Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Enlighten Me: What's so Great about Spiderweb Games?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
curry said:
Spiderweb Games? I'm sure you mean Spiderturd Feces Applications That Barely Resemble Games. Man, no one likes these games, it's just that Codex is full of faggots who think it's an rpg if it has numbers huurrr durr derp herbbpp.

Decline of the Codex.

Obvious dumbfuck is obvious.

MMXI said:
the Exile games are far better RPGs than the likes of Mask of the Betrayer

How exactly.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
mondblut said:
Exile had far better combat than Ultima, let alone Magic Candle. They might have looked like Ultima, but they played like Goldbox. The setting was pretty fresh for its times, too.

They got severely dumbed down with Avernum.
Exactly. I actually preferred Exile over Goldbox due to the consistent 2D view. Too bad that Exile had to die out. I actually preferred its graphics over Avernum, especially the awful portraits.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So, I'm on a Mac right now. Avernum 6 or Avernum remake?
The later games are more story-driven and linear but arguably better and have less filler. The Avernum remake is more of an open world sort of game, like a 2D Morrowind where you basically just quest around the world completing tasks. There's no real story except to escape from Avernum, and a few more major goals you can complete as well (i.e. killing the evil emperor or helping a mages guild stop an invasion). I've only extensively played the first one but it has a really nice sense of discovery and exploration that you wouldn't get in a game with a linear story. The downside is there is a lot of trash combat to sift through.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
OK, so the remake is an actual recreation of the first game? As in, same content? Maybe I should go for Avernum 6 if it has less filler. I suppose you don't have to play them in order to get the story and stuff?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What the fuck is wrong with my Codex again? Are the ovens not functioning?

Jesus fucking Christ. And a man who says that Turd Age and TWitcher are better RPGs than Exiles and Nethergate is a staff member...

GuybrushWilco

Educated
I really like the Spiderweb games. They are long games, with lots of factions and side quests, and choices and consequences, with multiple endings. The combat systems they use are very simple, but they work well, and they have good skill tress and level progression. The dialogue is well written, and the characters are interesting. The down side is that the graphics are bland, and there is no music or anything like that.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Are any of Spiderweb games like Nethergate? like not epic and low fantasy? Since I am obviously Romanfag and liked Morrowind, and AoD partly because those games had this mix of Historical Non Tolkien-ish setting.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are any of Spiderweb games like Nethergate? like not epic and low fantasy? Since I am obviously Romanfag and liked Morrowind, and AoD partly because those games had this mix of Historical Non Tolkien-ish setting.

Nope. Nethergate was pretty unique for Vogel in that regard.

visions

Arcane

Try Teudogar if you haven't.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

Try Teudogar if you haven't.

oh right, that game kept giving me a trojan warning in my antivirus every time i tried to install it, does it still do that?

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
I enjoyed spiderweb games more then anything released by bioware past bg2 or by bethesda ever. They dont really make same type of rpgs but not a lot of companies made rpgs like spiderweb games. I actually enjoy its combat and graphics are hardly that bad to me. I enjoy the descriptions of scenery in those games that leaves stuff for my imagination and awsum graphics might just ruin it.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Playing Avernums 1-3 for the first time is probably the best gaming experience I ever had. I have been meaning to try out exile series because it is supposed to have bigger party and thus more complicated combat.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
OK, so the remake is an actual recreation of the first game? As in, same content? Maybe I should go for Avernum 6 if it has less filler. I suppose you don't have to play them in order to get the story and stuff?
you don't and between those two 6 is the better choice.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
The Exile trilogy are the best games made by Spidweb/Vogel. After that, the decline came so hard and so fucking fast you kind of just went into a stupor and wondered how the fuck could this guy fuck it up so fucking bad. It's like what happened with all the big gaming companies and crpgs in general, except on a smaller, one person/small company scale.

Exile II is the best game by Spidweb. It is a good game, and quite entertaining. The story, what little of it there is, is also of good quality. The best thing about the Exile games though, are the spells. There are lots of spells, and they are quite strategic. Wall spells especially. You can also summon really powerful demons. Fireball animation is very very nice also.

GuybrushWilco

Educated
I have never played the Exile games, so I can't speak for an overall decline in quality, but I did really enjoy Avadon: The Black Fortress. I felt that it had good exploration, well written dialogue, an intriguing story, interesting characters, and a good turn based combat system, and leveling. I may not be difficult to please though, since I really love Skyrim ;).

visions

Arcane
oh right, that game kept giving me a trojan warning in my antivirus every time i tried to install it, does it still do that?

I've had no problems with the demo in this regard with Kaspersky. On my laptop, the graphics are fucked up though, (everything looked fine on my desktop).

Kukulkan

Learned
I always like that system where Vogel would give the game away for free but you'd have to pay money to get a code to unlock the rest of the game. It was rather convenient.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I have never played the Exile games, so I can't speak for an overall decline in quality, but I did really enjoy Avadon: The Black Fortress. I felt that it had good exploration, well written dialogue, an intriguing story, interesting characters, and a good turn based combat system, and leveling. I may not be difficult to please though, since I really love Skyrim ;).

Good exploration? Good leveling? Is this the same Avadon I played, in which the open world was defined as no-you-can't-go-there-because-you-haven't-done-quest-yet? And leveling up? There wasn't any freedom left, might just as well be done automatically like in some games.

GuybrushWilco

Educated

Good exploration? Good leveling? Is this the same Avadon I played, in which the open world was defined as no-you-can't-go-there-because-you-haven't-done-quest-yet? And leveling up? There wasn't any freedom left, might just as well be done automatically like in some games.

There were some closed off areas, but I don't think that hurt the game. I do no feel that an RPG has to be completely open world to be good.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I only ever played the Exile games, back when the first came out -- playing Avernum after that just seemed redundant -- and I found them to be quite fun. Maybe a bit hard to get into at first, but once you did and you started exploring there was a pretty tremendous amount of content to discover, and some very fun combat. I gather that the formula has been pretty heavily dumbed down in Spiderweb's more recent games, which is a pity.

GuybrushWilco

Educated
I only ever played the Exile games, back when the first came out -- playing Avernum after that just seemed redundant -- and I found them to be quite fun. Maybe a bit hard to get into at first, but once you did and you started exploring there was a pretty tremendous amount of content to discover, and some very fun combat. I gather that the formula has been pretty heavily dumbed down in Spiderweb's more recent games, which is a pity.

I found that Avadon was quite a lengthy game, with a lot of dungeon crawling and looting and the like. The combat system was fun, but as I have said, it was pretty simple, but technically sound, in my opnion. Btw, nice avatar :) Are you looking forward to SpaceVenture?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom