs. Important business, you understand.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I can do a Hearts of Iron review if I was so inclined, but it would have to be after my Kohan restropective, American History Lux review (which I'll upload tomorrow for you guys to make fun of), my Ur-Quan Masters review, and my Space Rangers 2 thingy. Oh, and the UFO: ET interview.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
He'll just keep going "it'll be done tomorrow" until Vault Dweller winds up doing it.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I have no idea. I emailed those wacky Czechs like two months ago and I haven't heard from them since.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom